Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    No idea on the last non-con series. Considering our other four non-con games are all tough contests, I kind of hope we bring a patsy up north to round out the schedule...
    Yea, that's one of the downsides of having UAA in the same conference.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      Any word on our schedule? We have 28 conference games, and so far have some tough non-conference match ups with Quinnipiac, Air Force, Denver, and Western Michigan (in the Kendal and Brice Tourneys). Any idea who the last non-conference game is with? It looks like we have open weekends on Nov 15-16, Feb 7-8, and Feb 21-22.

We must be having problems filling one of those February weekends. Or maybe our athletic department is just being fashionably late with the schedule.
      This just in, we'll be playing a 2 game series at home versus Mercyhurst.

EDIT: This series will be played at Patty Ice Arena due to a scheduling conflict.
      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
        EDIT: This series will be played at Patty Ice Arena due to a scheduling conflict.
        This is a bad idea. Whatever event at the Carlon Centr there is, it should get moved in my opinion, for a Nooks home gave before its played at the Patty Ice Arena.
        Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
          This just in, we'll be playing a 2 game series at home versus Mercyhurst.

I just hope your whole post is an evil attempt to yank our chains....

Comment

I'm not sure of the dates exactly, but I'm not kidding. The FNA Olympics are going on that weekend. I wished for a better fate as well, but not much that can be done about that.
            Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

FNA at Carlson is October 24-25-26...Ice Dogs must be at Dipper??

Comment

Seven recruits for 2013-14. The last two...two Fairbanks kids who played in the USHL. Forward Jared Linnell, whose dad played defense and mom volleyball at UAF and Justin Woods, a big defense man who will be a good one with time....Taylor Munson has one more year of junior eligibility left and will not be a Nanook this season...

Comment

The duo, who played in the United States Hockey League this season, are the sixth and seventh players to sign on with Alaska Hockey's Class of 2017. They join forwards Marcus Basara, Shawn Hochhausen and Brandon Morley of the British Columbia Hockey League, Joey Davies of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League and Josh Erickson of the USHL.

Comment

No joke on the Patty. This is thanks to the annual AFN convention being in town that weekend. The Carlson is the only facility big enough to handle AFN. I heard talk about this at the athletics banquet last week.

As for using the Dipper, my guess is it would be a lot cheaper to use the Patty since it is owned by the university.

Don't worry, when we have our new on-campus ice arena in 75 years it won't be an issue anymore.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Anybody know what the deal is with Mercyhurst? What will that make, something like four trips up to AK in the last six seasons? That's as many as some of our conference mates! I'm not really complaining, it's just surprising. Kinda makes you wonder if there's some connection behind the scenes, or if maybe their coaching staff just REALLY likes making the trip up.

Comment

Wow. The Patty Center is listed online as having a capacity of 1,3OO. Average attendance at the Carlson Center games is about 2,8OO. So half of the Nanooks fans will just be out of luck when Mercyhurst comes to town? (Or more than that, given that the Patty Center location could attract a higher-than-usual number of students.} How many of those 1,3OO seats will be left once season ticket holders are accommodated?

Not a good way to grow your fan base. I'm disappointed.

Comment

I'd rather see them play these games outside than in the Patty Ice Arena!
                          Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

They should turn the Friday night game into a marketing opportunity for students and discourage season ticket holders and us old farts from attending (the seats are too hard for me anyway).

Organize pre-game and post-game activities and advertise a large door prize/giveaway for those students attending. Award other prizes to the dorms or student groups that come up with the cleverest/funniest chant. See how many rowdy students they can pack into that place, and more importantly, see how many continuing student fans they can attract.

After all, we’ll be coming off a four game win streak over Quinnipiac, Air Force, Denver, and Western Michigan, so everyone will be in a good mood to start with.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• I think you nailed it. Push that series to the students and make it as loud and rowdy as possible. Sure it isn't ideal, but make the most of it.

They should turn the Friday night game into a marketing opportunity for students and discourage season ticket holders and us old farts from attending (the seats are too hard for me anyway).

Organize pre-game and post-game activities and advertise a large door prize/giveaway for those students attending. Award other prizes to the dorms or student groups that come up with the cleverest/funniest chant. See how many rowdy students they can pack into that place, and more importantly, see how many continuing student fans they can attract.

After all, we’ll be coming off a four game win streak over Quinnipiac, Air Force, Denver, and Western Michigan, so everyone will be in a good mood to start with.

Go Nooks!
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Go Nooks!
                                Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                                I'd rather see them play these games outside than in the Patty Ice Arena!
                                You Guy's are the brain trust of UA_ ……wow what a combination outside game with prizes just convince the “mall Rats to not take anything from the “free stage at the refuse Transfer sites for a week .Empty all the dumpsters put up the dashers and flood the dump parking lot. Turn the dumpsters into “mini sky boxes” ..Put six 55gal drums into each one for seating, have the students decorate them up and the winners get to pick out “prizes from the crap somebody dropped off from the last 2 weeks.
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X