Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Tyler Morley was named to the all-CCHA rookie team. Colton Parayko and John Keeney were honorable mentions.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Thanks seawolfpunk. It wouldn't surprise me if, when UAA scores a goal, Cobb yells "touchdown!"
      Too funny.

I just read the recap at the News Miner. What's up with the attendance? Friday had 1963, Saturday had 1937 and Sunday had 1806. That's shocking to me, based on the kind of support UA_ brings to the Sully for the Gov Cup.

DD and I often had disagreements about how many fans would come to the Sully if UAA ever managed to get home ice. I said it wouldn't change much, he felt it would be sold out. Based on what happened at UA_, I think I am right. Either way, that's just sad. Our student athletes deserve more!
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Playoffs never sell as well for us, I think because playoff tickets aren't included in season ticket packages. This year was especially low, though. Usually we draw in the 2500-3000 range for the playoffs.

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Too funny.

I just read the recap at the News Miner. What's up with the attendance? Friday had 1963, Saturday had 1937 and Sunday had 1806. That's shocking to me, based on the kind of support UA_ brings to the Sully for the Gov Cup.

DD and I often had disagreements about how many fans would come to the Sully if UAA ever managed to get home ice. I said it wouldn't change much, he felt it would be sold out. Based on what happened at UA_, I think I am right. Either way, that's just sad. Our student athletes deserve more!
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Playoffs never sell as well for us, I think because playoff tickets aren't included in season ticket packages. This year was especially low, though. Usually we draw in the 2500-3000 range for the playoffs.
          Hmmm, the playoffs have always been in UAA's season ticket packages ... of course we always got our money back!!
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

To quote Steve Thompson today... "400,000 situations and 43 of them get us in the national tournament. So you're saying there's a chance..."

Comment

• Best scenario for top 16 PWR finish

Got AK to 16 alone
              -----------------------------
              Atlantic Hockey

Semifinal #2: Connecticut defeats Mercyhurst
              Semifinal #1: Niagara defeats Canisius
              Championship game: Niagara defeats Connecticut

CCHA

Semifinal #2: Notre Dame defeats Ohio State
              Semifinal #1: Miami defeats Michigan
              Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Miami

ECAC

Semifinal #2: Union defeats Yale
              Semifinal #1: Quinnipiac defeats Brown
              Championship game: Union defeats Quinnipiac
              Consolation game: Yale defeats Brown

Hockey East

Semifinal #2: Boston College defeats Boston University
              Semifinal #1: Providence defeats Massachusetts-Lowell
              Championship game: Boston College defeats Providence

WCHA

Play-in #2: North Dakota defeats Colorado College
              Play-in #1: Wisconsin defeats Minnesota State
              Semifinal #2: Minnesota defeats North Dakota
              Semifinal #1: St. Cloud State defeats Wisconsin
              Championship game: Minnesota defeats St. Cloud State

Comment

• That's a whole lot of things that need to go right.

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                Got AK to 16 alone
                -----------------------------
                Atlantic Hockey

Semifinal #1: Niagara defeats Canisius
                Championship game: Niagara defeats Connecticut

CCHA

Semifinal #1: Miami defeats Michigan
                Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Miami

ECAC

Hockey East

WCHA

Play-in #1: Wisconsin defeats Minnesota State
                Semifinal #2: Minnesota defeats North Dakota
                Semifinal #1: St. Cloud State defeats Wisconsin
                Championship game: Minnesota defeats St. Cloud State

Comment

so true!!!

Comment

Honestly, it's hard to be a Nanooks fan. Hopes up, hopes dashed. Hopes up, hopes dashed. I was surprised to see the guys practicing yesterday, since I thought our national tournament chances had already been torpedoed. Realistically, I can't imagine that everything will align perfectly to get us that 16th spot. But hopes up, I guess . . .

This year's team had the talent to qualify for the tournament, but not the consistency. It was a strong senior class, and I wish I knew more about who had the good eye for recruiting. Doc brought us all sorts of problems, but wasn't he the one who snagged Taranto? I assume Dallas was the only one of our current coaches who was involved in recruiting for the class of '13.

As for the current junior class, we started with three guys who have developed into fantastic players (Beck, Kunyk and Quinn} and one who only lasted a year (Slemp}. Lance West wasn't named an assistant coach until 2OO9, so I doubt he found them.

Most of our current sophomores and freshman were presumably recruited by coaches Ferguson/West/Brian Meisner. Now Meisner's gone, and we don't yet know whether replacement Corbin Schmidt is magical, ordinary or dismal at recruiting.

I think we'll face some recruiting challenges in the next few years, given that UAF has lost some hockey scholarships and will be playing in a less prestigious league. We really need our recruiters to A}find some "hidden jewel" type players, and B}convince them to come to Fairbanks.

Comment

• I'm not as worried about recruiting, personally. Our strategy all along has been to find diamonds in the rough and I don't see that changing. Schmidt, I think, will only help for two reasons:

1. He has a professional background of working with prospects in Minnesota.

2. He's an Anchorage boy, and our current staff has made a push to stay plugged in with the high school coaches in SC Alaska.

As for this season (assuming it's done, which it probably is), we finished about where I thought we would. We had veterans up front and a rookie in net, and I think we got about as much out of the season as was realistic. Winning record, swept the Brice and the Gov Cup, and hosted the playoffs is a pretty decent season. It wasn't that long ago that his type pf season would have had fans doing backflips. The playoff loss was a bummer but it happens. Bowling Green did the same thing last year as the 11 seed.

