Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    You really are a dolt.

Not that it really matters. The polls are volatile and often far too subjective to put much stock in teams' exact placements. Rather, the genesis of that post (which even a dumbass like you would have caught if you hadn't come in here with the sole intention of hating) was Koho saying he would feel better about their play if they went 3-0 over the next 3 games. My implication was that going 3-0 would be pretty darn impressive.
    And it not that I don't recognize winning all three will be very difficult. Just that it would take them playing at a very high level over a few games to counteract them playing below the high expectations I have for this team based on last year's play and the personnel they have. The big question mark pre-season, was goaltending. with Wilcox playing so well, they should be able to more than squeek by lower level teams. If they had a more convincing first half, I'd be happy with 2-1 in the next three, given BC and ND's skill levels. This Goph team has tons of talent and should be in the running for league championship and NC, so I would like to see them start to put together complete games on a regular basis.

(And while I deleted most of the post I am replying to, I had to leave in that first line because I thought it was a good start to a post.)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      And it not that I don't recognize winning all three will be very difficult. Just that it would take them playing at a very high level over a few games to counteract them playing below the high expectations I have for this team based on last year's play and the personnel they have.
      Solid points.

My reason for optimism: As a team the Gophers have played very well defensively and have, for the most part, cut down on turnovers at the blue lines. Of course they there is room for improvement but they have played solid team defense & this is critical if a team is to play far into March-April. I suspect if they stop trying to make every goal pretty the offense will begin to gather momentum.

Biggest question for the 2nd half if/when tDon will settle on a lineup?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

...so I would like to see them start to put together complete games on a regular basis.
        THAT in my opinion is the key for the second half. And by "THAT" I mean a TOTAL TEAM EFFORT of EVERY period of EVERY game. If they do that, everything else will fall into place.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I have another offering for those of Gopher Nation since I'm mainly just into jerseys.
          You can click on the photos to see larger versions in a new window.
          You can email me at info@johnsonsjerseys.net if interested.

Autographed Helmet $350 or best offer
          #9 - Kyle Okposo
          2006-08

Vintage Football Sideline Winter Parka $195 or best offer
          Steichens tagging in the neck from their University Ave address
          Had the name "Keith" on the front but it was later covered by a iron-on patch

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            I have another offering for those of Gopher Nation since I'm mainly just into jerseys.
            You can click on the photos to see larger versions in a new window.
            You can email me at info@johnsonsjerseys.net if interested.

Autographed Helmet $350 or best offer
            #9 - Kyle Okposo
            2006-08
            Nice try...but given his popularity plummeted when he ditched the Gophers midseason, you might be hardpressed to unload the KO helmet for even $150.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              Nice try...but given his popularity plummeted when he ditched the Gophers midseason, you might be hardpressed to unload the KO helmet for even $150.
              He was a horse. Was his second year the first year of coach Lucia's illness?

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                Not the first item I've seen him post at an outrageous price.

Comment

The top priority is to get the Gophers that wake up call. Maybe it comes on its own. It also may come from a disasterous holiday stretch. By February, we'll have a pretty good idea about the team's chances.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Posting this here in case you might have missed it. It's been reported that Brady Skjei did NOT make the final USA roster for the World Junior Championship.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...be-still-alive

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      THAT in my opinion is the key for the second half. And by "THAT" I mean a TOTAL TEAM EFFORT of EVERY period of EVERY game. If they do that, everything else will fall into place.
                      Well I don't set my expectations quite that high. I don't think you can find a Pro team that plays every minute of every game at that level, much less college kids. Seeing some games that they play a full 60 minutes, especially in games as important as the next three though shouldn't be out of the question. By the end of the season, I woud like to see them have reached the point that they are approaching a full 60 minutes per game. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. They just need to keep building it in every period.

Comment

Posting this here in case you might have missed it. It's been reported that Brady Skjei did NOT make the final USA roster for the World Junior Championship.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...be-still-alive
                        Too bad for Skjei. He did see to regress a little in the last couple series. He clearly shows he's got the obvious skills at times. I think he just needs to build confidence and have a little more time to adjust tot he speed. I'd be perrfectly happy with him sticking around a couple more years to hone those skills.

Comment

Well I don't set my expectations quite that high. I don't think you can find a Pro team that plays every minute of every game at that level, much less college kids. Seeing some games that they play a full 60 minutes, especially in games as important as the next three though shouldn't be out of the question. By the end of the season, I woud like to see them have reached the point that they are approaching a full 60 minutes per game. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. They just need to keep building it in every period.
                          No question the pros don't put forth a total effort in every game of the regular season, but then again they (normally) play twice as many games as the college players do. I don't think it's asking too much of our guys to try their hardest whenever they're out there. Their college careers go by quickly, so why not give it your all while it lasts? Many of our guys say it was always their dream to someday be a Gopher, and I just feel that taking a period or a game off here and there is not a good way to "live your dream".

