Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Irish hockey '12-'13: Why would you not wanna go there?

Holy crap. Where has this team been hiding since the Xmas break? If they play the rest of the season as they did this afternoon in Chicago, I will be one happy hockey fan. You know why they played so well (dominating most of the game) and won? The ice sucked and they had to...wait for it...keep it simple. Pucks to the net--including on the PP. Clearing pucks. Winning battles on the boards. Hustling. Backchecking. Forechecking. All the basics done by a talented team usually equals a win.

I owe the ND posters drinks. And I don't mind one bit.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      You know why they played so well (dominating most of the game) and won? The ice sucked and they had to...wait for it...keep it simple. Pucks to the net--including on the PP. Clearing pucks. Winning battles on the boards. Hustling. Backchecking. Forechecking. All the basics done by a talented team usually equals a win.
      This.

We have not been adjusting to conditions. Sometimes those conditions are bad ice. Really bad ice. Sometimes it's a bad ref. Sometimes it's an unexpected style of play from an opponent. But they adjusted their game to the conditions they had to play it in today and controlled most everything. We'll see how big this win is next week. I'm not ready to believe anything anymore with this team until I see it on the ice.

Comment

This season is slowing killing me. It's not as bad as last years collapse, but its filled with so many what ifs its not even funny. Like what if Alaska didn't sweep us. What if we didn't lose all but 2 games in a 10 game stretch. We could be easily hanging another banner in the Compton as no one has run away with this conference, but we had another post-Christmas slump. I would love to see the team from Soldiers Field show up for the last 4 remaining battles. I would love to see us make a run to take the last cup at the Joe. I would love to see us in the NCAA's. I would love not to be so down and out on this team
        TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

My mother used to say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." Well I wanna ride, dammit! SJ22 has said what we all feel. Now if the team would just listen...

But first...a pet peeve. The links on NDNation have us playing UWM. Is this a new D1 team? Last I checked, it's WMU.

Another pet peeve. Another link on NDNation has some reporter from HLS interviewing Anders Lee after the game Sunday. Her lead in referred to him as Andreas Lee. She talks about the upcoming last 3 weekends in the regular season. There are 2 weekends left in the CCHA.

A little research goes a long way towards credibility.

As for the University of Western Michigan, er, um... They have 2 guys who have at least 20 points (Dane Walters with 23 and Chase Balisy with 22). Their special teams are what I wish our special teams could be like. They've recorded 30 PPG's (nearly one/game) and given up only 19. They've also given up only 1 shortie all season.

ND has 4 guys with at least 20 points, led by Andreas with 30. While we've scored 24 PPG's, we've given up 23. And we've given up 3 shorties in half a season. What was I sayin' about horses and riding?

Frank Slubowski has "struggled" in net lately for the Broncos. He has 2 losses and a tie in his last 3 Saturday appearances. However, his last 3 Fridays shows 2 wins and a tie. His GA and save % are still stellar also.

Steven Summerhays looked like the goalie of the first half this past Sunday. Actually the entire team looked like they went back in time this past Sunday. His save % is virtually identical to Slubowski's while his GA is slightly above 2, so not at all like Slubowski's.

So it looks as if special teams will be the key this weekend. Can we kill penalties? Can we score a PPG or 3? Can we finally have a good showing in Lawson?

Apparently I am begging. And I've got 3 wishes. Now where's that horse?

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Battle for 2nd place this weekend! If one team sweeps, the other will be almost certainly resigned to 3rd place (maybe even 4th at season's end). Regardless, we're both cheering for the Lakers this weekend and the Buckeyes next weekend.

Are you guys missing anyone this weekend? I know Voran is sitting out Friday for his DQ, and Beers is suspended (correct me if I'm wrong).

We're finally back to full strength. Defenseman Garrett Haar (WSH) will be back in the lineup after missing the last 16 games.

WMU is 13-2-1 at home this season. Hopefully that dominance continues, but make it:
            Fri: 3-1 UWM
            Sat: 3-2 ND
            Last edited by broncos24; 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM.
            Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
            Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Voran is out and Beers hadn't played, so barring a couple of injuries, he wouldn't have seen the ice this weekend.

I don't know what to think going into tonight and tomorrow. I haven't got the first clue as to which Irish hockey team is going to show up. I just know what this team is capable of if they play to the limits of their potential. WMU scare me because we do not pay well up there. In the last three or four years we have maybe one complete game up there. We also have had a couple that looked like we were boys against men.

