Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Freshman JD Peterson broke his arm in practice. Didn't take long for the injury bug to hit this year.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that every single expert out there expects us to finish dead last. It's going to be that much more fun when we start winning.
      Seems we always do best when expectations are low. I like our polled position as well.
      The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Freshman JD Peterson broke his arm in practice. Didn't take long for the injury bug to hit this year.
        Wow. Practices must be pretty intense! Sorry to hear this, I never like to see any players injured. Even if they do play for _airbanks.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, we should have our hands full next weekend.

Friday, Oct 12th, 5:07pm. UAF vs. Air Force, at Kendall in Anchorage.
          Saturday, Oct. 23rd, 4:07pm, UAF vs. Canisius, at Kendall in Anchorage.

Air Force went 21-11-7 last year, won the AHA again, made the NCAAs, and fell to BC 2-0 in regionals. They return 4 of their top 5 scorers and have a good experienced goaltender. They finished up 16th last year in the USCHO poll and are 19th in USCHO preseason poll. They will be tough out.

Air Force plays an exhibition Monday night and then has to hot foot it to Anchorage for the early game on Friday. I’m sure we’ll hear nary a peep about travel, because the cadets will be too busy with their academy class loads. Hats off to them.

Canisius returns much of last year’s team except for their goaltender. But as last year’s backup he played about 19 games. Defense should be their strength as they return all of last year’s d-corp, and nobody is under 6ft. So we will be going up a fairly experienced team. They had trouble scoring last year and that still might be a weak spot. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone on that one.

I’m headed down Thursday and the weather forecast is not looking too bad. I was expecting a nasty drive. I guess it still could end up that way. For anyone headed south, drive carefully.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Why did coach not play Thompson, does this mean he out of the roation, or were the other two playing for the backup spot?

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
              Why did coach not play Thompson, does this mean he out of the roation, or were the other two playing for the backup spot?
              Suspended, according to the Nanook hockey blog.

Even then, Drygas was saying on the air that Cahill had looked the best in practice. I guess we'll know on Friday.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

I still don't overlook them. Merrimack is no slouch, either. Should be some good games all the way around.

Our first CCHA series after the Brice is at Ferris State (something about being involved in a championship game). Even with a watered down North Dakota, we'll still be tested early on.
                Well Merrimack just beat union 4-1 they may be the best team in the Brice.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                  Well Merrimack just beat union 4-1 they may be the best team in the Brice.
                  Didn't we beat Union last year?

Comment

Didn't we beat Union last year?
                    Two years ago and it was a tough game, now they are better, and I guess so is Merrimack.

Comment

Long interview with Coach Ferguson:

Comment

Good luck in that last year of the CCHA. I always liked you guys a little...
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          Good luck in that last year of the CCHA. I always liked you guys a little...
                          I'll admit I'm going to miss the B1G schools coming to Fairbanks.

I'm sure we'll have the odd contestant in the Brice tournament occasionally but it won't be the same.

Comment

Pretty solid showing against a solid Air Force team. Nice to get the shoot out W even though it doesn't mean anything in the long run. Cahill looked a little out of sorts at times, and that second goal was one he probably wants back, but overall he held his own in his first real NCAA game. I'll be interested to see if he's in net tomorrow or if Thompson gets a chance to play in his hometown.

One thing I noticed was the lack of a guy in front of the Air Force goalie. Taranto has made a living punching in goals from the crease area, and tonight it seemed like we always had about three guys bunched up on one side of the ice. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

Go 'Nooks...and it was nice to see a relatively good showing of UAF folks tonight. Definitely better than last year's Kendall games.

Comment

Pretty solid showing against a solid Air Force team. Nice to get the shoot out W even though it doesn't mean anything in the long run. Cahill looked a little out of sorts at times, and that second goal was one he probably wants back, but overall he held his own in his first real NCAA game. I'll be interested to see if he's in net tomorrow or if Thompson gets a chance to play in his hometown.

One thing I noticed was the lack of a guy in front of the Air Force goalie. Taranto has made a living punching in goals from the crease area, and tonight it seemed like we always had about three guys bunched up on one side of the ice. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

Go 'Nooks...and it was nice to see a relatively good showing of UAF folks tonight. Definitely better than last year's Kendall games.
                              That's good to know a lot of Nanook fans came down. I watched on the internet and the Sully looked even more empty than last year. Sad. I fear with the Aces having a few NHL'ers on their team now they will really draw most of the hockey fans to their games, and they already had games earlier this week with over 5000 fans so people already spent their money on hockey for the week.
                              Originally Posted by aparch
                              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                That's good to know a lot of Nanook fans came down. I watched on the internet and the Sully looked even more empty than last year. Sad. I fear with the Aces having a few NHL'ers on their team now they will really draw most of the hockey fans to their games, and they already had games earlier this week with over 5000 fans so people already spent their money on hockey for the week.
                                I disagree; it was noticeably better than last year's Friday Kendall game. That one was so bad you could count the number of people in the stands.

I think most of the 'Nook fans that showed up are Anchorage-area locals. Announced attendance was a shade over 1,600. Not good, but I'd guess about half those were UAF folks, with the rest Air Force fans and UAA fans.

Comment

Working...
                                X