Alaska @ BG, Nov. 13 & 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska @ BG, Nov. 13 & 14

I watched the whole thing on tv, and am still mystified. "Out of sync" is definitely an appropriate description of the team's play. The question is, why?

Prior to the game, some people suggested that the Nanooks might have trouble adjusting to the smaller ice and the travel schedule. Well, the guys frequently practice at the Patty Center, so it doesn't seem reasonable to blame ice size. Travel, I guess, is murkier. Who knows how the trip went. (Maybe their hotel rooms all had broken air-conditioners, scratchy blankets and dripping sinks!)

There wasn't any major shuffling of the forward lines since last week, so we can't really point to that. The defensive pairings have always been somewhat fluid.

Stupid penalties and bad luck obviously played a role. But basically, the guys just seemed unable to function as a unit. I'm hoping it's a simple case of having an "off" night. I'd hate to think that the players got over-confident about facing last-place Bowling Green. But if they did, tonight's outcome should ensure that that doesn't happen again.

Well, I'll end with something positive . . . Even though Ron Meyers took a disastrous penalty, he made some pretty amazing plays, too. Love his speed.

Comment

It would look alot better with a Ben Blood appearence.

Comment

Congrats to BGSU they looked good. Nooks had an off night; it happens and will happen again this season. I didn't like this game going into it. First time on the road, small ice, lofty ranking, plying a team with no wins..........................seemed like a recipe for a loss. As soon as I walked into my buddies place to watch the game on his GIANT 50 inch LCD, We looked at each other and said we didn’t like the circumstances! Other ranked teams lost as well. We just need to re-group, and show up to play like we usually do. I'm sure Coach will have the boys ready to rock tonight. I watched the game, and what I saw, was a hot goalie, and A TON of missed chances. As well as BGSU played, if we had buried a couple of those point blank chances, we steal the game. BGSU deserved the win, but we had chances to steal it. We took stupid penalties, and turned the puck over all night. How many off sides did we have? I counted 4 straight at one point. The puck was like a super ball bouncing all over the place. I’m confident that we will play better today.
        All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Well it was another inconsistent effort, but we came out with enough fire to get the job done. Big 1st period for the guys. With our tough 2nd-half schedule stocking up points is critical in this early part of the season, which made last night's loss that much worse. Hopefully we'll see a more consistent squad vs. Lake State next week.

To the BGSU folks, job well done this weekend (last night especially). Getting in the W column is always a big monkey off your back; best of luck the rest of the way!
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

The weekend was quite a bit better than I expected. Score three goals two games in a row? Against a tough defense? And things didn't unravel. I knew the Falcons would improve through the season, but I didn't expect so much progress so quickly.

BTW, I love the Nanooks' jerseys, especially the ones with nanooks on the front.
            Go Falcons!

Comment

I think the ice in my backyard looked better than the ice @ BG.

Comment

These two week roadtrips must be a killer for coaches, when you factor in guys getting sick and injured on Friday it's not like you can call home and have someone flown down for the Saturday game. For their first extended road trip I thougth they did okay, could of played better but that ice is really small and the boards are terrible, glad to escape with points.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they get to bring an extra player on the two-week road trips just in case of sickness or injury.

I was hoping the Nooks would win 3 of 4 on this road trip, which is still possible, but I was thinking it would be a sweep at BGSU and a split at Lake State.

Comment

Well I guess that means we sweep Lake State.

Comment

Working...
                    X