Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Thanks for the update Shirtless, it looks like we went 0-3 on NCAA decisions this off-season.

It looks like Tech missed the ball on single game pricing for the video service. They should be targeting away team fans that are willing to pay to watch their team on the road. $12 seems too high, I don't get why you just wouldn't copy B2 Networks that NMU uses for something like $7 for a single game.

I see on Facebook the Michigan Tech Hockey page is asking fans to post questions for coaches/players and they will answer them later this week.

Anyone else get the auto-renewal notice for Huskies Live, and the Huskies Live link doesn't work. Hopefully they don't automitically charge my card like they automatically sent out an email for a site/service that doesn't exist anymore!

We hope you are enjoying your subscription to Huskies Live. Your annual subscription is set to expire in 30 days. To keep all of the exciting action at your finger tips we have made it easy to renew. If you wish to continue your subscription, it will be renewed automatically at the same price of $59.95 for another year. If you do not wish to continue your subscription please follow the instructions below to cancel your subscription.

We value you as a customer and look forward to serving you in the future. Click here to view the updated Terms and Conditions.

To cancel your subscription:

Visit Huskies Live and log in.
    Click the "Manage Packages" button on the right side of the profile page, if you do not see the "Manage Packages" button click the "My Profile" link at the top of the page.
    Click the "cancel" link for the subscription you would like to cancel.
    Click the "Cancel Package" button.

Thank you for using Huskies Live!
    Huskies Live Fan Support

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Kent McPherson - NCAA appeal for MJ time was ruled poorly (would have had to sit out 2 years and 10 games so not attending MTU)
      Jeebus that's ********; I don't blame him. For a ruling like that, he must've been paid some amount?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Jeebus that's ********; I don't blame him. For a ruling like that, he must've been paid some amount?
        He apparently signed a contract and they thoroughly punished him for that...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Kent McPherson - NCAA appeal for MJ time was ruled poorly (would have had to sit out 2 years and 10 games so not attending MTU)
          That seems pretty extreme for playing 9 major junior games in 2009. I thought it was customary to sit out a full season of NCAA for every season played in CHA.
          Two years and 10 games seems out of keeping with past decisions and almost punitive.
          Perhaps NCAA is trying to make a statement that if you play any CHA games, don't bother trying to play US college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
            That seems pretty extreme for playing 9 major junior games in 2009. I thought it was customary to sit out a full season of NCAA for every season played in CHA.
            Two years and 10 games seems out of keeping with past decisions and almost punitive.
            Perhaps NCAA is trying to make a statement that if you play any CHA games, don't bother trying to play US college hockey.
            Apparently he signed a contract and took money, normally players that are allowed to sit out one year like Desmet did not sign a contract or take money from an MJ team...different circumstances...oh well.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It's obviously because of the contract/money. If he was simply trying out and happened to dress for a couple of games, he would've probably only lost a year or maybe no time at all. From the NCAA's prospective, I can understand why they would view that as two different scenarios.

What bugs me is the inconsistent application of punishment to the guys who don't sign anything. Rob Nolan dressed for the Lethbridge Hurricanes for a couple games and didn't lose any eligibility. Desmet played for the Calgary Hitmen for 7 games, and lost a year. Daniel Holmberg played a couple games in the SEL and lost no eligbility. A couple summers back, Steven Seigo got to practice with an Austrian League team that his dad worked for, with no consequences. I guess the difference is that Desmet saw ice time, while Nolan and Holmberg were stapled to the bench, and Seigo never dressed.

I just wish they would apply the rules consistently, but this is the NCAA we're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                It's obviously because of the contract/money. If he was simply trying out and happened to dress for a couple of games, he would've probably only lost a year or maybe no time at all. From the NCAA's prospective, I can understand why they would view that as two different scenarios.

What bugs me is the inconsistent application of punishment to the guys who don't sign anything. Rob Nolan dressed for the Lethbridge Hurricanes for a couple games and didn't lose any eligibility. Desmet played for the Calgary Hitmen for 7 games, and lost a year. Daniel Holmberg played a couple games in the SEL and lost no eligbility. A couple summers back, Steven Seigo got to practice with an Austrian League team that his dad worked for, with no consequences. I guess the difference is that Desmet saw ice time, while Nolan and Holmberg were stapled to the bench, and Seigo never dressed.

I just wish they would apply the rules consistently, but this is the NCAA we're talking about.
                I actually think they are pretty good about being consistent within the rules they've created. The difference is actually playing and actually taking any money. I'm sure a player like Seigo and Holmberg were more informed on what not to do to keep their NCAA eligibility, while Desmet and McPherson either ignored that info or weren't aware.

Comment

Can we please start posting line combinations?????
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Didn't Alex Gagne get hit by playing 1 MJ game and losing a year of eligibility? Or was his situation different?
                    2005-2006: 7-25-6
                    2006-2007: 18-17-5
                    2007-2008: 14-20-5
                    2008-2009: 6-25-7
                    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Can we please start posting line combinations?????
                      good call, the roster's up! I tried, but I don't even know who the best centers are on this team. I have one suggestion: Move Holmberg to Defense and get him some ice time. I think there would still be about 7 guys trying out for the fourth line barring injuries. (knock wood)
                      (blow dust off mini hockey guys)
                      (sharpen chicken knives)
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                        Didn't Alex Gagne get hit by playing 1 MJ game and losing a year of eligibility? Or was his situation different?
                        Alex Gagne was awesome. Very smart guy. He helped me out in vibes class a few times.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          good call, the roster's up! I tried, but I don't even know who the best centers are on this team. I have one suggestion: Move Holmberg to Defense and get him some ice time. I think there would still be about 7 guys trying out for the fourth line barring injuries. (knock wood)
                          (blow dust off mini hockey guys)
                          (sharpen chicken knives)
                          Alright! I'm on it! Now where is Boosh to critique our decisions?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, on the Michigan Tech Athletics hockey homepage, there's an article about Copley, they spelled his name Phoenix. So either they effed up, or someone effed up a while ago, and spelled it wrong when it was posted that Tech signed him.

edit: Its spelled Pheonix on the roster page.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It would be much easier if they said on the website who is a center. I went back to last years stats to see who took faceoffs. Yeah, that's not the end-all, be-all, but its all I could think of at the time. And my wings might be messed up, I'm not sure who will play on which wing.

D. Johnstone - B. Pietila - Gordic
                              Furne - J. Johnstone - Khaira
                              Gould - Kero - Petan
                              Lickteig - Rix - C. Pietila

Regular Reserves: A. Pietila, Eick, Holmberg
                              Probably won't see much ice time: Hietala, Anderson

Seigo - Sweeney
                              Sova - Stebner
                              Nielson - Fillion
                              Regular Reserves: Hyland, Brown
                              Probably won't see much ice time: Davis

Goalies:
                              Any of the 3 could emerge, with the early favorite being Genoe, simply because he's a senior.

Waiting for Boosh...

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                or someone effed up a while ago
                                His parents?
                                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Working...
                                X