Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    The Gophers published their TV schedulel today and FSN is making the trip to Houghton. The last time UMN was in Houghton, maybe 2 seasons ago, they skipped it.

On Monday Tech posted a video that will be a series called In the Crease, Mel answers some questions. It doesn't give me much hope for quality video this season for the games! I would think this would be the easy part, purchase an affordable HD flip camera, interview Mel and post the quality recording on the Athletics website, maybe my standards are too high, but the video seems dark/blurry, looks poorly done.
    Yeah, the lighting was crap, too bright on Mel's face.

And it figures... when I make the trip home the game will be on TV... grrrrr.
    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2012-13 Preseason Thread: Draft picks, video feeds, and Mel, oh my

It looks to me like they're doing these interviews in the locker room, and they're either trying to create a dramatic look (and failing miserably), or they don't want us to see very much of it. Simply turning on the lights in there would improve the video quality a bit.

Comment

it was a bit odd. it didn't even look like Mel.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

My attempt at notes from the Mel Pearson show on Monday, plenty of typos in there I'm sure.

Mel Pearson show summary from Monday 9/17: October 1st is the official 1st Mel Pearson show of the season

Can be on ice with team 2 hours a week.
          Great event with Blueline club on Sunday, encourage anyone out there to join and get involved with them.

Cautionsly optimistic, another tough schedule. We're not going to sneak up on anyone this year. Opposing teams wont look past us, it'll bring the best out of us as well.

What has Mel and assistants been doing:
          Sept. very busy with recruiting, junior leagues have started, BCHL and NAHL have started regular season.
          Couple weeks ago Mel was gone, Billy and Damon were just recently gone for 5 days. Muckalt has been gone most of September.
          A lot of kids are making college commitments, it's going very well
          We're expecting a few verbals in next few weeks.

On Freshmen:
          We're excited, they'll add excitement and energy, we like this class
          They're good student athletes, all doing well in school so far, good solid people
          They're all clean cut, very serious about hockey, it's a good thing
          We have a blend of speed, size and skill
          We have 2 athletic/talented goaltenders
          Returning guys will lead this team, freshmen will follow at first

Dirk - Do all freshmen have a shot as day in day out players?
          Yes, everyone brings somethign to the team, we have good competition in every area.

On Reddick - tried to get a 5th year, just starting to come into his own, unfortunately NCAA denied, Mel doesn't get it, UMD has a player going into 6th year, Mel looked at his case
          It took a long time to get an answer from NCAA tough on Bryce blowing in the wind all summer, they had to keep submitting evidence and on Aug 29 got denied.

Tommy Brown - Dirk saw him in captains practice as a Forward, coaches haven't been on ice with him, Mel's not sure if he's been takign shifts up there, they're out there doing their own thing, we've discussed it with him late in the year, we have 9 Dman, if we need a guy to play Forward, he would be one
          Someone might have to play forward and he'd be a candidate

Oct 7 game against Canada school - good solid team it will be a good game for us

LSSU - Game on Thursday at LSSU and back home Saturday, important to get them on schedule, we had a chance to get another home gome and worked it out with LSSU, it'll be Hall of fame game

Jujhar Khaira - he's on campus, for fans/coaches good to see him on campus, until you start school you never know who will make it to campus, major juniors apply a lot of pressure, they were trying
          Good family that values education, he's happy he's here

Ever get a sense if a freshmen is handling the school work well? Mostly yes, sometimes a kid is quiet and if they're struggling you don't know. Get a feel for that now that coaches can be on the ice and talk to them. Some players haven't been in school for a few years, like Petan. It's an adjustment.

Steve Shields joined the show:
          We're in good shape, 3 guys that believe that they can be starting. Not sure on their weaknesses yet, have a lot of time before decisions on playign time are made. Copley and Phillips have a great ability to compete, both highly recruited and willing to come in and become teammates and compete for time. They're both big goalies.
          Are these three goaltenders going into season all even? Yes, it's wide open, Kevin has experience, played well with his opportunities. Mel has some say in who starts, but listens to Steve.

