Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Western Michigan and Denver are coming north for the 2013 Goal Rush. I wonder what happened with Penn State?
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I heard Penn State was the following year, but who knows. Maybe everybody is just guessing.

It's funny reading the WMU fan forum. They're talking about how it should never be necessary to go to Fairbanks again after this year. I guess no one told them they are in next year's Brice Goal Rush. Oh snap!

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        I heard Penn State was the following year, but who knows. Maybe everybody is just guessing.

It's funny reading the WMU fan forum. They're talking about how it should never be necessary to go to Fairbanks again after this year. I guess no one told them they are in next year's Brice Goal Rush. Oh snap!

Go Nooks!
        If it wasn't for the fact that a good friend of mine went there, I'd like them a lot less than I do. They're the one team I wouldn't mind succeeding in the Nacho.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Wow. What a display of the kind of hockey that the Nooks want to play. Erik Drygas said that our offense is coming primarily from personal changes. While this was an impressive performance, I hope that it is tempered in the locker room. I don't know, it's 2 am and I just watched a game where I worried about giving the Broncos chances because they are so highly ranked and saw the Alaska team just dominate the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Displaced Alaskan View Post
            Wow. What a display of the kind of hockey that the Nooks want to play. Erik Drygas said that our offense is coming primarily from personal changes. While this was an impressive performance, I hope that it is tempered in the locker room. I don't know, it's 2 am and I just watched a game where I worried about giving the Broncos chances because they are so highly ranked and saw the Alaska team just dominate the game.
            We'll see how tomorrow goes. We do have a nasty habit of big Friday games followed by Saturday clunkers when we are at home.

Fantastic W tonight against a very solid opponent, though. I continue to feel better and better about this team.

Comment

In what was pretty much a dominating performance, the Alaska Nanooks thumped the visiting Western Michigan Broncos 6-1 last night at the Carlson. The Nooks started off the game tentative, and WMU put about four shots on Keeney in the first two minutes. But it was soon apparent that the Broncos didn’t have the legs to keep up, and the Nooks quickly gained confidence and control, and never looked back. WMU only had seven shots on goal through two periods, which included four Bronco powerplays.

I expect a totally different Bronco team to show up tonight. They can’t be that bad. And if the Nooks don’t bring it again, and if the Broncos should steal a game, then last night’s dominating performance is all for naught. WMU would be ecstatic with a split. Last night wasn’t a fluke. WMU was out-matched. The Nooks just need to prove that again tonight.

Last night was military appreciation night, so the Nooks were sporting their camo sweaters. It must have worked, because the Broncos didn’t see us coming…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-GnMXT7x/0/L/20121116-5-L.jpg******

Keeney saw a little action early on, but then the Nooks took control of the game…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-c7s3Qx3/0/L/20121116-15-L.jpg******

Nolan Huysman got his first of two goals on the night about 12 minutes into the first when he buried this shot past Slubowski…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-HnjDtSk/0/L/20121116-41-L.jpg******

The Nooks were able to put a lot of pressure on Slubowski all night…sometimes in a crowd…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-ZXtsdq2/0/L/20121116-65-L.jpg******

And sometimes all alone. In addition to the wide margin of shots on goal, the Nooks had numerous grade A opportunities that passed through the crease…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-J4jbMFw/0/L/20121116-83-L.jpg******

The Nooks were also able to out-work the Broncos along the boards, and pretty much had them back on their heels all night…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-7vjsMJf/0/L/20121116-87-L.jpg******

Taranto was his usual PITA for the visiting team, always in the action, and always drawing attention…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-tvBnD4j/0/L/20121116-95-L.jpg******

His persistent hard work paid off with this back hander in the crease and off the crossbar at about 10 minutes into the second. Look close and you can see the puck up in the netting. It was Taranto’s 98th career point and put the Nooks up 2 – 1…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-LjDnp4X/0/L/20121116-105-L.jpg******

Chad Gehon made it 4-1 only 23 seconds into the third with this shot, and Huysman notched his 2nd of the night just 13 seconds later to make it 5 – 1…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-GMzvBtP/0/L/20121116-138-L.jpg******

Keeney saw some action in the third as the Nooks seemed to take their foot off the gas, but real quality shots were limited…
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-Qvn2b3v/0/L/20121116-154-L.jpg******

Jarret Granberg ended last night’s scoring onslaught about 11 minutes into the 3rd, by putting this one past Hafner, and bringing the final score to 6 – 1.
              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-Jp6hwX9/0/L/20121116-170-L.jpg******

Tonight should be a much closer game. But if the Nooks put it all together again, it should be another tough night for the Broncos.

Go Nooks!
              Last edited by mmf; 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I read the mlive.com recap of last night's game and Andy Murray had some very pointed remarks about his team. I think they'll show up tonight.

Comment

Tough way to lose a game on Saturday. That was our game and we snagged defeat from the jaws of victory. I missed the third period but have heard from several unrelated sources that the penalty on Henderson, which led to the GWG for Western, was questionable. The Broncos should feel fortunate they walked away with three points. But that's hockey, and therefore life.

On to the black hole of Marquette and a struggling Wildcat team. Take no prisoners and put an end to that ridiculous winless streak against NMU. I hope their athletic department is being mindful of clerical errors.

Comment

Dallas is 0-7-6 vs NMU as head coach... The only CCHA team that he hasn't defeated at least once.

Parayko travelled and is expected to play vs NMU. Perry's injury could keep him out for some time... No status on Yaremchuk at the moment.

I'm more curious to see Forrest Karr's reaction to losing to his former school...
                    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

• The NMU jinx is baffling, but if there was ever a time for us to get a win(s) over the Wildcats, it's this weekend. We shall see. Glad Parayko is making the trip; he has quickly become an important cog

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                      Dallas is 0-7-6 vs NMU as head coach... The only CCHA team that he hasn't defeated at least once.

Parayko travelled and is expected to play vs NMU. Perry's injury could keep him out for some time... No status on Yaremchuk at the moment.

I'm more curious to see Forrest Karr's reaction to losing to his former school...

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                        so the Nooks were sporting their camo sweaters. It must have worked, because the Broncos didn’t see us coming…
                        *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2012-13-Season/WMU-vs-UAF-Nov-16-2012/i-GnMXT7x/0/L/20121116-5-L.jpg******
                        Just wanted to say that of the camo uniforms I've seen, those are most cool.

I think the 'nooks should consider those as an alternative jersey.

Good luck this weekend.
                        NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                          Just wanted to say that of the camo uniforms I've seen, those are most cool.

I think the 'nooks should consider those as an alternative jersey.

Good luck this weekend.
                          I liked the idea but I doubt they'll be brought back again except on military appreciation weekends.

I'd like to know why we aren't using the gold jerseys again this year for Saturday home games; I liked those.

Comment

Finally able to connect to America Online. Nooks up 2-1 at the end of the 2nd in Saturday night's game. Nooks have skated down a man for 13 mintutes (4 minors and 1 major). Henderson out for the night. SOGs are 21 - 20 Nooks. Imagine what we could do 5x5.

We tend to lack intensity when we have any lead. Let's go boys. Actually step it up a notch.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Aaand the Black Hole continues.

Comment

The one thing I'm not looking forward to about the WCHA is still playing Northern. They just have our number on some kind of weird level.

Miami is up next. We've had a pretty good showing against Nacho teams this year, but Miami always plays with a grudge when they have to travel to Alaska. Should be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X