Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

"What do you mean by parity?" you ask...

I was surprised to see that Northern and ND are quite similar in many respects. They're both 3-1 thus far, both having beaten some decent teams. Both are 10.5% on the PP in the early goings. Both teams have relied on one goalie in their first 4 games (Jared Coreau, 2.38, .913 and Steven Summerhays, 1.51, .943). Both teams are a tad anemic offensively (NMU has scored 10 goals in their 4 games, the Irish have 9). Both have point-a-game players (Matt Thurber 5 pts., T.J. Tynan 4 pts.).

The differences that stand out include the PK. Northern is 83.3% while ND is 90.5%. The goalie stats are a decent divide, but I believe NMU had the bigger challenges in 2 games against Wisconsin and 2 against UNO (a physical and fast-paced team). No offense to Maine, but they have now been shut out twice in their first 4 games and scored a goal in one of the other 2 they've played, so that shutout gets less impressive with subsequent offensively-challenged outings. The goals against is a good separation. NMU gives up 2 and a quarter/game while ND gives up one and a half/game. I also love the shot differential. NMU is averaging 22 shots/game. ND is averaging (finally) better than 32 shots/game.

So we're back in league play, and that means the potential for the dreaded shootout. Last season ND tied NMU both times up north, and then proceeded to shoot blanks in the shootouts. What do I expect from the weekend? Tynan will cross the "Century Club" threshold and add 2 more notches on the way to his next 100. Summerhays will start Friday, but should ND win, I'm wondering if Mike Johnson might start Saturday. I'm thinking ND will split this weekend (something you strive for on the road), but am keeping my fingers crossed for something more.

In keeping with the study of Socrates, "Be as you wish to seem."

p.s. as an FYI, the Friday, 12/7 game here with MSU has been moved up to 7:00.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      "What do you mean by parity?" you ask...

I was surprised to see that Northern and ND are quite similar in many respects. They're both 3-1 thus far, both having beaten some decent teams. Both are 10.5% on the PP in the early goings. Both teams have relied on one goalie in their first 4 games (Jared Coreau, 2.38, .913 and Steven Summerhays, 1.51, .943). Both teams are a tad anemic offensively (NMU has scored 10 goals in their 4 games, the Irish have 9). Both have point-a-game players (Matt Thurber 5 pts., T.J. Tynan 4 pts.).

The differences that stand out include the PK. Northern is 83.3% while ND is 90.5%. The goalie stats are a decent divide, but I believe NMU had the bigger challenges in 2 games against Wisconsin and 2 against UNO (a physical and fast-paced team). No offense to Maine, but they have now been shut out twice in their first 4 games and scored a goal in one of the other 2 they've played, so that shutout gets less impressive with subsequent offensively-challenged outings. The goals against is a good separation. NMU gives up 2 and a quarter/game while ND gives up one and a half/game. I also love the shot differential. NMU is averaging 22 shots/game. ND is averaging (finally) better than 32 shots/game.

So we're back in league play, and that means the potential for the dreaded shootout. Last season ND tied NMU both times up north, and then proceeded to shoot blanks in the shootouts. What do I expect from the weekend? Tynan will cross the "Century Club" threshold and add 2 more notches on the way to his next 100. Summerhays will start Friday, but should ND win, I'm wondering if Mike Johnson might start Saturday. I'm thinking ND will split this weekend (something you strive for on the road), but am keeping my fingers crossed for something more.

In keeping with the study of Socrates, "Be as you wish to seem."

p.s. as an FYI, the Friday, 12/7 game here with MSU has been moved up to 7:00.
      Are you sure they're starting Summerhays? I assumed they would start Johnson this weekend. I guess he can still start on Saturday, but did you hear specifically that Summerhays is starting on Friday?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
        Are you sure they're starting Summerhays? I assumed they would start Johnson this weekend. I guess he can still start on Saturday, but did you hear specifically that Summerhays is starting on Friday?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering.
        You can say I'm wrong. There's a good chance I may be. My gut says Johnson is starting one night this weekend, and my guess would be Saturday. No tea leaves or palm reading, which would likely be more accurate than my gut!

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Another great effort. Gerths and Rust scored again, both off to a strong start this year. Lee's line got three goals. Summerhays had a good night, though i'm sure he'd rather have that second goal back. JJ For Pres. was right about him starting.

I'm pretty sure Johnson gets the start tomorrow.

Comment

Who would have thought that ND would score 5 goals and T.J. Tynan would not register a single point. Or that Steven Summerhays would not look the sharpest in net, yet still registers a save % of .917 and picks up a win. Or that ND would give up the go-ahead goal with 5 seconds left in the 1st after looking slightly lost for about 10 minutes, only to come out for the 2nd and tie it up pretty quickly and then not look back. Or that David Gerths would open up the scoring for his 2nd in the last 2 games after going...well you know.

