Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
    I read UAA doesn’t do any summer camps or anything like that. That is odd to me. Camps are a great opportunity to see some good, young, raw, local talent.

They use to have one until about 2007, and they cut it due to the fact that the Aces had one going and were getting all the kids to go. Maybe that changes with a new coach idk.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

For our purposes, it sounds like the same deal we'd offer people on travel during the regular season. Of course, it'll be a year or two before we're hosting playoff games.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

If I'm breaking a blog rule I apologize. This was posted by "davyd83" on the thread "UAA Seawolves Offseason Thread - Time For Change"

"What Commissioner Bruce McLeod says is that the Alaskas and Huntsville pay the amount above the other schools most expensive trip. So if a trip to Bowling Green costs a school $10,000 and the trip to Fairbanks costs $30,000, then UAF will pay that school $20,000. Please note, I am just using these numbers for examples and they are not actual figures or estimates."

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
          If I'm breaking a blog rule I apologize. This was posted by "davyd83" on the thread "UAA Seawolves Offseason Thread - Time For Change"

"What Commissioner Bruce McLeod says is that the Alaskas and Huntsville pay the amount above the other schools most expensive trip. So if a trip to Bowling Green costs a school $10,000 and the trip to Fairbanks costs $30,000, then UAF will pay that school $20,000. Please note, I am just using these numbers for examples and they are not actual figures or estimates."
          I remember seeing that as well. I know it wasn't from the post you referrenced, but I cannot remember where I saw it.
          All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
            They use to have one until about 2007, and they cut it due to the fact that the Aces had one going and were getting all the kids to go. Maybe that changes with a new coach idk.
            Thanks for the info. I thought they had summer camps at one point, but couldn't remember.
            All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

• Agreed about the chemistry factor but you definitely have to chase talent when it presents itself. Look at Taranto...I don't recall the exact article but someone once asked the "why Alaska?" question when he was recruited by several big name programs (North Dakota springs to mind) and he came here because the coaches said he would play, and not be buried on a third or fourth line. I think that can be a big selling point, especially for a kid like Bauer when the time comes.

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
              Lane Bauer is the recruit from Anchorage....I hope we can hang on to him. His midget numbers are crazy. One thing to remember is just because a kid is from Alaska; he may not be a great fit for the team. There is a chance that we haven't even gone after some of these up and coming in state players. Also, let’s face it, some kids also want to get out of Alaska and see new things. We couldn't land those kids no matter how hard we tried. Our recruiting will be fine. We have some good kids coming in the next few years. Like I said, I agree with you. We never could compete with the huge schools, and our staff has done well finding hidden gems. I think if we continue to be a good team, and maybe even a top tier team in the new league, the recruiting will follow. I read UAA doesn’t do any summer camps or anything like that. That is odd to me. Camps are a great opportunity to see some good, young, raw, local talent.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Here's an article on Bauer: http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=7750507
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post

I believe that davyd83 has the right data.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Fergys' done a pretty fair job of attracting net minders. You Nooks found that new one for 13/14 yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      Fergys' done a pretty fair job of attracting net minders. You Nooks found that new one for 13/14 yet?
                      Keeney started most of the games as a freshman this season. I don't think we are in the market just yet.

Comment

The News-Miner reports that we will have two recruits from West Kelowna (BCHL) starting in the fall.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_...a4bcf6878.html

Comment

Folks can complain all they want about how college hockey has evolved into a no-check game, but it’s pretty obvious that speed is where it’s at. Case in point was the championship game, which IMHO was just excellent fast pace hockey by both teams.

Ferguson has had us on the right path for a while. We can skate with just about anybody (I guess we’ll test that theory out in October vs Quinnipiac). A little more consistency and a little better goaltending and I would like to think that our season would have looked a lot different. Hope our new recruits, including Basara and Hochhausen continue the trend of fast, skilled, feisty players.

Speed kills. Speed with skills kills quicker. Speed with size and skills even more so. Skating fast is one thing, but reacting or thinking fast is just as important. It’s a transition game. But you can’t dilly-dally and think about it. You need to transition, get up on step without pause, and create chances on teams that don’t react quick enough. And then you need to hurry back and defend against the odd man rush you just gave up. Oh well, you live and die by the sword, but it’s fun to watch.

Already anxious. Will summer ever end?
                          Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

Will summer ever end?
                            Go Nooks!
                            Speak for yourself...down here in urbanized Alaska it still feels a lot like winter, what with a howling north wind and UAA hockey being in the news.

In a way I am looking forward to the uncertainty of the nWCHA and seeing how we will stack up. In the CCHA under Ferguson, it was almost a given (with the exception of one year) that we would finish somewhere in the middle of the standings. Hopefully our younger guys will step up and have a short learning curve...Keeney with a year under his belt helps as well.

Comment

Any word on our schedule? We have 28 conference games, and so far have some tough non-conference match ups with Quinnipiac, Air Force, Denver, and Western Michigan (in the Kendal and Brice Tourneys). Any idea who the last non-conference game is with? It looks like we have open weekends on Nov 15-16, Feb 7-8, and Feb 21-22.

We must be having problems filling one of those February weekends. Or maybe our athletic department is just being fashionably late with the schedule.

Comment

• No idea on the last non-con series. Considering our other four non-con games are all tough contests, I kind of hope we bring a patsy up north to round out the schedule. My guess is we will be on the road, though. Whatever it is, it must be the last missing piece now that the WCHA schedule is out.

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                Any word on our schedule? We have 28 conference games, and so far have some tough non-conference match ups with Quinnipiac, Air Force, Denver, and Western Michigan (in the Kendal and Brice Tourneys). Any idea who the last non-conference game is with? It looks like we have open weekends on Nov 15-16, Feb 7-8, and Feb 21-22.

We must be having problems filling one of those February weekends. Or maybe our athletic department is just being fashionably late with the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X