Shields has been credited with Robinson's strong performance last year. Do you see Genoe getting the same confidence? Credit to Josh, he was prepared to come in and have a good senior season, expecting the same thing from Kevin. Kevin's biggest challenge is his ability to be consistent.

Any differences in coaching for Steve? Learned a lot about coaching last year. Have had experiences good/bad over last 20 years with goalie coaches, tries to be a coach that adapts to the student. Genoe an opposite style to what Jamie/Pheonix play, wants to manage his time and think about how all three play.

Has Steve enjoyed his time in Copper Country? - Steve wouldn't have considered coming back if he didn't enjoy it, a big part of why he did come back (about a month ago) is because he wanted to enjoy some of the summer and not just be here for hockey. Really like it up here, the fishing/snowmobiling etc. Road trips are long, but overall good.

Did Shields feel he'd get so into the games as much as he did? Dirk thinks he gets emotional in press box. Cares about how these kids do, it's about seeing the team win. He might not do everythign the right way (sitting stoic in the press box) but that's not who he is.

After Steve left, Mel wants to emphasize how important Steve Shields is for this team. He's almost like the goalies father, he's into it.

Intrasquad game October 7 at Collesium in Calumet, it'll be in the afternoon. There will be the scrimmage and then autographs afterwards and skate with the huskies. Picnic/grilling etc, Athletics department will issue info soon.

Blake Pietila still in running to make the team. Mel thinks he has a great shot to make it. Need a bit of everything on a team like that, and Blake can play a role on that team. He can play anyway you want, PP, PK, checking line etc.
          Blake muscles his way to get the puck on net, even if Dman taking away space. He's strong and stubborn, he'll try to beat you one on one. Good shot and release, Mel would like to see him shoot it quicker and use his speed more.

How much does Mel carryover Dman pairing like Seigo/Sweeney. Do they go into camp as partners? Yes and no, it's in your pocket, you know what they can do but you want to look at other pairings. Will move things around a bit early in the year to see how they do.

Uniforms: Dirk saw the socks, loves them. Can't wait until the jerseys get here. We hope we get them here before the 1st game. Wanted some of the past/history on the jerseys.

Overall on the schedule: happy for the most part, it is what it is. Good hoem game early vs. LSSU, the '62 team will be honored. Get your tickets, it'll be a neat event. The follow week are Gophers, Mel thinks they'll be unanimous #1. We had a few sparks last year in Minneapolis, will be fantastic, may be a tailagate before Saturday game.

What can Mel tell us about scheduling for first few yeras of new WCHA? Been working hard to get quality opponents, can say until contracts are signed. A couple Big Ten schools that have not been here for a long time, hopefully. Very excited. We will try to go to some areas downstate that we haven't been to other than GLI as well.

Mel wants to say Thank all fans for last year, he knows things are off to a good start. Exciting team, good pace of play, and a lot of good teams coming in here. Come out and support the kids, they like a packed house.

Comment

great job on the notes.
            Does anyone know if the video interviews are going to be made available for free like last year or if they will be only for those signed up for the streaming.?

Second question, now that the ice has been in for a bit, how does it compare to last years ice. Is there more snow is it harder? etc.
            thanks in advance.
            third question- have they done the Mt Ripley run yet?

