Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Didn't get a chance to watch, but it sounds like we went from being Ron Burgundy to Wes Mantooth in the span of about three minutes in the 2nd. I doubt a re-building Ferris State team really has as much firepower as a team like North Dakota, even when UND is missing a third of their team.

Hell, if we'd even played 40 minutes instead of 20 we probably would have won.

I wonder if Thompson will get a chance for redemption tonight.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Didn't get a chance to watch, but it sounds like we went from being Ron Burgundy to Wes Mantooth in the span of about three minutes in the 2nd. I doubt a re-building Ferris State team really has as much firepower as a team like North Dakota, even when UND is missing a third of their team.

Hell, if we'd even played 40 minutes instead of 20 we probably would have won.

I wonder if Thompson will get a chance for redemption tonight.
      I can answer my own question two minutes later...Cahill is between the pipes tonight.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Nice bounce back W. It should have been 6 points instead of 3, but bottom line we did what we needed to do tonight.

Comment

Would have been nice to get 6 points, and IMHO the Nooks were a better skating club. But Ferris is a tough place to play both because of the rink and their typically hard-nosed work ethic. Usually a tough match-up, so 3 points on the first long road trip is not bad. We probably travel four or five more times this year so the freshmen need to settle into a routine or mindset that works for them, and learn to stay focused both on academics and the game plan. Doesn’t happen overnight. But real men don’t use travel as an excuse. Good job Nooks.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Would have been nice to get 6 points, and IMHO the Nooks were a better skating club. But Ferris is a tough place to play both because of the rink and their typically hard-nosed work ethic. Usually a tough match-up, so 3 points on the first long road trip is not bad. We probably travel four or five more times this year so the freshmen need to settle into a routine or mindset that works for them, and learn to stay focused both on academics and the game plan. Doesn’t happen overnight. But real men don’t use travel as an excuse. Good job Nooks.

Go Nooks!
            Five more road trips, not counting Anchorage;

@ Ohio State
            @ Northern Michigan
            @ Michigan/Notre Dame
            @ Miami
            @ Lake Superior State

NMU and LSSU are always hard just because getting to those two towns is an ordeal from Fairbanks. OSU and Miami are just flights with limited or no bus time.

Not that matters after this year, but we always seem to play at Michigan on the two-week holiday road trip.

Comment

I heard that Nik Yaremchuk fractured his tibia in Saturday's game. Hope that report is wrong, but I fear it's probably correct. Poor guy. Injuries are always awful, but they seem especially cruel when they wreck a guy's senior season.

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                I heard that Nik Yaremchuk fractured his tibia in Saturday's game. Hope that report is wrong, but I fear it's probably correct. Poor guy. Injuries are always awful, but they seem especially cruel when they wreck a guy's senior season.
                That's not good. He's been a mainstay point producer. If there's a silver lining, it happened early in the season. If he recovers well he could be back in January.

Comment

The team will miss Yaremchuk’s all-around solid play so everyone is going to have to step it up. It would be nice to get six points this weekend, but I’m sure the Lakers are thinking the same thing.

We have been a fairly fast team over the last couple of years but haven’t necessarily utilized it to our advantage. This year we seem to have figured out how to step up the pace of our game a little. We have been the better skating club in every game I’ve seen this year, including our match up with UND and last Friday’s loss to Ferris.

Our young D is getting better every week but still has a way to go. We sure let a lot of forwards take us wide and then cut back to the crease with puck control. Not sure if it is just inexperience with the speed of the college game, not enough upper body strength, or just not moving the feet. We seem to be a step behind and can’t quite take the guy off the puck. That creates lots of issues for our inexperienced goaltending. Nonetheless, should be a good series.

Go Nooks!

Comment

The team will miss Yaremchuk’s all-around solid play so everyone is going to have to step it up. It would be nice to get six points this weekend, but I’m sure the Lakers are thinking the same thing.

We have been a fairly fast team over the last couple of years but haven’t necessarily utilized it to our advantage. This year we seem to have figured out how to step up the pace of our game a little. We have been the better skating club in every game I’ve seen this year, including our match up with UND and last Friday’s loss to Ferris.

Our young D is getting better every week but still has a way to go. We sure let a lot of forwards take us wide and then cut back to the crease with puck control. Not sure if it is just inexperience with the speed of the college game, not enough upper body strength, or just not moving the feet. We seem to be a step behind and can’t quite take the guy off the puck. That creates lots of issues for our inexperienced goaltending. Nonetheless, should be a good series.

Go Nooks!

I've been impressed with the Freshman this year, and I hope Yaremchuk's absence can be mitigated. The Lakers are certainly going to be hoping for at least a split, but the Nooks are absolutely capable of grabbing 6 points.

It is strange seeing the nooks play loose on the D and let in some weak goals while having such an offensive presence. Very fun to watch, although more nerve-racking.

Comment

LSSU has also been hit with injuries. Not even making the trip to Alaska are Kevin Kapalka (#1 goalie) and two of their best forwards, Colin Campbell and Kellan Lain.

Comment

From Danny Martin's preview in today's News-Miner:

Fairbanks is located in Interior Alaska and Sault Ste. Marie is on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
                        Glad we got that cleared up.

Comment

The Nooks are a pretty good skating club but still have problems finishing. The first ten minutes of the game was all Nooks, then the Lakers settled down and somewhat changed the tempo of the game. It was one of those games that last year had a Nook loss written all over it. Skate pretty well, outshoot the opponents, but give up crucial goals on limited but quality scoring opportunities. The Lakers had some quality chances.

Murdock was outstanding. He kept the Lakers in a position to win. Could go either way again tonight.

Go Nooks!

Comment

The Nooks are a pretty good skating club but still have problems finishing. The first ten minutes of the game was all Nooks, then the Lakers settled down and somewhat changed the tempo of the game. It was one of those games that last year had a Nook loss written all over it. Skate pretty well, outshoot the opponents, but give up crucial goals on limited but quality scoring opportunities. The Lakers had some quality chances.

Murdock was outstanding. He kept the Lakers in a position to win. Could go either way again tonight.

Go Nooks!
                            No question we have some things to work on...way too many passes went offsides last night and we had several golden chances that should have been buried. LSSU's goal was the result of a bad bounce and Cahill getting caught on the wrong side of the net.

But, we have way more grit than last year. The 11-12 squad would have lost that game last night. I believe all four of our wins have been come-from-behind. And, it's hard to be too upset about winning two in a row with both GWG's coming with under 60 seconds in regulation.

Should be a battle tonight. LSSU won't want to make that flight home with no points.

Comment

Well...

Anytime you get in the neighborhood of 50 shots on goal and are shut out until late in the game, it's probably not your night. I also think Cahill would like #3 back.

Lakers won this game in the 2nd period. We got away from our game and seemed more focused on laying the wood to LSSU players, and when they got that second goal despite the physicality it was all over. Murdock was a beast for them...reminded me of a vintage Chad Johnson performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Well...

Anytime you get in the neighborhood of 50 shots on goal.......
                                I'm a NHL refugee reconnecting with my college team. It seemed there were a lot of shots on goal, but not a lot of quality chances. We're they shooting the puck so much to get rid of it and not holding it long enough to setup a scoring chance? Is the large number of shots more typical for the college game then other leagues?

Comment

Working...
                                X