Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

I'm back peeps. Sorry for the long absence. It was an interesting summer to say the least.

Maybe it's just me but after sitting in the same seats for every game for the past 5 years (well not literally the same seats but you get my drift) I still just have a hard time understand that so called power play of ours. It seems to be nothing but passing around the perimeter, waiting for the perfect lane to open. Maybe its just me but what ever happened to the idea of putting someone in front of the net to block the netminders field of vision and then just taking shots and trying to get a rebound, a tip, anything. Last time I checked you actually have to shoot to score (something that they did not do, at least registering a shot on goal, at least twice last night).

This team just confuses me sometimes. I am not the great hockey mind that I wish to be in my mid 20's, but I just can never trust this team as much as I want to. I will always ride the ship whether it sinks or arrives at the main goal of a National Championship. Its just like they are a puzzle that is missing a piece or two and can't quite figure it out.

Maybe its just me. I am far from panicking this early in the season. I just wish we knew what we were dealing with a little better.
    TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

My first real game here at Notre Dame. Saw a lot of the same things that you two have already posted. Is Johns really one of the best options to be on the blue line for the PP? Maybe that was just a poor game for him as you said JJFP.

Just too many predictable passes on the PP, not enough shots taken early, and couldn't cash in on the few point blank chances. Maybe it's just a matter of chemistry...
      Boston University 2009 Champs
      Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

I agree with SwedishJustice. I would rather them shoot the puck and crash the net, forget looking for the perfect lane. I bet they'd get a lot more "ugly" goals that way. The funny thing about "ugly" goals, though, is that they still count. Passing has to get better too. Stupid penalties, especially with CCHA refs calling the game and a lights-out PP like Duluth's, is probably not a good idea either.

P.S. Bryan Rust had another great game. It looks like he'll be the breakout star this year. So far very impressive. I also really love that line (Tynan, Rust and DiPauli). I still don't like the Anders Lee line. Maybe JJ should consider replacing Schneider with Austin Wuthrich who is stuck in fourth line pergatory. Also, i'm hoping that third line gets going soon. They seem to hustle well, but don't seem to get too many direct chances.

Let's get a split tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          ...where is everyone?
          Asked and answered, huh...? One who has been absent forever is the other early arriving Irish hockey poster, Chicago's own IrishHockey. Wonder where he's been. And some of us are only here in spirit anyway.

I think the first three games just may be be how the season goes all year. We have some scoring talent, but it looks like it will come in bunches. 3 or 4 goals one night, 1 the next.

Something that is becoming quite evident is that within that huge Junior class, a class that managed to net around 80 goals as Freshmen but perhaps 50 or so last year, we really only have two dynamic scoring threats. How long before Jackson tries them together again to come up with one line that will score regularly?

I think a number of the class of 2014 scored way more than what we will see over their remaining 3 years, or at best played as well as they ever will. Looking to many of the Junior forwards or defensemen to consistently put the puck in the net may be a recipe for frustration throughout the season. Costello may provide similar punch to his freshman season (pun firmly intended), but he needs to stay healthy. I think coming into the 2010-11 season most people knew that Lee and Tynan had the stuff to pile up some points. Perhaps Costello's 12 goals or Gerths 8 caught some other teams off guard. Not anymore. We had the primary and secondary scoring to win. Last year it was nearly non-existent, as teams knew who to shut down. Throw in a year's worth of up and down goaltending and there's your .500 season.

This team will probably need a formidable special teams effort -- including finding someone who is willing to take some shots on the power play and bury some of them -- and Summerhays will have to be one of the league's top netminders to have anything like the season that many in the media or Jackson's fellow coaches predicted. Fall short of top flight goaltending or getting little help for Lee or Tynan on a nightly basis and we could see another mediocre -- or worse -- season.

Fortunately it's just 3 games. Roles still need defining. On-ice chemistry is still to be developed. One of the more highly touted recruits the program has ever seen needs to heal up and hit the ice. As long as the 21 guys dressed each night compete, I'll take my chances on them.