This could be quite a season.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              third question- have they done the Mt Ripley run yet?
              More than they would like to, judging from the Twitter comments.
              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 09-18-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

This admission was too good not to post :

*****http://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/nmu%20admits%20it_zpsf660ceb9.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  This admission was too good not to post :

*****http://i6.***********.com/albums/y227/association330/nmu%20admits%20it_zpsf660ceb9.jpg******
                  That's a proud moment for my high school.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by fadetoblack&gold View Post
                    this admission was too good not to post :

lol
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Here is a teaser for my lastest add to the collection.
                      No more teasing, here it is. Josh Robinson 2008-09, 2009-10 and 2010-11.
                      I really wanted the one with the lift bridge on it, but my guess is Josh has it.
                      This one somehow made it to the East Coast, only a year after it was last used.
                      I don't know how it got there, but I've learned not to ask questions, just say thank-you.
                      You can click on the image to view a larger version in a new window.
                      Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by bose301s View Post
                        I think the owners are being more greedy than the players but when someone is *****ing about getting paid $5 million a year vs. $6 million I would call that greedy as well, seriously, you're getting paid to play a game while the fans who watch you have real jobs making 1/100th what you do, you should be happy with getting paid $1 million a year.
                        For every superstar player "arguing" over $5 Mil instead of $6 mil, there are a dozen Chris Conner types who are earning league minimum or just over that ALSO have to take a pay cut.

Take close to the league minimum, 600k per year. Take 40% off for taxes. (Reminder, hockey players must pay taxes in each city/state they play in for every game)

Leaves you 350K

Deduct health insurance, league membership fees (union dues), apartment, utilities, car, food, gas, everything we scrimp and save for earning just 50K a year.

And to top it off, they have just a decade at best to earn and save what they can where we work up to 40 years.

This isn't about the Lidstroms, Crosbys, and Ovechkins, this lockout affects the Conners, Wilsons, Oystricks, and Santorellis of hockey.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Tyler Heinonen - Muskegon (USHL)
                          Chris Leibringer - Muskegon (USHL)
                          Joel L'Esperance - Tri-City (USHL)
                          Michael Neville - Cedar Rapids (USHL)
                          Joe Schuldt - Sioux Falls (USHL)
                          Dylan Steman - Cedar Rapids (USHL)

USHL Fall Classic kicks off a couple hours from now. Excited to see how all of the recruits perform!

Looks like Muskegon, Cedar Rapids and Souix Falls have played some exhibition games.

Steman has a good start; goal and assist in 3 games

Leibinger has an assist so far in 2 games

http://www.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1244

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            And to top it off, they have just a decade at best to earn and save what they can where we work up to 40 years..
                            John Scott with his mechanical engineering degree and many other Michigan Tech alumni will be fine.
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              For every superstar player "arguing" over $5 Mil instead of $6 mil, there are a dozen Chris Conner types who are earning league minimum or just over that ALSO have to take a pay cut.

Take close to the league minimum, 600k per year. Take 40% off for taxes. (Reminder, hockey players must pay taxes in each city/state they play in for every game)

Leaves you 350K

Deduct health insurance, league membership fees (union dues), apartment, utilities, car, food, gas, everything we scrimp and save for earning just 50K a year.

And to top it off, they have just a decade at best to earn and save what they can where we work up to 40 years.

This isn't about the Lidstroms, Crosbys, and Ovechkins, this lockout affects the Conners, Wilsons, Oystricks, and Santorellis of hockey.
                              has there been any discussion of the league minimum actually taking a reduction or are we just talking about a teams salary cap rolling back a certain percent. I can't image that the minimum could really drop, is on par compared to other sports for the top league. I can't see that number taking a rollback.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If it isn't a direct rollback, I thought the league wanted more to be held in "escrow" than the players currently have held. Which, is kinda the same thing since they won't get that money til later.

And, there is that whole argument over hockey related revenue which is tied to the salary cap (and thus price fixing player salaries).

Oh, I did forget to add in the NHL escrow and some players have agent fees tied to their pay too. So lop another 10 to 15 percent off in addition to taxes. So right out of the gate a player could be missing half his paycheck before he starts deducting day-to-day needs.

And seriously, it's an ME degree, but how usefull will it be when he hasn't practiced anything related to it since he graduated? Plus he would still need to take the EIT.
                                Last edited by aparch; 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X