Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I was hoping we would get another crack at UAA at the GNAC tourney but it won't happen unless we both make it to the championship game. I don't see us beating Western Washington twice in the span of a few weeks.
    I keep forgetting that we have that conference tourney, but like you I don't see uaf getting past western much less UAA getting past Seattle pacific.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      There's a good chance we will get then again two weeks later in the playoffs. I wonder if Anastos will pitch as big of a hissy fit as Comley did a couple years ago.
      Prolly not. Anastos didn't even pitch a hissy when Madam Henderson celebrated his ENG in ... style? although I must say it sure lays the foundation for some inspired play from the Spartans. OK yes they'll need it.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        Prolly not. Anastos didn't even pitch a hissy when Madam Henderson celebrated his ENG in ... style? although I must say it sure lays the foundation for some inspired play from the Spartans. OK yes they'll need it.
        It was a competitive series two weeks ago. I'm sure it'll be the same way this series. Supposedly McInchak is officiating this series again, which should be interesting to see how physical it gets. A few hits from both teams could have been leveraged as majors, especially the gong show featuring Jake Chelios at the end of the second game.
        Hope State enjoys that travel and gets a small taste of what the Nanooks do all season without a complaint. It's a lot of fun!
        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

The WCHA has released the conference schedule for next season. UAA, Ferris State, Michigan Tech, UAH, Bemidji State, Minnesota, and Northern Michigan are coming to the Carlson Center.

Tech and MSU will each do the two week roadie to Alaska. We have our customary two week roadie in January to Bowling Green and NMU.

Edit: Huntsville is also making two trips to Alaska.
          Last edited by Squarebanks; 03-07-2013, 05:41 PM.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

One other thing I'm curious about is who our 3rd non conference series will be against. I know UAA is going to Wisconsin in January for a series.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Big Game 3 tonight. I predict the Nanooks win handily like last night 4-1.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                Big Game 3 tonight. I predict the Nanooks win handily like last night 4-1.
                I hope you're right about the W but I don't think it will be as easy as last night; if anything I would envision it being more like game 1 but with a better outcome. Elimination games never are easy, as Sparty probably figured out yesterday, and series-deciding games can have an anything-goes atmosphere. I do think MSU has a goaltending advantage, which can play into their favor. Need to make up for it by outskating and outhustling them.

Comment

Taranto is a game time decision. Not a good sign.

Comment

Do we know if either Beck or Taranto will be in the lineup tonight?

Edit: opps...just missed your post.
                    Last edited by mmf; 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

The Nanook blog also notes that Hildebrand appears to be starting tonight. Interesting move by Anastos if true. Yanakeff has performed well against UAF, not just this season but in general.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        Do we know if either Beck or Taranto will be in the lineup tonight?

Edit: opps...just missed you post.
                        Haven't heard about Beck. Hopefully they both can play. Even if they're only 50% there physically every bit helps.

Comment

Well, that sucks. Bummer of an end to a quietly good season. 17 wins is still nothing to sneeze at. I have to give Sparty props, they came ready to play in Game 1 and that made all the difference.

Best of luck to our 7 seniors. This is the best graduating class in terms of talent that I can remember for at least several years, and I think they will be sorely missed next season. It can be easy to forget that these guys took us to the NCAA tournament, earned home playoff berths three out of four years, mostly dominated UAA with a 6-2 record and four Gov Cups, and got the program to where a 17 win season seemed just ok. Several of those guys should be landing pro deals shortly and it will be exciting to see where they end up.

We have some work to do in the offseason but we should be excited to start in the WCHA in the fall. Hopefully the administration comes up with a plan to create some excitement for the move; our attendance slipped a bit this year (our playoff turnout was beyond pathetic, it was downright embarrassing) and sticking heads in the sand isn't going to solve anything. If the athletic department promoted every home game like they do the Gov Cup we would have a lot of buzz going around.

Go 'Nooks. Win the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Well, that sucks. Bummer of an end to a quietly good season. 17 wins is still nothing to sneeze at. I have to give Sparty props, they came ready to play in Game 1 and that made all the difference.

Best of luck to our 7 seniors. This is the best graduating class in terms of talent that I can remember for at least several years, and I think they will be sorely missed next season. It can be easy to forget that these guys took us to the NCAA tournament, earned home playoff berths three out of four years, mostly dominated UAA with a 6-2 record and four Gov Cups, and got the program to where a 17 win season seemed just ok. Several of those guys should be landing pro deals shortly and it will be exciting to see where they end up.

We have some work to do in the offseason but we should be excited to start in the WCHA in the fall. Hopefully the administration comes up with a plan to create some excitement for the move; our attendance slipped a bit this year (our playoff turnout was beyond pathetic, it was downright embarrassing) and sticking heads in the sand isn't going to solve anything. If the athletic department promoted every home game like they do the Gov Cup we would have a lot of buzz going around.

Go 'Nooks. Win the offseason.
                            Congratulations on a great season. I personally won't miss taranto since he was a thorn in our side all four years. I hope shyiak is canned and cobb seriously takes the road that uaf did in hiring an alum as coach (Regg Simon or Jack Kowal), then we can have a competive Gov Cup once again.

Enjoy the offseason Squarebanks.
                            Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

• Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
                              Congratulations on a great season. I personally won't miss taranto since he was a thorn in our side all four years. I hope shyiak is canned and cobb seriously takes the road that uaf did in hiring an alum as coach (Regg Simon or Jack Kowal), then we can have a competive Gov Cup once again.

Enjoy the offseason Squarebanks.
                              Thanks seawolfpunk. It wouldn't surprise me if, when UAA scores a goal, Cobb yells "touchdown!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Lakers2Glory
                                The Lakers got 17 wins this season too and we got people in the Lake State Thread calling for everything from the coach's head to going to DIII to closing the program down! Are you kidding me? Maybe I should have went to Fairbanks as a student...
                                A good chunk of our fan base remembers the 90's and early 00's when we were the ccha's red headed stepchild and whipping boy. I am pretty sure Sparty beat us 11-1 once in a playoff game. I think that has tempered the expectations of our base. We had a solid season, but definitely flamed out early this weekend.

The Minny rag did a big article on Don Lucia a few months ago that went in depth on how Lucia started the UAF program as we currently know it back in the 80's. It's well worth a read and for anybody connected to UAF makes you realize just how far our hockey program has come in the last 20 years. His comments about "the Tripod" are hilarious, and telling.

That said...you Lake Staters have a few fans bordering on the goofy side.
                                Last edited by Squarebanks; 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X