Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Wow. BG can forecheck. And they can keep the puck in the zone. And they score on the PP. And they never give up. And they had a goal waived off.

ND won and slipped in the PWR. I played around with the PWR and it is conceivable that ND could win the regular season tomorrow night and fall completely out of the tourney. Makes you really wonder about those last 3 seconds in the loss to UA(F). Or the PK that weekend. Or the PK against OSU. Or what our PWR would be if we could have beaten BC. Or Minnesota. Or not suffered a bad loss to MSU.

Here's to not losing another game the rest of the way.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

So as of this moment we are 14th in the PWR. Second in the regular season is quite acceptable given the month of January and my cynicism. I'm pretty happy with the way this year's team did not fold up the tent.

Mike Johnson had a great game. Nick Larson had a nice goal and an assist. Sam Calabrese hit a post. Kevin Nugent had a great block on a bomb while killing a penalty. Not a bad showing for the seniors.

I continue to be super-impressed with Eric Johnson; tonight sticking up for T.J. Tynan. David Gerths has completely put his sophomore slump in the dumpster. Our PK (finally) was perfect (on the one chance BG had).

So MSU plays in Alaska, Northern travels to Michigan and BG goes to Lake Superior. I'm guessing that UA(F), Michigan and BG will advance, which means Michigan would come here for the 2nd round. The disclaimer would be that I am never right about this stuff.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        I'm pretty happy with the way this year's team did not fold up the tent.
        As am I. With all they had on the line they played pretty well over the final 4 weekends, sweeping two teams we should have, and splitting 4 away from home with 2 of the best three in the league.

My big concern though is it too little or too late? At 14th in the PWR we are nowhere near in the clear as far as making the tournament goes. Some of what happens going forward may not even be in our hands. While the February recovery from the January meltdown is nice, we'll all still be cursing January if we don't find a way to win at least two, maybe three -- or who knows, maybe even four -- in a row starting in two weeks. As has been noted before, Notre Dame has yet to make an NCAA run when winning the auto-bid was our ONLY path. There is still work needed to be done -- like fixing the penalty kill once and for all -- but the team that has taken the ice the last 8 games has a good chance to do it.

My end of the regular season shoutouts are for three in particular. As JJfP wrote, Eric Johnson has been a great addition to the blueline. What a workhorse. He makes plays. What this team needed sorely was a steady defenseman who could move the puck out of danger or keep a forecheck alive. To do it while making few mistakes -- despite a lack of experience coming into his increased playing time -- and to chip in with a couple of late goals as well, that's icing. If they give the award for most improved to someone who saw his first game action this season, Eric Johnson wins it hands down.

Mario Lucia popped into the lineup, and immediately things changed. Our PP became more effective. We became much deeper up front. We became a much harder team to defend against. He scored a goal in his first weekend, and his best night came when Notre Dame desperately needed a win, the second FSU game. He's had a growing pain or two, but he's definitely grown and looks like he might be rounding into form at the perfect time. Here's to another weekend or 4 like the one we just saw.

And lastly, Brian Rust. Not enough has been said about this guy. He quietly is the most dynamic player on the team. He's a huge reason the team has 21 wins right now. He's been consistent. He's scored some big goals. He's used his skating and stick handling to create options for others on the ice. He's tied for the team lead in assists and game winning goals, tied for second in goals overall, and no regular has taken fewer penalties. He's a solid candidate for the All-CCHA team. He better get some notice from the voters.

And now the waiting game begins...

Comment

Quick question for the you guys here. I know its a long shot but do you know where I might be able to get a Green Jersey? My Dad wants one (although Im not a big fan of them). We got one for my sister about 3 years ago but that was just by luck. Ive looked on the web and found nothing. I know they probably don't sell them anymore but he wanted me to ask so here I am
          TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

So if Michigan plays Notre Dame in the 2nd round and pulls the upset, will the Irish get knocked out of the NCAA tournament?
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
              So if Michigan plays Notre Dame in the 2nd round and pulls the upset, will the Irish get knocked out of the NCAA tournament?
              Yes.

