X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Re: Alaska Nanooks 2012-2013: Going Out With a Bang

Saw on Woody's blog there will be a UAF-UAA alumni game on March 2 before the GC finale at Sully. That has the potential for some entertainment...

Leave a comment:

• Suze
    replied

Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Hope the boys are ready for this weekend. We need another road sweep to stay in the hunt. Shouldn’t be a problem since America-One Sports shows LSSU playing Alaska Anchorage tonight also. I sure hope we get them the second game of tonight’s double header. Or maybe Anchorage is playing their JV team.
    [/COLOR]
    Too funny. I think they just get the Alaska schools mixed up. Not excusing them, I think it's kinda funny.

Leave a comment:

• mmf
    replied

Hope the boys are ready for this weekend. We need another road sweep to stay in the hunt. Shouldn’t be a problem since America-One Sports shows LSSU playing Alaska Anchorage tonight also. I sure hope we get them the second game of tonight’s double header. Or maybe Anchorage is playing their JV team.

I also note that LSSU is coming off a bye week. It seems like we have read that a lot this season. It looks like we will have played four series against teams coming off a bye week (BGSU, Miami, OSU, LSSU). Seems like a lot. But no excuses. Just get’r done.

Go Nooks!

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

Nolan Youngmun was tagged with a one game suspension for his CTH penalty on Saturday against OSU.

And, Odegard was the CCHA Defensive POW.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    I don't know about eliminating the chances at a bye. Ferris lost to NMU Saturday so 4-5-6 are all one point apart. The other side to that coin though is the games in hand situation. Ohio State has a tough schedule left with WMU, a recovering Michigan team, and at Miami. Ferris State has a tough BGSU team to deal with before visiting Yost. Definitely not out of a bye yet by any means. Remember top 5 get byes, but ideally not being in the 5th seed would mean home ice second round.
    What hurts us is the "games in hand" that the other teams have, unfortunately. 5th isn't out of the realm of possibility but I think 4th is very unlikely unless Ferris and OSU both start losing.

Not sure what to expect from the PWR going forward. I do think we are going to have to rely on some of the other teams ahead of us stumbling a bit down the stretch, and also hope that Niagara wins the AHA tournament; if there's a Cinderella champion in AHA and Niagara is still in the top 16, somebody is getting screwed. Ideally we would sweep LSSU next week (hard to do in their barn) and then somehow they would sneak up into the TUC at the end of the season, but that scenario is a stretch. Assuming we don't get the CCHA bye, we would also have to sweep whoever comes up for the first round of the playoffs.

Bottom line...just win. And especially don't let the seapups screw us out of the NCAA's by laying an egg against them, much like they did in 2009.

Leave a comment:

• UAFHockeyFan314
    replied
    Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Buckeyes deserved that one. We took some bad penalties in the 2nd and made a couple of bad mistakes in the 3rd that made it 3-1. Keeney looked bad on the last two goals.

Drygas alluded to this on the radio broadcast, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we shake up the goaltending situation at Lake Superior. If history is any indication I think Keeney gets a shot at redemption on Friday but if we drop another one Friday I bet Thompson gets some time Saturday.

Tough loss; we really needed at least a tie tonight for a variety of reasons. Unless OSU and Ferris really stumble this loss pretty much eliminated any chance at a bye. It also knocks us to #15 in the PWR. If we drop much more than one game the rest of the way we can forget about going to the tourney.
    I don't know about eliminating the chances at a bye. Ferris lost to NMU Saturday so 4-5-6 are all one point apart. The other side to that coin though is the games in hand situation. Ohio State has a tough schedule left with WMU, a recovering Michigan team, and at Miami. Ferris State has a tough BGSU team to deal with before visiting Yost. Definitely not out of a bye yet by any means. Remember top 5 get byes, but ideally not being in the 5th seed would mean home ice second round.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

Buckeyes deserved that one. We took some bad penalties in the 2nd and made a couple of bad mistakes in the 3rd that made it 3-1. Keeney looked bad on the last two goals.

Drygas alluded to this on the radio broadcast, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we shake up the goaltending situation at Lake Superior. If history is any indication I think Keeney gets a shot at redemption on Friday but if we drop another one Friday I bet Thompson gets some time Saturday.

Tough loss; we really needed at least a tie tonight for a variety of reasons. Unless OSU and Ferris really stumble this loss pretty much eliminated any chance at a bye. It also knocks us to #15 in the PWR. If we drop much more than one game the rest of the way we can forget about going to the tourney.

Leave a comment:

• West Texas Wolverine
    replied

Bummer tonight. 110 minutes of awesome hockey this weekend. Go 'Nooks!

Leave a comment:

• UAFHockeyFan314
    replied

Well if that was any indication, the 'Nooks rebounded well. Colton Beck told Jaime Schwartzwald after the game how excited he was, but "...we have to put it behind us and get ready to go tomorrow night."

Well put, sir. After getting the hat trick, he still has his priorities straight. I hope he at least celebrated a little bit. Kunyk also played a phenomenal game last night. A lot of us have mentioned he's exhibited some laziness over times, but his passing is spot on. All Beck had to do on those goals was just get the tape on it and its in the back of the net. Unreal last night.

The 'Nooks torched the 2nd ranked defense in the CCHA, #10 in the country in goals allowed per game for 6 goals last night. An unbelievable showing for that Nanooks team, especially rebounding the way they did. Should be a great second game as they look for the sweep.

Also of interest, over on my blog I took a look at next years WCHA composition and tried to analyze how strong that conference would be. Give it a read if you're interested. http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com/201...look-wcha.html

Long story short, the Nanooks should be number 1 in that conference.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    How we do against OSU this weekend should go a long way in determining what was more of an aberration: the undefeated January or going O-fer against Miami.

I think we'll bounce back, personally.

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    Okay, HOPEFULLY just a little bump in the road. Game was a 2-1 game Friday with two empty netters scored to make final 4-1. Nanooks tied Saturday game at 2, only to give up the lead for good 90 seconds later. Keeney did not look good on the games final three goals. He gets his mulligan and will be MORE than ready for Ohio State this weekend. Nanooks need to take care of business in the final six league games and things will be good. The teams below them have wins and points to make up and if Alaska plays like they should, they will be OK

Leave a comment:

• fairbanks hockey puck
    replied

Okay, HOPEFULLY just a little bump in the road. Game was a 2-1 game Friday with two empty netters scored to make final 4-1. Nanooks tied Saturday game at 2, only to give up the lead for good 90 seconds later. Keeney did not look good on the games final three goals. He gets his mulligan and will be MORE than ready for Ohio State this weekend. Nanooks need to take care of business in the final six league games and things will be good. The teams below them have wins and points to make up and if Alaska plays like they should, they will be OK

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied

John Keeney was named the CCHA Rookie of the Month for January. Well-deserved.

Leave a comment:

• Schlacker Rat
    replied
    Originally posted by Methodical View Post
    Both Miami games will be carried live on Fox7 in high definition.
    Very Cool! Go Nooks!

Leave a comment:

• Methodical
    replied

Both Miami games will be carried live on Fox7 in high definition.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Are two UAF threads really necessary?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X