I'll believe all the talk (or not) once we see how this team plays this weekend. They still have a lot to prove.

Comment

All that effort for one point. While I'm pleased with the way the team battled and controlled the puck, this result rests solely on the shoulders of Steven Summerhays. WMU's 2nd and 3rd goals were scored off rebounds that I believe I may have been able to control better. What happened to his "athleticism?"

And I gotta call out T.J. Tynan and Robbie Russo. Actually if anyone has seen them around campus please ask them to report to the CFIA because their team needs them. They have been virtually invisible for too much of 2013. Both Tynan and Russo had 15 points in the first half of the season. While Tynan has 9 points since Jan. 1, he has been kept off the score sheet for the last 4 games. And Russo has just 3 measly points this half.

If Tynan doesn't come out on fire and pot a few tomorrow and if Summerhays doesn't control those rebounds, ND stands no chance of pulling their fat out of the fire in order to save what started out as a promising season.

Comment

Okay. The total sum of the weekend's efforts combine for a split on the road against a great team. Same result as last weekend. I am happy with that as that is the desired outcome of a road series. Our ceiling is first our floor is third.

Steven Summerhays was much stronger in net tonight, hence the SO win, but T.J. Tynan still baffles. He has picked a bad time to dry up.

On the plus side, I have been increasingly impressed with Eric Johnson on the blue line. It was his effort that led directly to the goal tonight. Where others on the back end are faltering, he has remained quite solid and has a few points to show for his play lately.

Now we have to root for MSU tonight in the Great White North to seriously assist our PWR. Then we have to sweep at home next weekend (a frighteningly difficult task of late) to get us off the bubble.

Comment

That was the hardest I have worked in a while and I was just sitting in the stands. A great series. I hope the rumors are true and these two teams will be getting together every season.
                    B2
                    It will only get better!

Comment

I know Coach Jackson was holding one of his Q&A's for season ticket holders tonight. Anyone go and if so anything interesting particularly concerning whether coach thinks ND has turned a corner this year?

Comment

Originally posted by ND1 View Post
                        I know Coach Jackson was holding one of his Q&A's for season ticket holders tonight. Anyone go and if so anything interesting particularly concerning whether coach thinks ND has turned a corner this year?
                        I don't know that they have, but can't imagine him saying anything other than we've turned the corner. I'm getting closer to feeling that this year may not be last year, but I'm not quite there yet. At the least the ship has been righted to a great extent. But we still have potential to realize.

I like how they competed against WMU. They fought back each time they were down Friday, and played a tight game defensively Saturday. To do it in a place they have, on numerous times, crapped the bed was a good sign too. Summerhays looked shaky Friday and followed up with a great effort Saturday. That's likely the final piece of the puzzle. He has to be consistent and playing some of his best hockey the rest of the way.

Looking at a lot of things makes me wonder if we have overrated some aspects of this team. Maybe the talent level, while still formidable, is not as high as we'd like to think. It's also possible that Jackson, who I admit to thinking was as good as York or anyone else 3 or 4 years ago, also may not be quite that good. While in the end I probably wouldn't trade the talent and the coaching straight up for anyone elses, is it possible that intangibles and leadership got this team to the levels we've seen them reach in earlier seasons? The proof is in the pudding, as they say. I guess I'd like to throw a T.J. Jindra, Mark Van Guilder or Erik Condra in the mix somewhere to see if that stirs the pot in the right way. At some point I'd like to see the personnel we have on the deck now grow tired of us comparing the failures of the some of the recent seasons to their accomplishments and prove many of us wrong with a run to another title game, only this time going those boys of 2008 one better.

Before any of that happens, we need to take care of business Friday against Bowling Green. And then do it again Saturday. That alone is a tall enough order. BG scares me. They play a brand of hockey that has been known to give Jackson's teams fits. He's preaching a simplified game and that is what it will take this weekend. The better we are able to control tempo and get pucks deep, the better our depth and size will become a deciding factor. Which means the defense HAS to make the right plays. I want to see Johns play his best games of the season this weekend. Which doesn't mean he has to be spectacular. It means he has to make smart plays with the puck. Play his position well. Support his partner, move the puck forward and be physical when the play dictates it. He can set a tone for success. Then the other five D-men can then complement that tone. The best Jeff Jackson teams always started their success on the back end and moved it forward. If this one does that too, we may have the kind of finish we envisioned before we opened our presents 2 months ago.