Comment

So I've been trying to work on this glass half full concept. Yay! We don't have to play Michigan.

But then the glass half empty creeps in. Ugh. We have to play Bowling Green. The team that last year marched to JLA and had to force Michigan to go double OT before they could advance.

BG and ND have both scored the same number of goals in their respective 3rd periods, they've both given up the same number of goals in their respective 2nd periods. They both have 12 players in double digits in scoring. Of those players, Ryan Carpenter and Mario Lucia lead their teams in PPG's with 6 and 5, respectively. Dajon Mingo and Robert Shea lead BG in game winning points with 5 each. T.J. Tynan and Sam Calabrese lead ND in that category with 7 each. Should the game be close at the end, watch for those guys to be on the ice.

BG's special teams total is 89.2 while ND's total is 100.6. BG gives up a hair more than they score while ND scores nearly 3/4 of a goal more than they give up. Andrew Hammond and Steven Summerhays are pretty evenly matched. Their save % is nearly identical, but Summerhays has a slightly lower GA.

Whichever team loses goes home for the season. Whichever team wins goes to Detroit to keep playing.

Charles Lindbergh was once quoted as saying, "I never had a dull moment at Detroit."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post

Whichever team loses goes home for the season. Whichever team wins goes to Detroit to keep playing.
                  I thought this to be true too, until seeing information that says otherwise. CHN also has us out with a loss, referring to us as "toast" should we lose this weekend series. Who knows? CraigP? Are you out there? I imagine there are still millions of permutations with so many teams still alive for their conference titles.

As for the weekend games, we know all too well what happens when this team doesn't play their best hockey. They lose. Oddly enough, when they play their best hockey, they win. Have we played a single game all year where you said "man we were great" and we still lost? I can't think of any. I think the results the second night of the split weekends speak for themselves. 1 goal loss one night when we see a game full of mistakes, poor goaltending or selfish plays, and the next night everybody buys in to the team concept and we win by 4.

Noting that, I still think I overestimated the quality of this particular team early in the season. I had us up along with Boston College and Minnesota as the top three teams in the NCAA. Along with BC, we have fallen a bit from that. BC in fact looked like us over the second half. Losing to Minnesota was both teams' Kryptonite I guess. I had BC pegged for 40 wins before we played them. I guess that was a little off... I still think this team is an NCAA caliber bunch, and has the wherewithal to win in the tournament, but I no longer see them as Frozen Four material. We can still get there (see 2009 for example, or for us, 2011), but it will take some extraordinary effort and maybe even some luck.

BG will be flying into South Bend on firm wings of confidence. The way they dismantled LSSU was impressive. I hope the coaches have ND prepared to play whatever style is needed for wins. I don't want to hear about BG's system, or BG clogging the shooting lanes and blocking shots, or a hot goaltender. We have the depth and talent to win. Will we have the effort and will to win?

Comment

Hammond really scares me. When he is healthy and locked in it seems like he can be a brick wall. Hopefully we can secure this in 2 games because if it goes to 3 I have a feeling that BG might be headed to the "lovely" city of Detroit next weekend.

Heres another question: I saw that our PWR slipped again. Are we gonna have to win this whole thing to go to the Frozen Four Tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
                      Hammond really scares me. When he is healthy and locked in it seems like he can be a brick wall. Hopefully we can secure this in 2 games because if it goes to 3 I have a feeling that BG might be headed to the "lovely" city of Detroit next weekend.

Heres another question: I saw that our PWR slipped again. Are we gonna have to win this whole thing to go to the Frozen Four Tournament?
                      Uh uh uh uh uhhh, no hot goaltenders.

The PWR must have quite a few of us stumped this time around. Like I noted, CHN has us out with a loss this weekend, but over at NDNation a site was posted that has us nearly a lock for the tourney and still a great chance if we lose this weekend. I know the games against BG won't do much to move us one way or another, since our RPI is relatively high and BG can't negatively affect our TUC numbers (than God...). We have been 15th since our last games 2 weeks ago, though. The results last weekend didn't move us. My guess, and it is just that, is we are in regardless if we get to the CCHA championship game.