But I do fully realize that even if they do give 100% they are still going to lose some games, for any number of reasons. That's hockey sometimes. And I also realize that the team may not get as naturally pumped up for as others - say a North Dakota compared to an Alaska Anchorage - but that's not a good excuse to lose to a team that you should beat but for a lack of total effort.

I go back a long ways with the program, and Gopher hockey has a strong tradition of outworking their opponents, game in and game out. Oftentimes against a weaker opponent the Gophers would outscore them badly and outshoot them by 30-40 shots, but they kept the pressure on and kept skating hard even when they built up a good lead. When they've deviated from this approach is for the most part when they've had disappointing seasons. They get ahead by a couple and take their foot off the accelerator and let the other team back in it. For the second half I'm hoping that this team does not go down that path, that's all I'm saying. Beat the teams that you should, and make sure they don't beat you because they outworked you.

Comment

Too bad for Skjei. He did see to regress a little in the last couple series. He clearly shows he's got the obvious skills at times. I think he just needs to build confidence and have a little more time to adjust tot he speed. I'd be perrfectly happy with him sticking around a couple more years to hone those skills.
                            My observations exactly. You feel bad for him, but at the same time it will be very good to have him in our lineup for some very important upcoming games.

Comment

No question the pros don't put forth a total effort in every game of the regular season, but then again they (normally) play twice as many games as the college players do. I don't think it's asking too much of our guys to try their hardest whenever they're out there. Their college careers go by quickly, so why not give it your all while it lasts? Many of our guys say it was always their dream to someday be a Gopher, and I just feel that taking a period or a game off here and there is not a good way to "live your dream".

But I do fully realize that even if they do give 100% they are still going to lose some games, for any number of reasons. That's hockey sometimes. And I also realize that the team may not get as naturally pumped up for as others - say a North Dakota compared to an Alaska Anchorage - but that's not a good excuse to lose to a team that you should beat but for a lack of total effort.

I go back a long ways with the program, and Gopher hockey has a strong tradition of outworking their opponents, game in and game out. Oftentimes against a weaker opponent the Gophers would outscore them badly and outshoot them by 30-40 shots, but they kept the pressure on and kept skating hard even when they built up a good lead. When they've deviated from this approach is for the most part when they've had disappointing seasons. They get ahead by a couple and take their foot off the accelerator and let the other team back in it. For the second half I'm hoping that this team does not go down that path, that's all I'm saying. Beat the teams that you should, and make sure they don't beat you because they outworked you.
                              Well there is a difference between not showing up for a period and not giving 100%. 100% is every player trying to win every single battle. There are plenty of times in a game with every team where the intensity wains some and a team might "bend" a little when the other team turns it on, and they play a little more defensive. That is natural. Taking some shifts off completely shouldn't happen. ( Although it seems like some Gophs have done that at times.) No team can play 100% for an entire season or even half of one. They are working towards playing games like that by the end of the year. I don't think we are far off from what we are saying. But unless you have a team full of Adrian Peterson's, you aren't going to see a half season ef every player playing at maximum intensity for every second he is on the ice. (And if we didn't have such a long break, we wouldn't be discussing such minor nuances.)

Comment

Well there is a difference between not showing up for a period and not giving 100%. 100% is every player trying to win every single battle.
                                I don't understand why every player shouldn't try to win every battle. I know they're not going to win every one, but there is no reason not to try to win every one.

There are plenty of times in a game with every team where the intensity wains some and a team might "bend" a little when the other team turns it on, and they play a little more defensive. That is natural.
                                I understand the natural ebb and flow from a team standpoint, but the best teams are quick to respond and do not let the opponent have the momentum for long. I agree that when facing a strong opponent there will be times when they have to "bend" a little, but the best teams don't bend for long, because they keep their intensity at a very high level and win way more than their share of the individual battles.

Taking some shifts off completely shouldn't happen. ( Although it seems like some Gophs have done that at times.)
                                This is where "leadership by example" comes into play. Since the opening weekend, we've yet to see the Gophers maintain their intensity for all of both games in a series.

No team can play 100% for an entire season or even half of one. They are working towards playing games like that by the end of the year.
                                I'll give you that one, Koho. I'm probably asking too much, just frustrated some because I know (or at least I think I know) what this team is capable of. If they "are working" towards that and the results begin to show, I'll be happy!

I don't think we are far off from what we are saying. But unless you have a team full of Adrian Peterson's, you aren't going to see a half season ef every player playing at maximum intensity for every second he is on the ice.
                                The man is something special, isn't he? He's the epidome of what hard work and unbelievable intensity will do, even for the most talented of athlete. What an example he sets for the rest of the team!

(And if we didn't have such a long break, we wouldn't be discussing such minor nuances.)
                                How true...can't wait to get back to Mariucci!

Comment

Working...
                                X