• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rms123
    replied
    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
    They use to have one until about 2007, and they cut it due to the fact that the Aces had one going and were getting all the kids to go. Maybe that changes with a new coach idk.
    Thanks for the info. I thought they had summer camps at one point, but couldn't remember.

Leave a comment:

• Rms123
    replied

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    If I'm breaking a blog rule I apologize. This was posted by "davyd83" on the thread "UAA Seawolves Offseason Thread - Time For Change"

"What Commissioner Bruce McLeod says is that the Alaskas and Huntsville pay the amount above the other schools most expensive trip. So if a trip to Bowling Green costs a school $10,000 and the trip to Fairbanks costs $30,000, then UAF will pay that school $20,000. Please note, I am just using these numbers for examples and they are not actual figures or estimates."
    I remember seeing that as well. I know it wasn't from the post you referrenced, but I cannot remember where I saw it.

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf Fan
    replied

If I'm breaking a blog rule I apologize. This was posted by "davyd83" on the thread "UAA Seawolves Offseason Thread - Time For Change"

"What Commissioner Bruce McLeod says is that the Alaskas and Huntsville pay the amount above the other schools most expensive trip. So if a trip to Bowling Green costs a school $10,000 and the trip to Fairbanks costs $30,000, then UAF will pay that school $20,000. Please note, I am just using these numbers for examples and they are not actual figures or estimates."

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

For our purposes, it sounds like the same deal we'd offer people on travel during the regular season. Of course, it'll be a year or two before we're hosting playoff games.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• seawolfpunk
    replied

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
    I read UAA doesn’t do any summer camps or anything like that. That is odd to me. Camps are a great opportunity to see some good, young, raw, local talent.

They use to have one until about 2007, and they cut it due to the fact that the Aces had one going and were getting all the kids to go. Maybe that changes with a new coach idk.

Leave a comment:

• Rms123
    replied

Lane Bauer is the recruit from Anchorage....I hope we can hang on to him. His midget numbers are crazy. One thing to remember is just because a kid is from Alaska; he may not be a great fit for the team. There is a chance that we haven't even gone after some of these up and coming in state players. Also, let’s face it, some kids also want to get out of Alaska and see new things. We couldn't land those kids no matter how hard we tried. Our recruiting will be fine. We have some good kids coming in the next few years. Like I said, I agree with you. We never could compete with the huge schools, and our staff has done well finding hidden gems. I think if we continue to be a good team, and maybe even a top tier team in the new league, the recruiting will follow. I read UAA doesn’t do any summer camps or anything like that. That is odd to me. Camps are a great opportunity to see some good, young, raw, local talent.

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    On the recruiting side, Woody mentioned in his article about Shyiak's firing that UAF has a verbal commitment from a kid who is considered Alaska's top high school prospect, from Anchorage no less. Verbal commitments are a long way from signing day (just ask UAA about Matt Friese), but I've heard that Ferguson and his staff have made a big push to get to know the high school coaches statewide, and I think it's starting to pay some dividends. I think part of Shyiak's downfall was the inability, or maybe lack of desire, to recruit in-state. I doubt we'll ever be able to keep all the top prospects at home unless hell freezes and we win multiple national titles, but there shouldn't be as much leakage as there historically has been. That Stephon Williams kid who is from Fairbanks and went to Mankato hurts...who knows what we did to try and recruit him, but those are the talents we need to try and keep in the state whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

I've never met Lance but I've heard good things as well.

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
    Ha! I'll look forward to meeting someone brave enough to yell at Lance! He teaches a hockey class at the university, so he yells at me at least once a semester, and regularly scowls in my direction. But head coach Dallas Ferguson is the very definition of "calm and reasonable," and assistant coach Corbin Schmidt is always smiling and joking (at least in public}, so it's probably good to have someone with Lance's edge. He comes across as very smart, and emphasizes hockey theory. Very intense guy. I think the Nanooks need someone like him.
    Lance West, as you know is a straight up hockey guy. He is a solid guy and coach. I think he is an underrated part of our program. I hope he sticks around for a while, but I think sooner than latter we'll lose him to a head coaching job somewhere either juniors or college. He seems to be well liked here in Fairbanks. One of my buddies is friends with him and his wife, and he has nothing but good things to say about Lance. It sounds like he is just as good as a guy as he is a coach.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

I agree with you.
    On the recruiting side, Woody mentioned in his article about Shyiak's firing that UAF has a verbal commitment from a kid who is considered Alaska's top high school prospect, from Anchorage no less. Verbal commitments are a long way from signing day (just ask UAA about Matt Friese), but I've heard that Ferguson and his staff have made a big push to get to know the high school coaches statewide, and I think it's starting to pay some dividends. I think part of Shyiak's downfall was the inability, or maybe lack of desire, to recruit in-state. I doubt we'll ever be able to keep all the top prospects at home unless hell freezes and we win multiple national titles, but there shouldn't be as much leakage as there historically has been. That Stephon Williams kid who is from Fairbanks and went to Mankato hurts...who knows what we did to try and recruit him, but those are the talents we need to try and keep in the state whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

I can live with airfare considering the circumstances.