To quote the oft overused NIKE slogan, just do it. There's still time to make a few of us eat our words...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                          Before any of that happens, we need to take care of business Friday against Bowling Green. And then do it again Saturday. That alone is a tall enough order. BG scares me. They play a brand of hockey that has been known to give Jackson's teams fits.
                          If my Falcons play like they did Friday, ND has nothing to worry about. We had a chance to put some distance between us and 10th place and get a good handle on home ice in the first round, and we blew it. Saturday was much better, other than the checking from behind major 12 seconds in. Now, we probably need a sweep for home ice. We also need Hammond in goal; he's still day-to-day. Better to have him 100% in the playoffs than 90% this weekend and lose him to re-injury. Burke is decent enough, but Hammond has four years of experience.
                          Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
                            If my Falcons play like they did Friday, ND has nothing to worry about. We had a chance to put some distance between us and 10th place and get a good handle on home ice in the first round, and we blew it. Saturday was much better, other than the checking from behind major 12 seconds in. Now, we probably need a sweep for home ice. We also need Hammond in goal; he's still day-to-day. Better to have him 100% in the playoffs than 90% this weekend and lose him to re-injury. Burke is decent enough, but Hammond has four years of experience.
                            All BG needs is a split and they have home ice. If they get 1 victory that gives them 37 points which eliminates Northern from catching them. It also eliminates Michigan from catching them because even if Michigan sweeps ferris and ends up with 37 points as well Bg wins the 2nd Tie breaker because of better goal difference in the head to head series with michigan.

Comment

So it all comes down to this. Anything less than 4 points this weekend will KILL our PWR. And even though there's the 2nd round of the playoffs to help, who wants to rely on that? Besides, while I don't think first place in the regular season is gonna happen for us, I'd like ND to make it interesting.

I don't know if Andrew Hammond will be back in net or if Tommy Burke will continue to help out. Both have had some success and while Hammond has a better save % (.917), Burke has the better GA (2.42). BG is averaging 2.35 goals/game, but they give up 2.56. Their special teams are a huge Achilles heel. While they have only 18 PPG's, they have negated 7 of them by allowing shorties. They've also given up a whopping 30 PPG's against and have scored only one short-handed goal. That's even worse than ND's numbers.

Steven Summerhays is starting to look sharp in net again with a GA back under 2, but a save % that is only slightly better than Hammond's. Hence the -ing on the verb. He's not back at completely sharp yet, but he's in the ballpark. ND is only averaging 2.91 goals/game, but gives up only 2.26. ND has 24 PPG's with 3 of those being erased by shorties. While we have scored 5 short-handed goals, we've given up a mini-whopping 24 PPG's against.

Defenseman Robert Shea is the player to keep an eye on for BG. He's 4th in points for BG with 19, but he has figured into 5 of their game-winners. When he registers a point, BG's winning % is .714.

Believe it or not, T.J. Tynan is one of ND's 2 players to watch. He has had a hand in 7 of the game-winning goals this season. Jeff Costello is the other to pay attention to. He's also 4th in scoring with 23 points and when he gets on the score sheet, ND's winning % is an eye-popping .846.

Another interesting stat is BG's ability to win games in which they do NOT score the first goal (an anomaly in hockey these days). They have a record of 7-11-3 (a winning % slightly better than 40%) when giving up the first goal, so no lead is safe against them. ND on the other hand wins only about 27% of the time when they give up the first goal.

Season ticket holders get appreciated this weekend. And don't forget to show up early Saturday for senior night.

I like IHF's oft-used Nike slogan: Just do it.
                              Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I hope and believe that we are going to see a great college hockey series this weekend. All the ingredients are there: both teams have plenty to play for, as BG tries to hang on for home ice in the playoffs, and ND tries to stay inside the PWR bubble. Final regular season CCHA series for both teams, senior night, a great facility that will be jammed to the rafters...the only way this could get better would be if they sold beer in college hockey rinks.

BG knows they CAN win, but we've GOT to stay out of the box. The more of this game that's played 5x5, the more it plays to BG's strength. We're dead last in the CCHA on both PP and PK, altho both numbers have been improving after a dismal start. Still no official word on who will be in goal for the Falcons. Hammond's injury was, obviously, more serious than we'd been led to believe. Burke has shown moments of brilliance, but he seems prone to allowing some softies, and (for whatever reason) the team seems to play with more intensity with Hammy in the net.
                                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Working...
                                X