I like a team that can right the ship. I like a team with secondary scoring (read: Bryan Rust with another game-winner). I like a team that averages more than 33 shots a night. I like Anders Lee with the C.

Comment

Another good weekend to be an Irish fan. Even though the game looked very sloppy for both teams, there were still high points to note: Secondary scoring (yay² for Steven Fogarty). A win for Mike Johnson. A power play goal. A road sweep, a rarity for visitors in Marquette. And a less auspicious rarity: T.J. Tynan going pointless on the weekend. Guess he'll have to hit the century mark at home.

Something else to note about the secondary scoring help: Notre Dame has scored 17 goals thus far off the sticks of 11 different players. That's a trend I want to see continue.

Comment

My choice to freeze at Comerica park and watch the Tigers manage to put two runners in scoring position all night seems now like a bad one. Especially with what happened in Marquette and Norman. But how often does one turn down a chance to see the Tigers in the World Series?

Nice to see that Mike Johnson seems to have definitely kept himself ready to play. Nice to see that scoring coming from just about everywhere up and down the roster. Nice to see how dominant this team is away from home.

Now they head into a November schedule that looks like it was made up by someone who is most assuredly NOT a fan of Notre Dame. Western, UM, Boston College, North Dakota... Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea? Where's Kevin White when you need him? And yes, that is sarcasm. If the team is worthy of half the pre-season love given to them by the CCHA media and coaches, they will embrace the opportunities during the next five weekends. A little success in November will play well in March.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                  My choice to freeze at Comerica park and watch the Tigers...
                  Well that's pretty cool. A not-too-often-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Maybe you should have stayed home though, warm, in front of the t.v. to help the lowly ratings...

In honor of Halloween, I've been thinking about scary hockey things this week. I broke a skate blade bad Sunday blocking a shot in my first game and since it could not be replaced I had to buy a new pair of skates...and play a 2nd game later that night on a new pair of skates! This Friday not only has ND hockey fans competing with a pep rally, but also a bball game while we root on our team as they begin a creepy November schedule. It was against WMU that we saw some scary officiating that got Riley Sheahan suspended last season.

Notre Dame and Western Michigan are frighteningly similar. Both have GF's hovering just under 3. Both have GA's slithering near 1.5. Both teams need some special potions to improve on special teams (ND on the PP and Western on their PK). Both have treats in the junior classes. I expect Steven Summerhays (4-1-0, 1.61, .938) to start both games for the home team. Frank Slubowski likely will continue in net for Western. He supposedly has been less-than-stellar in his 4 starts. He's 3-1-0 with a GA of 1.74 and a save % of .909. Yeah. Right. Less-than-stellar. Jeff Costello will be back on the ice for ND. I wonder when Shane Berschbach will return for WMU. He's been suspended for their first 4 games.

Let's see if the Irish can live up to their incantation to take care of business at home. They are doing that and more on the road, but .500 thus far at home doesn't really scare an opponent.

Lance Armstrong once said, "Two things scare me. The first is getting hurt. But that's not nearly as scary as the second, which is losing."

Comment

Jeff Costello will be back on the ice for ND.
                    I imagine Costello sat Friday for his 10 min MC penalty the previous weekend, but did sit Saturday as well? If he did not play was there any word as to why?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      I imagine Costello sat Friday for his 10 min MC penalty the previous weekend, but did sit Saturday as well? If he did not play was there any word as to why?
                      He played Saturday. I realize that was a misleading statement. I meant to simply tie his suspension in with WMU's Berschbach (because I suspect he will dress), but it came out as if he had missed many games due to his mouth. However, his injury + his one game penalty means he has missed as many games as he has played thus far. Here's to his silence (and health) and my clarity!

Comment

I wonder when Shane Berschbach will return for WMU. He's been suspended for their first 4 games.
                        We think he'll be back this weekend. Nothing in writing or in a press conference yet to my knowledge, though. Cichy looked better filling in by game 4, but there isn't really a replacement for a line that's been together two years.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I'm excited for this weekend. It will be a good barometer to see what we have in Kalamazoo this season. I'm hoping for a split, but I wouldn't be shocked if ND sweeps. I'm thinking Friday night will be a high scoring affair (4-2 or 5-3) and Sunday will be a defensive battle.

I'll predict:
                          Friday - 4-2 ND
                          Sunday - 1-1 ND wins shootout
                          Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                          Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            We think he'll be back this weekend. Nothing in writing or in a press conference yet to my knowledge, though. Cichy looked better filling in by game 4, but there isn't really a replacement for a line that's been together two years.
                            I agree. Bershbach and Chase Balisy their 1st two years were like Tynan and Lee. A deadly combo when paired up. Could Berschbach's absence be the reason that Balisy is off a bit points-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by broncos24 View Post
                              Sunday - 1-1 ND wins shootout
                              I'm sorry...have you met shootout ND?

Comment

Congrats to Steven Summerhays for being selected CCHA goalie of the month for October.

Comment

Working...
                                X