Hotel and ground transport is more than a little ridiculous in the regular season, let alone playoffs.

The link didnt work
    Try this one

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

and no mention of all. just airfare

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf Fan
    replied

When the Alaska playoff format was changed so the 2 Alaska schools did not automatically have to play each other in the playoffs I read on what i thought was a reliable internet site (if there is such a thing) that to get the change each Alaska school agreed to pay travel expenses for the visiting team. Alabama got tossed into the same boat. Can't remember where I read it however while trying to refind it I came across this:

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...playoff-format

this article does not have as much detail as what I originally read. I believe the original article read "all" travel expenses which I interpreted to mean including meals and hotel, bus to the venue, etc.
    Anybody else have any info on this?
    The link didnt work
    Try this one

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

and no mention of all. just airfare

Leave a comment:

• Seawolf Fan
    replied

When the Alaska playoff format was changed so the 2 Alaska schools did not automatically have to play each other in the playoffs I read on what i thought was a reliable internet site (if there is such a thing) that to get the change each Alaska school agreed to pay travel expenses for the visiting team. Alabama got tossed into the same boat. Can't remember where I read it however while trying to refind it I came across this:

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...playoff-format

this article does not have as much detail as what I originally read. I believe the original article read "all" travel expenses which I interpreted to mean including meals and hotel, bus to the venue, etc.
    Anybody else have any info on this?

Leave a comment:

• Rms123
    replied

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I'm not as worried about recruiting, personally. Our strategy all along has been to find diamonds in the rough and I don't see that changing. Schmidt, I think, will only help for two reasons:

1. He has a professional background of working with prospects in Minnesota.

2. He's an Anchorage boy, and our current staff has made a push to stay plugged in with the high school coaches in SC Alaska.

As for this season (assuming it's done, which it probably is), we finished about where I thought we would. We had veterans up front and a rookie in net, and I think we got about as much out of the season as was realistic. Winning record, swept the Brice and the Gov Cup, and hosted the playoffs is a pretty decent season. It wasn't that long ago that his type pf season would have had fans doing backflips. The playoff loss was a bummer but it happens. Bowling Green did the same thing last year as the 11 seed.

As for improvements, obviously you want the team to keep improving but I also hope the athletic department and administration start taking some steps to re-invigorate fan interest. I noticed a few changes as the year went along and Dr. Gray got settled in, but overall community interest really seemed to lag under Karr. As I've said before, if they pushed every game like they do when the opponent is UAA we wouldn't be facing an attendance deficit.

Anyway, hope springs eternal and maybe we will be playing Quinnipiac in a couple of weeks.
    I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Rms123
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I sure haven't heard it down here.

I have to ask: how do y'all like Lance West? I had many a beer with him while he was our top AC. I'm glad that he found a home after getting passed over for the top job after Doug Ross retired. I'll look forward to yelling at him on the opposing bench in 14-15.

GFM <— happy to be a part of it all, and looking forward to our year in the rotation where we play in Anchorage and Fairbanks on consecutive weekends.
    Lance West, as you know is a straight up hockey guy. He is a solid guy and coach. I think he is an underrated part of our program. I hope he sticks around for a while, but I think sooner than latter we'll lose him to a head coaching job somewhere either juniors or college. He seems to be well liked here in Fairbanks. One of my buddies is friends with him and his wife, and he has nothing but good things to say about Lance. It sounds like he is just as good as a guy as he is a coach.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
    Ha! I'll look forward to meeting someone brave enough to yell at Lance! He teaches a hockey class at the university, so he yells at me at least once a semester, and regularly scowls in my direction.
    I wasn't around when he played, but I knew him most of the time that he coach. Trust me, I've gotten some looks out of him. But when you travel with a team for a season, you do build at least a small bond with your guys.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Haven't read all 13 pages so my apologies if this has been discussed. Not dissing just stating what I think are facts. As sad as the Sully is it should recruit better than the Carlson. As bad as the Anchorage weather is it should recruit better than Fairbanks. Overall recruiting to Anchorage should be easier than recruiting to Fairbanks.
    All that being said Fergy has done an outstanding job with the hated Nooks.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but the Carlson is in better shape than the Sully, and will be even more improved once the $3.5 million upgrade is complete.

But you're right, Anchorage should technically be easier to recruit to. Our staff does a good job of finding players who want to be there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X