As for improvements, obviously you want the team to keep improving but I also hope the athletic department and administration start taking some steps to re-invigorate fan interest. I noticed a few changes as the year went along and Dr. Gray got settled in, but overall community interest really seemed to lag under Karr. As I've said before, if they pushed every game like they do when the opponent is UAA we wouldn't be facing an attendance deficit.

Anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe we will be playing Quinnipiac in a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                      Honestly, it's hard to be a Nanooks fan. Hopes up, hopes dashed. Hopes up, hopes dashed. I was surprised to see the guys practicing yesterday, since I thought our national tournament chances had already been torpedoed. Realistically, I can't imagine that everything will align perfectly to get us that 16th spot. But hopes up, I guess . . .

This year's team had the talent to qualify for the tournament, but not the consistency. It was a strong senior class, and I wish I knew more about who had the good eye for recruiting. Doc brought us all sorts of problems, but wasn't he the one who snagged Taranto? I assume Dallas was the only one of our current coaches who was involved in recruiting for the class of '13.

As for the current junior class, we started with three guys who have developed into fantastic players (Beck, Kunyk and Quinn} and one who only lasted a year (Slemp}. Lance West wasn't named an assistant coach until 2OO9, so I doubt he found them.

Most of our current sophomores and freshman were presumably recruited by coaches Ferguson/West/Brian Meisner. Now Meisner's gone, and we don't yet know whether replacement Corbin Schmidt is magical, ordinary or dismal at recruiting.

I think we'll face some recruiting challenges in the next few years, given that UAF has lost some hockey scholarships and will be playing in a less prestigious league. We really need our recruiters to A}find some "hidden jewel" type players, and B}convince them to come to Fairbanks.

Comment

There are actually a number of ways Alaska gets in. If my statistics class stuck in my memory as well as I want it to, the Nanooks have about a 10% chance of making it, considering all of the variables.

Here are two brackets for championship weekend that get the Nanooks in at 16th.

*****http://cl.ly/image/3m0v2I190a3U******
                        *****http://cl.ly/image/051t0m2L2w00******

Keys for any scenario

Connecticut def. Mercyhurst
                        Union wins ECAC title over Quinnipiac in Championship game
                        Notre Dame wins CCHA Championship
                        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Got AK to 16 alone in PWR./to NCAA tourney
                          >>> -----------------------------
                          >>> Atlantic Hockey
                          >>>
                          >>> - Semifinal #2: *Connecticut* defeats Mercyhurst
                          >>> - Semifinal #1: *Niagara* defeats Canisius
                          >>> - Championship game: *Niagara* defeats Connecticut
                          >>>
                          >>> CCHA
                          >>>
                          >>> - Semifinal #2: *Notre Dame* defeats Ohio State
                          >>> - Semifinal #1: *Miami* defeats Michigan
                          >>> - Championship game: *Notre Dame* defeats Miami
                          >>>
                          >>> ECAC
                          >>>
                          >>> - Semifinal #2: *Union* defeats Yale
                          >>> - Semifinal #1: *Quinnipiac* defeats Brown
                          >>> - Championship game: *Union* defeats Quinnipiac
                          >>> - Consolation game: *Yale* defeats Brown
                          >>>
                          >>> Hockey East
                          >>>
                          >>> - Semifinal #2: *Boston College* defeats Boston University
                          >>> - Semifinal #1: *Providence* defeats Massachusetts-Lowell
                          >>> - Championship game: *Boston College* defeats Providence
                          >>>
                          >>> WCHA
                          >>>
                          >>> - Play-in #2: *North Dakota* defeats Colorado College
                          >>> - Play-in #1: *Wisconsin* defeats Minnesota State
                          >>> - Semifinal #2: *Minnesota* defeats North Dakota
                          >>> - Semifinal #1: *St. Cloud State* defeats Wisconsin
                          >>> - Championship game: *Minnesota* defeats St. Cloud State
                          >>>
                          >>>
                          or
                          Another scenario getting AK to 16

Atlantic Hockey
                          Semifinal #1: Canisius defeats Niagara
                          Championship game: Canisius defeats Connecticut
                          CCHA
                          Semifinal #1: Michigan defeats Miami
                          Championship game: Notre Dame defeats Michigan
                          ECAC
                          Hockey East
                          WCHA
                          Play-in #1: Minnesota State defeats Wisconsin
                          Semifinal #2: North Dakota defeats Minnesota
                          Semifinal #1: St. Cloud State defeats Minnesota State
                          Championship game: North Dakota defeats St. Cloud State

Comment

Colorado College beat NoDak, so we are officially done for the season.

Alas, if we hadn't mailed in the game against Canisius we would be in the tourney regardless. Frustrating, but is what it is. Bottom line is we lost a few games we should have won.

Comment

Props to Adam Henderson and Kaare Odegard for winning the CCHA Scholar-Athlete and Humanitarian Awards, respectively.

Comment

Talk about being treated like red headed step children

Although the conference tournament will retain the Final Five name, its format will change. Only the top 8 schools will play in the first round with the 4 best-of-three winners advancing to the Final Five. The “Alaska Plan,” in which the two Alaska schools were to play each other regardless of where they finished, is no longer an option. Rather, those two and Alabama-Huntsville will pay for first-round travel costs home or away

Comment

Working...
                                X