Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Do you think they'll have new jerseys available for sale at any point?
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

That article had false statements! the Dee had way more than three rows. At least 8 or nine. and no you couldn't see thu the cracks,

but yes it was cold in there. There were times during the sieve chant that people threw tea strainers on the ice.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Suck it, Bucky.

I'm planning to be at the games in Blaine tomorrow after work and possibly Friday after work.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          That article had false statements! the Dee had way more than three rows. At least 8 or nine. and no you couldn't see thu the cracks,

but yes it was cold in there. There were times during the sieve chant that people threw tea strainers on the ice.
          I'm sure that a Bucky fan who has probably visited the Dee once in his entire life - nearly 30 years ago - is going to have a photographic memory of every architectural detail of the building. Compared to Dane or the Kohl Center, I am sure it seemed like it was that small and rough in his mind's eye.

Comment

The annual InCH A-to-Z series profiled Dan Sova.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              The annual InCH A-to-Z series profiled Dan Sova.
              Oh, but he'll probably get bumped for Jimmy Davis because Davis is a smooth skater.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

I watched the last two seasons of MTU at the Dee and played mite thru bantam there. It was quite a barn with many unique and quirky features that harkened back to pre WWII days. It's hard to describe the ambience that place had without resorting to a little embellishment. I still play pickup games there once in while, and most of that historical ambience is sadly gone. I also recall the seive chant and the strainers on the ice. I had to ask my dad what a seive was and why they were throwing perfectly good kitchen utensils on the ice. The first time I went to the Dane County Coliseum in the mid-70s, I thought the Badger's hand-twirling version of the seive cheer was obnoxious and a bit over the top. Bucky certainly put their own style to it.
                Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                  I watched the last two seasons of MTU at the Dee and played mite thru bantam there. It was quite a barn with many unique and quirky features that harkened back to pre WWII days. It's hard to describe the ambience that place had without resorting to a little embellishment. I still play pickup games there once in while, and most of that historical ambience is sadly gone. I also recall the seive chant and the strainers on the ice. I had to ask my dad what a seive was and why they were throwing perfectly good kitchen utensils on the ice. The first time I went to the Dane County Coliseum in the mid-70s, I thought the Badger's hand-twirling version of the seive cheer was obnoxious and a bit over the top. Bucky certainly put their own style to it.
                  Its also the most intimidating sight I've ever seen in college hockey. I don't think anything quite compares to the electricity in the building when that place is packed and everyone is doing the hand twirling to the pep band's beat.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

FYI to the Techies out there, that may be interested: Fantasy College Hockey

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

I've only been to the Kohl a couple of times but if you ask me the Dee back in the 70's was far more intimidating to the other team. It was known by other teams as "the snake pit" for a good reason.
                      It was real loud in there. You could hardly hear yourself think. I've never been in any rink anywhere near as loud. Second it was a tiny rink surface, so Tech ran a very aggressive forecheck and got a lot of turnovers from it. Often there would be 5 -6 minutes where the other team could not get out of it's own end this often would result in louder and louder cheering.. Third, the "lets go Tech!" cheer. it was not the sing song version we have now, and which I personally hate, but much more in your face. typically it was chanted at full volume after the opponent scored, with particular emphasis on the TECH. it was almost an indian war chant.

Regarding the tea strainers, there was a letter to the editor printed in the lode in 1969 or 70, (not signed, but everyone thought it was from the coach), saying that the chant was not complimentary to our team, as it really said that we did not accomplish the goal by our own skill, but more by luck.. The cheer slowed down for a while after that, but then reappeared.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

I seem to have missed the season these were worn.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MTU-...item337c0171c7
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Thankfully it wasn't really one of ours. JFC that's awful.

Comment

Chris Dilks of Western College Hockey Blog posted yesterday a summary of Day 1 at the NAHL Showcase in Blaine. Just a small note about Jake Kauppila.

Michigan Tech recruit Jake Kauppila('95) was in the lineup for Coulee. He had a pretty quiet night. He's got some skill, but he's still young and there's probably going to be a bit of an adjustment period for him.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                              Chris Dilks of Western College Hockey Blog posted yesterday a summary of Day 1 at the NAHL Showcase in Blaine. Just a small note about Jake Kauppila.
                              I watched that game, and I was surprised how little ice time he got. When he was out there he looked quick and did show off some skill, he looked decent enough that I thought he deserved to be out there more. I'm guessing he's further down the depth chart because of his age. He did look like he needs to get stronger, but that shoud come with age.

I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of play in the game(s). I was expecting play similar to high school class AA, but it was more like watching 2 decent class A teams play. I walked away with the impression that any given year 'Tonka, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Edina, Duluth East, etc. could roll these teams.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of play in the game(s).
                                September hockey.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X