Comment

Unless a mistake was made on twitter, it looks like JJ is going with Mike Johnson tonight. Here we go again...

He's also benching Jared Beers and playing Ryan and Johnson's younger brother on defense. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Although, he is bringing up Wurthrich to play with Lee like I suggested earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameFan27 View Post
              Unless a mistake was made on twitter, it looks like JJ is going with Mike Johnson tonight. Here we go again...

He's also benching Jared Beers and playing Ryan and Johnson's younger brother on defense. I don't have a good feeling about this.

Although, he is bringing up Wurthrich to play with Lee like I suggested earlier.
              I was wrong, Summerhays is playing.

Comment

4-1 Irish, final.

What a great bounce back game. Summerhays was great again. I really like these line choices on the offense, got a lot of balance scoring. Costello and Gerths got a goal. All around great effort.

Refs sucked though, but, you know, CCHA.

Comment

I have to add to NDF27's kudos. If I gripe a lot, I have to praise a lot.

Another PPG is a continued step in the right direction. Lots of shots is an even bigger step in the right offensive direction. Steven Summerhays is always the right direction. A pretty goal by T.J. Tynan to bring him to within a point of the century mark (while still having nearly 2 seasons left). Robbie Russo remembering that it's good to rip it on the PP. A welcome back goal from Jeff Costello (along with a welcome back misconduct for a mouth that didn't stop until he took a seat--man I've missed him). And...wait for it...David Gerths (fanfare. fireworks.) with his first goal in what seems like a lifetime. That's what is meant by secondary scoring!

I can add several blocked shots from Thomas DiPauli and big hits from Stephen Johns to the list of kudos. And something else...I've noticed an immense leap in leadership and maturity from Shayne Taker and Tynan.

I think Coach Jackson was right when he said maybe the team was "too geeked up" last night. Tonight they were geeked just right.
                  "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Better effort all around, obviously. Summerhays is really starting to grow into the role of the number one. Good shot selection. Good energy from all four lines. Just have to make sure to find the formula for some consistency and the good start will grow into the good season.

And credit to NDNation poster BIGSKYND for unearthing this bit of news about the 2014 IceBreaker Tournament. If true it's good to see this thing come here. Good for it to be on ANY campus rink.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                      And credit to NDNation poster BIGSKYND for unearthing this bit of news...
                      Does anyone else find it annoying that we have to find out extra info about our team and players from other papers/reporters/schools several states away rather than from Irish Illustrated, the Observer or the SBT?

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

It's about time Thomas DiPauli got some flag love.

*****https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZT IuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS85YmQ1MDMyNDFjN2IxMWUyYWIzODIy MDAwYTFlOGI4Y183LmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=IoY_-_85qpXI23XJv5fbh8qEkxOagih6PG4P6niwNOA******

Comment

Why? Have you ever been to South Bend?

Comment

Originally posted by zena View Post
                            Why? Have you ever been to South Bend?
                            ???

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                              ???
                              My guess is a drive by post alluding to the thread title. More trolls, more evidence that this place is going (has gone) to the dogs for the most part.

Comment

Ya know, I've noticed that. I keep breathing life into ND's thread because I fear all college hockey sites are losing the battle of meaningful conversation (not that my banter has meaning...). These last couple classes my students have been discussing self-respect, integrity, unexamined lives, the whole Socratic reflection thing. They were to bring to class a symbol of their self-respect and explain its meaning. They asked me to bring in my symbol, too. I brought in my hockey stick. With INCH's demise and fewer postings on ND's thread and more "trolls" all over, my hockey stick took on an even more poignant meaning for me. For a very lengthy reason, it will always be my symbol of self-respect, but I fear more and more people view the red Chiclets (or whatever is akin to that in the real world) under their alias as their symbol.

Anyhoo. Mario Lucia strapped on the skates, and we've got our first conference play coming up in a few days. Parity is the name of this weekend's games in Marquette.

Comment

Working...
                                X