2012-13 Hockey East Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    BU returns one player who scored more than 31 points, while BC returns 4 players that scored more than 35 points, so they definitely have the edge up front. They both have big holes to fill on defense and will be forced to play multiple Freshmen and/or inexperienced players. BC returns an All-American caliber Goalie, while BU is going with Freshmen. Overall, BC is clearly bringing back quite a bit more proven talent.

Don't forget though that BC also played 5 more games than BU. It's better to compare points per game than totals.

Comment

Re: 2012-13 Hockey East Thread

York had to vote for someone. A vote for bu would have been blasphemy. Voting for Lowell or PC would intill confidence in those turnarounds (although Lowell fans seem to think that they will have home ice clinched by Thanksgiving). That leaves UNH, which will probably have a nice, but not thrilling, team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
        Lowell fans seem to think that they will have home ice clinched by Thanksgiving
        We do?
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          We do?
          Don't you know that we don't deserve to think we will do well returning the bulk of a team that finished 2nd in Hockey East?
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

York had to vote for someone. A vote for bu would have been blasphemy. Voting for Lowell or PC would intill confidence in those turnarounds (although Lowell fans seem to think that they will have home ice clinched by Thanksgiving). That leaves UNH, which will probably have a nice, but not thrilling, team this year.
            The amount of Lowell butthurt is strong with this one.

This pleases me.
            Lowell Forever
            Forever Lowell

Comment

(although Lowell fans seem to think that they will have home ice clinched by Thanksgiving).
              Let the Umass-Lowell fans have their fun. This is their once in a lifetime dance in the spotlight. Umass Amherst had theirs a few years ago. Then UVM... then Merrimack. All of those were shortlived. UML is next in line. PC is probably next in a few years.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Let the Umass-Lowell fans have their fun. This is their once in a lifetime dance in the spotlight. Umass Amherst had theirs a few years ago. Then UVM... then Merrimack. All of those were shortlived. UML is next in line. PC is probably next in a few years.
                Sadly for the smaller schools, this is probably true.
                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                  Sadly for the smaller schools, this is probably true.
                  We'll worry about that another day
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    Don't you know that we don't deserve to think we will do well returning the bulk of a team that finished 2nd in Hockey East?
                    Only an engineer could create that sentence/question!

We've all seen teams in UML's position. Let's hope things all come together again like they did last year. Solid play from Carr, no serious injuries, chemistry etc. Evenf everything doesn't come together perfectly, your team will probably still be a lot better than they were. So don't slash your wrists. They'll be plenty of posters from other schools who will be happy to do that for you.
                    Last edited by Ryecheers; 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Re: 2012-13 Hockey East Thread

So don't slash your wrists. They'll be plenty of posters from other schools who will be happy to do that for you.
                      Looking in your direction UVM, UMass, and Northeastern

Comment

Thoughts after the first weekend?
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

* Northeastern is better than I thought, better than coaches/media thought, as well. I'm still skeptical of Rawlings. I saw the NU-Merrimack game. He still looks shaky at times and let up a big time soft goal to Mansfield. I like Roy a lot, but they have a solid top three forward lines. Also, HE fans will grow to be impressed with Saucerman. He'll be a fan favorite at NU as he plays with an edge.

* Like I suspected, Maine will finish a lot lower than where coaches had them. I think their average goaltending will be the best part of the team. Diamond, Beatie and Anthoine are all good forwards, but the rest of the talent is young freshmen forwards who will take time. Also, their coaching, as has been well chronicled, will kill them.

* Providence looks to be good. They have a few key injuries to their top nine forwards, but once healthy, I think PC will exceed expectations of coaches.

* Merrimack, through two games, both of which I've seen live, will be fine in net. Marotta looked real good and Tironnen looked good after the first period. If Collins and Toomey can get things cranking, I like what I see from the Myers line and Mansfield and Bly have been impressive.

My revised HE rankings, after seeing four games live and a few others on television:

1. BC
                          2. BU
                          3. Lowell
                          4. UNH
                          5. Providence
                          6. NU
                          7. Merrimack
                          8. Vermont
                          9. Maine
                          10. UMass

Comment

I didn't make any picks, but can I revise after each and every weekend?

Pretty good starts for UNH and NU, obviously. Will be an interesting home and home they have coming up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post

* Like I suspected, Maine will finish a lot lower than where coaches had them. I think their average goaltending will be the best part of the team. Diamond, Beatie and Anthoine are all good forwards, but the rest of the talent is young freshmen forwards who will take time. Also, their coaching, as has been well chronicled, will kill them.

My revised HE rankings, after seeing four games live and a few others on television:

1. BC
                              2. BU
                              3. Lowell
                              4. UNH
                              5. Providence
                              6. NU
                              7. Merrimack
                              8. Vermont
                              9. Maine
                              10. UMass
                              I think 9 and 10 should switch
                              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

I would have to say that Northeastern's start has to be the headline of the first weekend in Hockey East action. Before I get excited about the Huntington Hounds, let's see how they deal with the first two road games against BC, and the following week @ UNH. How the young Huskies deal with emotion of going through BC's banner-raising ceremony is especially of interest to me. They do have some promise at forward, but I don't know too much about their defense to see if they will be around this season.

I've said this to a few Lowell people privately, but I think Merrimack's goal-tending isn't as bad as some may believe. I'm not anointing either one of them as the next Joe Cannata, but I've seen Marrotta play in a few games last season and he has the talent to be a serviceable goalie for them. The key is that Merrimack has to be more offensive-minded and will have to score more than they had over the past two seasons. They simply can't continue to rely on the defense & goalie to keep the scores low. They are in Alaska this weekend concluding four straight on the road to open the season. Next week, they open their home schedule against Vermont to start a stretch of 5/6 home games. Another interesting schedule quirk is they finish the regular season-series against NU on 11/3.

Vermont is going to be a scrappy team, but simply doesn't have the firepower to keep up with this league over the length of the season. They are a better team than last year, but we will see if their new goalie, Hoffman, can keep them in games like he did against Lowell. Some will argue that it was the lack of shot quality which helped him more and made the quantity look better than it actually was. Either way one slices it, he single-handedly earned a point for the Catamounts.

UMass/BU/UNH/Providence/Maine: Incomplete. I'm not going to go nuts one way or another for a BU 4-2 win in a season opener or a UNH sweep of a middle of the road WCHA team in Durham. Nonetheless, a good beginning for both teams. BU/UNH is always interesting but looking forward to that Maine/PC series at the end of October. That's going to give some very useful early results on Providence College.

BC/Lowell: Arguably, the two preseason "favorites" had not-so-terrific starts. All eyes will be on them this week to see how the predicted elite bounce back from a less than auspicious start to the seaon.
                                Last edited by John_Fuller; 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM.
                                - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X