2012-13 Hockey East Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012-13 Hockey East Thread

I'm not smart enough to be able to pick 1 thru 10 but I'll nominate Providence as the surprise team of the year, especially if Gillies is as good as advertised.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
      I'm confused as to why you're speaking of UNH w/out Moses in the past tense when he just graduated last year?

They're above-average in net with Casey DeSmith, who, assuming he doesn't fall victim to a Sophomore Slump, should make them better early on than they were last year. They also have many young players who UNH fans watched develop over the year; not that BU was a powerhouse, but UNH gave them a helluva run in the QF's last year. I think UNH will be between 3-6, hopefully on the higher end.

Completely arbitrary:
      1BC
      2UML
      3UNH
      4BU
      5Maine
      6PC
      7NU
      8UMA
      9Mack
      10UVM
      Providence over Maine and they could get right up behind Lowell and BC.
      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Ok, my guesses for awards:

Player of the Year: F Johnny Gaudreau - Boston College
        Defenseman of the Year: D Chad Ruhwedel - UMass-Lowell
        Rookie of the Year: F Kevin Roy - Northeastern
        Coach of the Year: Nate Leaman - Providence
        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          I'm pretty surprised to see BU picked so high by so many considering what they've lost. Yes, still a good amount of talent returning...

Guess we'll see.
          I think you can say the same for BC losing so much on offense and defense. But we know BC and BU usually get to recruit more top talent than the other HE schools.
          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
            I think you can say the same for BC losing so much on offense and defense. But we know BC and BU usually get to recruit more top talent than the other HE schools.
            BU returns one player who scored more than 31 points, while BC returns 4 players that scored more than 35 points, so they definitely have the edge up front. They both have big holes to fill on defense and will be forced to play multiple Freshmen and/or inexperienced players. BC returns an All-American caliber Goalie, while BU is going with Freshmen. Overall, BC is clearly bringing back quite a bit more proven talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
              My quick thoughts based mainly on departures and not knowing a ton about the recruits..

Stock rising: PC, UML, BU - all three returning solid talent and goaltending....
              ?? BU returns NO goaltending
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

My predictions which will probably be horribly wrong:

BU
                BC
                Maine
                Providence
                UNH
                UML
                NEU
                MC
                UVM
                UMA

I think all the stuff with BU will actually help them focus more on hockey and I would assume they'll probably keep a pretty low profile as far as drinking/partying go. A lot of people have BC number one but I'm not so sure. They're going to have a couple great lines without a doubt but who knows with the rest of the team. I feel really good about Maine, I think they're the most balanced team in hockey east. A lot of people look at what they lost and see them going backwards but I think its more important to look at what they are going to have this year. They'll have three guys up front who scored 11 goals or more last year along with some guys whose output will increase along with a good freshman class. I think their D and goaltending will be good as well. I don't feel great about the Providence pick but usually some team unexpectedly sneaks into the top four and I think they will be it this year. UNH will be better this year but not get home ice. I see them as being a year away from being back amongst the top teams. UML finished third last year but I wasn't really sold on them. The fact they couldn't beat Maine at home in February or win the HEA QF series against Providence said a lot to me. They won't sneak up on teams either this year which makes it a lot harder.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

[QUOTE=Drew S.;5501877]My predictions which will probably be horribly wrong:
                  BU
                  BC
                  Maine
                  Providence
                  UNH
                  UML
                  NEUMC
                  UVM
                  UMA

QUOTE]

I agree with your prediction about your predictions ( or at least most of them - I think you got PC and UNH about right)

FYI The name Northeastern University contains two words, not three. Therefore it should be abbreviated NU not NEU. Please make a note.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ryecheers;5501953]
                    Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    My predictions which will probably be horribly wrong:
                    BU
                    BC
                    Maine
                    Providence
                    UNH
                    UML
                    NEUMC
                    UVM
                    UMA

QUOTE]

I agree with your prediction about your predictions ( or at least most of them - I think you got PC and UNH about right)

FYI The name Northeastern University contains two words, not three. Therefore it should be abbreviated NU not NEU. Please make a note.

Until we can get our OWN university to stop using http://myneu.neu.edu/cp/home/displaylogin as the student log-in page (and redirecting to northeastern.edu from neu.edu), I don't think it's worth the effort to try correcting people outside the university.
                    On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                    If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

[QUOTE=HungryHungryHuskies;5501981]
                      Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

Until we can get our OWN university to stop using http://myneu.neu.edu/cp/home/displaylogin as the student log-in page (and redirecting to northeastern.edu from neu.edu), I don't think it's worth the effort to try correcting people outside the university.
                      Respectfully disagree. Just because some IT cementhead decided to label the university's domain with an improper acronym (and nobody in the administration stopped him/her) doesn't mean it should be perpetuated. Acronyms are constructed from the first letters of each word and, as Rycheers sagaciously points out, Northeatern University is two words, not three. And as you insightfully point out, anyone keying in the "neu.edu" domain is being redirected to "northeastern.edu."

I'll consider changing my mind if and when Northwestern University decides to become known as NWU.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Let's see how badly I can mess this up

1.) BC - too good not to be #1 again
                        2.) UML - could very well challenge for #1, especially if Carr is as good as last year.
                        3.) PC - I think they are going to surprise some people this year - I like this team a lot if Gillies can adjust to the college game.
                        4.) BU - While I'm confident in PC's freshman goalie, I'm worried about our two freshmen tendys. Offensive output should be on par with last year, though
                        5.) UNH - Arbitrary spot
                        6.) Maine - Also an arbitrary spot
                        7.) NU - could very well be closer to 3/4 if Rawlings can remember how to stop the puck
                        8.) Mack - gonna be a tough year for MC, especially in net
                        9.) Amherst - While they will probably have an early season jolt due to their new coaching staff, they'll be back to Earth by Turkey Day.
                        10.) UVM - Sorry guys. Nowhere to go but up though, right?

Comment

With so many new faces all over the place,it's near impossible to pin it down other than BC/BU 1-2,it's gonna be a very exciting year!,even my Huskies are much improved,and we will see that Madigan isn't so bad after all.

Comment

[QUOTE=Split-N;5501993]
                            Originally posted by HungryHungryHuskies View Post

Respectfully disagree. Just because some IT cementhead decided to label the university's domain with an improper acronym (and nobody in the administration stopped him/her) doesn't mean it should be perpetuated. Acronyms are constructed from the first letters of each word and, as Rycheers sagaciously points out, Northeatern University is two words, not three. And as you insightfully point out, anyone keying in the "neu.edu" domain is being redirected to "northeastern.edu."

I'll consider changing my mind if and when Northwestern University decides to become known as NWU.
                            I'm not the one who needs convincing. My point is, why bother trying to correct someone when some ####head is just going to point to the university's website, anyway? Sometimes it's best to just not acknowledge something that really doesn't matter anyway.
                            On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                            If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              UML finished third last year but I wasn't really sold on them.
                              Well since you got this simple fact wrong ...
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Husky View Post
                                With so many new faces all over the place,it's near impossible to pin it down other than BC/BU 1-2,it's gonna be a very exciting year!,even my Huskies are much improved,and we will see that Madigan isn't so bad after all.
                                I wouldn't be so quick to anoint BU a top 2 team. They obviously lost a bunch of players last year, some of whom should still be on the team and then lost a couple more of their best players in the off-season, plus they will playing a Freshman goalie. They COULD certainly be a top 2 team, but I wouldn't say it's anything even close to a sure thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X