Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    No question the pros don't put forth a total effort in every game of the regular season, but then again they (normally) play twice as many games as the college players do. I don't think it's asking too much of our guys to try their hardest whenever they're out there...
    Effort on the ice in specific battles or shifts are only 1 part (and the most visible at that) of effort in my eyes. Preparation is just as important but far less conspicuous.

I think at least some of the struggles (and frustrations from fans) can be attributed to less than total effort in preparation.
    Preparation is the hardest part. It's the hard and tedious work you have to put in at times when the emotion isn't rising, the adrenaline isn't flowing and sometimes when you really just want to be somewhere else or thinking about something different.

My gut says that the effort not just on the ice during games, but in physical preparation at practice and mental preparation on the bus to games or sitting in video sessions or strapping on the gear for practice or the night before when heading to bed, is going to get better as the end of the season closes in and the finish line is in sight.

Comment

Merry Christmas fellow Gopher Fans!

Last year I asked for Bjugstad's return for x-mas. This year I would like an NC! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Nice try...but given his popularity plummeted when he ditched the Gophers midseason, you might be hardpressed to unload the KO helmet for even $150.
        Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Not the first item I've seen him post at an outrageous price.
        I certainly do not mean to offend anyone with the asking prices. If nothing else it is a compliment to the number of diehard Gophers fans / collectors. Yes, you are correct that I have posted some other things here at prices that might have seemed high, but they do sell at those prices. I hope you don't blame me for asking what the market will pay.
        I would be thrilled if someone came across a Michigan Tech item of interest and notified me, even if I thought the price was quite high. You can always negotiate, but not if you don't know about the item.
        Happy Holidays,
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Grats and good luck to Mike Reilly!

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...122512aaa.html

Minnesota freshman defenseman Mike Reilly has been selected to skate for the U.S. squad at the upcoming 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia.

The U.S. will look to earn its third medal in four years at the event, which runs from Dec. 26, 2012-Jan. 5, 2013. Team USA captured the gold medal at the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship in Saskatoon, Sask., and the bronze medal at the 2011 IIHF World Junior Championship in Buffalo, N.Y.

A native of Chanhassen, Minn., Reilly leads all Gophers freshmen and ranks tied for second in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association among rookie defensemen with 10 points (two goals, eight assists) this season.

With Reilly’s selection, the Gophers have now been represented at each IIHF World Junior Championship since 1992 (the only year since the event began in 1977 that the University of Minnesota was not been represented by a player or staff member).

Minnesota assistant coach Grant Potulny will also serve in the same capacity with the U.S. team this year under head coach Phil Housley.

Team USA opens this year’s tournament on Thursday, Dec. 27 vs. Germany. Game time is 8 p.m. local time (8 a.m. CT) with NHL Network broadcasting live and NHL.com streaming live. A complete schedule and roster is available at USAHockey.com
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

WCHA is already down 1-3 this weekend. Hope the Gophs can represent the conference better than SCSU, UMD and UNO.

Comment

Well I didn't hate seeing that.

7-0 non-conference record. Notre Dame looms large on the horizon.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Hearing Haula's injury was to his shoulder. Seeing doctors tomorrow, but no update on status as of yet.

Hope he's alright.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  Hearing Haula's injury was to his shoulder. Seeing doctors tomorrow, but no update on status as of yet.

Hope he's alright.
                  Definitely. He has been "the man" this season so far.

Good to see the first line go bonkers again. Also, Isackson was great this weekend, and Ryan Reilly was fun to watch too.

Comment

Hope Haula is ok, we need him in the lineup to make a run.

Great win by the Gophs!

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Definitely. He has been "the man" this season so far.

Good to see the first line go bonkers again. Also, Isackson was great this weekend, and Ryan Reilly was fun to watch too.
                      Really agree with all of that. I'm really hoping Bjugstad's 2nd goal tonight is just the first in a string of strong play going forward. That's the kind of goal every MN fan knows he is capable of, and we need to see more of it if MN is going to be a team to be feared.

I also really liked the 4th line. All weekend in fact. They had some of the best shifts of any line last night, a fact that I think can largely be attributed to Air Force's lack of depth in comparison to Minnesota. But having Isackson on that 4th line actually makes a lot of sense to me. He's got great puck handling skills, and putting him out there against the opposition's 3rd/4th line allows him to be quite a bit more productive with it.

And I'm ready to see Reilly get some more starts. Kid's got a motor on him.

Comment

That 3rd MN goal...........he deked me out of MY shorts.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And just like that, Gophers-Notre Dame could be a battle of #1 vs. #2.

Comment

I just realized that I am wearing the same shirt I wore to our beat down in Tampa.

That said, this does not make up for it. This was not the prize for this season. A very good Notre Dame team is next, time to keep this up.

Comment

The atmosphere in the building was electric tonight. Just too bad there was a bit of a conflict with the Vikings game, as there were quite a few empty seats at the beginning, and those late-arriving fans missed out on some insane action. As soon as they dropped the puck you quickly realized that the Gophers were so ready to play this game, so much so that it almost seemed like they had been saving themselves in all the games before the December break, just to be primed and at their very best for this one. Yes, I know that's not the case, but it sure seemed like it!

My hope now is that the Gophs can now build on this supreme effort, so that the level of play they showed tonight becomes instinctive. And I can think of no better time to prove that this game was not an anamoly than the Notre Dame game on January 8th! Winning that one - by any margin - would be another huge step forward for this team as they make their second half run to the NCAA's.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

My reaction when I saw the final:

---
                                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                                19 Conference Championships
                                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X