Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    How are they able to start official practices one week before everyone else?
    I assume because we're super special.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
      I believe the Nooks get to start early because they lose so many practice days to travel throughout the season. I‘ve heard that total practice days need to be scheduled out and approved. But I recall this from years ago and it could all be BS. If the Seawolves are having full practices now you probably have a similar deal. We probably lose more days than you guys do. I guess those five or six trips outside of Alaska each season gives our Alaska teams a big advantage (unless of course you count grades, fatigue, and financial considerations).

Go Nooks!
      UAA started official practices yesterday, a week after UA_.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Pretty good Danny Martin article on the goalie competition:

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/202729...tarting-goalie
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
          ... Worse freshman class we have had in a long time, no production no impact on the ice.
          Considering that two of last year’s more highly regarded freshmen never suited up, you might have something there. But I would say that we under-performed across the board, probably more so than any other team in the CCHA.

On average we out-shot opponents (we all know how important that is ) in every period last year and ended up overall with a 1,070 to 935 advantage. But we got out-scored 94 to 84 overall. We consistently lost the 2nd period, even when we seemed to dominate the 1st, and lost a lot of close games and games late in the third. So it appears the coaches also underperformed last year.

We only lost 14% of our “goal scoring machine” to graduation. Our top 4 goals scorers, and the only four in double digits are back: Kunyk(15), Taranto(12), Beck(12), Grandberg(10). We lost about 30% of total point production to graduation, with Finucci and Gens accounting for most of that. We should be better offensively than we have been in a while. Defense will be young. Goaltending is an unknown.

I think we will be a tougher team then early season polls will show. But I say that almost every year. Law of averages are in my favor this year. Can’t wait for the puck to drop.

Go Nooks!

Comment

UAA started official practices yesterday, a week after UA_.
            Somehow that must be Cobbs fault!

Comment

Considering that two of last year’s more highly regarded freshmen never suited up, you might have something there. But I would say that we under-performed across the board, probably more so than any other team in the CCHA.

On average we out-shot opponents (we all know how important that is ) in every period last year and ended up overall with a 1,070 to 935 advantage. But we got out-scored 94 to 84 overall. We consistently lost the 2nd period, even when we seemed to dominate the 1st, and lost a lot of close games and games late in the third. So it appears the coaches also underperformed last year.

We only lost 14% of our “goal scoring machine” to graduation. Our top 4 goals scorers, and the only four in double digits are back: Kunyk(15), Taranto(12), Beck(12), Grandberg(10). We lost about 30% of total point production to graduation, with Finucci and Gens accounting for most of that. We should be better offensively than we have been in a while. Defense will be young. Goaltending is an unknown.

I think we will be a tougher team then early season polls will show. But I say that almost every year. Law of averages are in my favor this year. Can’t wait for the puck to drop.

Go Nooks!
              This feels like 2008-09, minus the coaching upheaval. Coming off an under-achieving year with a pretty talented roster, overlooked by pretty much everybody, etc. The pieces are in place for a good bounce-back year, but like I said earlier, we'll have a good idea how good we are (or aren't) after the Brice.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                This feels like 2008-09, minus the coaching upheaval. Coming off an under-achieving year with a pretty talented roster, overlooked by pretty much everybody, etc. The pieces are in place for a good bounce-back year, but like I said earlier, we'll have a good idea how good we are (or aren't) after the Brice.
                Probably not. UND is barely dressing enough players to field a team for your tourney.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Probably not. UND is barely dressing enough players to field a team for your tourney.
                  I still don't overlook them. Merrimack is no slouch, either. Should be some good games all the way around.

Our first CCHA series after the Brice is at Ferris State (something about being involved in a championship game). Even with a watered down North Dakota, we'll still be tested early on.
                  Last edited by Squarebanks; 09-27-2012, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Wow. I’m glad you guys have already penciled in your win against UND. I’m a little worried for the Nooks. I would expect that under the circumstances, the Sioux will be a bit motivated each night to not let their suspended teammates down or compound any embarrassment to the program. But maybe that’s just me…or maybe you just forgot a or two in your post.

Go Nooks!

Comment

The players that ND have suspended are only going to be out when they play the seapuppies. They will be at full strength when the Nooks play them the next night.
                      Alaska - My Very Big Back Yard!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schlacker Rat View Post
                        The players that ND have suspended are only going to be out when they play the seapuppies. They will be at full strength when the Nooks play them the next night.
                        Not quite correct. Captains were suspended for the UAA game. Four non-captains were suspended for the UAF game.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          Not quite correct. Captains were suspended for the UAA game. Four non-captains were suspended for the UAF game.
                          Actually one captain (Danny "frostbite" Kristo) is not making the trip it sounds like
                          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Wow. I’m glad you guys have already penciled in your win against UND. I’m a little worried for the Nooks. I would expect that under the circumstances, the Sioux will be a bit motivated each night to not let their suspended teammates down or compound any embarrassment to the program. But maybe that’s just me…or maybe you just forgot a or two in your post.

Go Nooks!
                            Nope, I'm not counting on any wins. I'm just saying it is going to be hard to judge both of our teams performance BECAUSE UND is not going to be at full strength. If UAA beats them I won't know if it's because they played good or because UND was depleted.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Blue and Gold Game is tomorrow at the Patty, along with the inaugural Nanook Fan Fest.

Hockey season is finally here.

Comment

Coach Ferguson talking a little bit about the Blue/Gold game and other assorted activities:

Comment

Working...
                                X