Comment

Holy crap Andrew Hammond is a great goalie. Holy crap BG has great, active sticks while backchecking. Holy crap Bryan Rust epitomizes the term "clutch."

Steven Fogarty gets special kudos also for his play tonight. The OT GWG and the shutout Steven Summerhays pitched notwithstanding, Fogarty was just about ND's best player tonight.

Here's to even better play tomorrow night (which may be hard to accomplish given how good tonight's game was) and Fogarty being the one to be rewarded with the GWG.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          I thought this to be true too, until seeing information that says otherwise. CHN also has us out with a loss, referring to us as "toast" should we lose this weekend series. Who knows? CraigP? Are you out there? I imagine there are still millions of permutations with so many teams still alive for their conference titles.
                          I think the biggest thing for our tournament chances might be Michigan winning enough games to be a TUC. In fact, I think that might be the most important thing for us aside from us winning out (and taking care of it ourselves), even more important than beating BGSU (except to the extent that beating BGSU is a necessary prerequisite to winning in Detroit).

The site that DD linked claimed we had a 90% chance of making the field even if we had lost out, but I have no idea what their basis for picking the field was. Unfortunately, CHN doesn't have their YATC tool up yet, so it's still a little prohibitive to start playing around with hypothetical results.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

What a turn of events the last few weeks have been. From nearly dead in the waters to the high likelihood that ND will make the tourney regardless of their next game. I have played around with the PWR tools and have worked many scenarios where ND can be as high as 5th or as low as 11th. We will know tonight at about 9:30 whether we will play FSU, OSU or MSU next Saturday. I don't care who the next opponent is. I just want to win to play for the last CCHA tourney championship on Sunday. I'll be curious to see what the league has planned for the weekend's festivities. As I am not really a Wings fan, this will likely be the last time I ever go to JLA, so I'd like to have fond farewell memories...

As for last night... Steven Fogarty didn't get the GWG, but I'm quite satisfied with Anders Lee getting it. And can I getta Amen for Bryan Rust?! Good grief that man is The Man. I actually wanted Coach Jackson to take the 2 minute penalty to go up 2 men, but when I saw Bryan Rust at center ice for the penalty shot, I changed my mind.

And let me go on record as saying, I will root for BG to win their new conference every single season beginning with next season. They are the epitome of the type of team I love: hard-working, tenacious and fun to watch. They're like cockroaches (in a good way). They never seem to go away.

So it's on to Detroit and a new restaurant I'm dying to try out: Vinsetta's Garage. Are you with me?

Comment

Last night proved to me that I would have not welcomed a third and final game at all. BGSU could have easily won either of those games this weekend (especially last night after the refs "let them back in it" but thats another issue for another time). Nice shout out by Mike Collins who gave BG the props that they deserved. They could have easily ruined our hopes for not only the rest of the CCHA Tournament, but the NCAA Tournament as well. But they didn't and all the credit goes to our Irish on that front.

Summerhayes has become a solid Goalie again (besides that ugly goal last night where he got caught out of his crease). Bryan Rust cannot be stopped and should easily be wearing an "A" next season if Jackson decides to bring those back. Anders, well has been Anders. No disappearing act like he had last season. TJ even though he hasn't been on the scorecard has been out making plays happen on the ice and just been pesky. Too bad he disappeared for that stretch because we could have ran away with this conference but that is in the past. Now we get to look forward to next weekend. One game that will hopefully lead to another game that will hopefully lead to the last CCHA Tournament banner hanging in the rafters of the Compton.

Lets go and do what needs to be done. Lets keep this train rolling, improve our PWR, get a decent seed in the NCAA and see how long we can ride this wave of solid hockey once again.

Comment

Ohio State it is at 1:00 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X