Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    No student radio, and the only person that's done it on a regular basis in this town is me.

GFM
    And no desire on the part of the department to see it covered, a mindset that transcends administrations.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Nope, haven't in quite some time. The last broadcast I did was 2010 when we played Miami in the NCAAs; the one before that was 2007 against Notre Dame for the same reason. In the former, I called my PBP guy the name of the PBP guy I always worked with (and worked with in 2007). That was embarrassing. Sorry again, Steve.
      And, in reality, there is no greater insult than this.

Mike Anderson

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
        And, in reality, there is no greater insult than this.
        Are you saying that in general, or are you saying that I'm discounting Sugar Steve by calling him by your name?

GFM <-- still feels bad about it, but calls Steve "Mike" when he sees him as a joke.
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Are you saying that in general, or are you saying that I'm discounting Sugar Steve by calling him by your name?

GFM <-- still feels bad about it, but calls Steve "Mike" when he sees him as a joke.
          I'm saying that there's only one person horrible enough to carry my name...and he's the head basketball coach at Arkansas! *zing*

Mike Anderson

Comment

Is this thread really about to fall on the dustbin?

Mike Anderson

Comment

It looks like there are two leagues trying to woo your team. Seems the AHA commish alluded to your inclusion in the league.

And, it seems that the CCHA may have one last gasp for breath (in the form of AHA West).

All rumors so far, but isn't that what has kept you guys going so far?
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                It looks like there are two leagues trying to woo your team. Seems the AHA commish alluded to your inclusion in the league.

And, it seems that the CCHA may have one last gasp for breath (in the form of AHA West).

All rumors so far, but isn't that what has kept you guys going so far?
                Sure they're interested, but our interest is in the nWCHA. I've always worried that the two leagues would end up in a "No, you take them!" cycle. It's nice to be semi-wanted, of course.

I've not talked with anyone in Spragins Hall about it lately, and that's mainly because I'm head-down with graduate school.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  My guess is that the nWCHA is trying to figure out what Bowling Green is going to do. I also suspect that Bowling Green is trying to figure out Bowling Green is going to do... The nWCHA will try to drag this out until BG decides if they are *really* in or already bolting eastward. If they bolt then nWCHA would no longer have the 'odd number of teams' problem they are trying to solve with UAH. As much as UAH makes a nicer fit with the nWCHA, the nWCHA would not want to bring on UAH to then lose BG. They end up with the same odd teams issue and the tri-fecta of awkward travel locales.

The frustrating thing is that UAH simply cannot manage to wait until all dance partners have been selected much longer. The lack of a conference with the accompanying conference schedule and stability continues to weaken the state of D1 hockey in Huntsville.

cpp

Comment

Funny how it went all [crickets chirping] after those Mike Anderson zingers...

Comment

Maybe we need to change the thread to: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing but this thread is flatlining

Comment

I don't know. Despite the supposed talk of us by the AHA, there's nothing really on the WCHA front as we wait for their meetings in January (groan).

Not much to talk about on the ice, either, I think. There's only so many times we can say about how they're playing hard (which they are) but lost again. And it doesn't help when we can't see them in person on a regular basis to find things to talk about.
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

UAH plays Northeastern this weekend at historic Matthews Arena. This is one of the classic barns in college hockey, used to host the Boston Bruins and Celtics. The student section is loud and hangs right over the opposition's net for periods 1 and 3. For any fans of UAH making the trip up, there is a great bar with cheap beer and great pub food called Conor Larkin's right near the arena. Be sure to notice the Bruins, Celtics and NU banners in the rink and also if you are an NBA fan, Reggie Lewis' number is retired. Jim Calhoun got his college coaching started at NU before going to UConn.
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Head on over to the Beaver Radio Network and catch this week's Sports in the Round (11/7/12). BSU AD Rick Goeb was a guest and there was discussion on the new WCHA, Atlantic Hockey, Bowling Green and UAH.

http://beaverradionetwork.com/wp/?page_id=873
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I've always worried that the two leagues would end up in a "No, you take them!" cycle.
                              So, exactly what happened when CHA dissolved. In other words, UAH is boned. Again.

Originally posted by ChargerPowerPlay View Post
                              Funny how it went all [crickets chirping] after those Mike Anderson zingers...
                              That'll teach me.

Mike Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                Head on over to the Beaver Radio Network and catch this week's Sports in the Round (11/7/12). BSU AD Rick Goeb was a guest and there was discussion on the new WCHA, Atlantic Hockey, Bowling Green and UAH.

http://beaverradionetwork.com/wp/?page_id=873
                                The overall hockey shakeup and nWCHA is discussed around minute 41. The visit to UAH comes up specifically at 50 minutes into the program. You can select the 7 Nov Sports in the Round program, do a right click and save the mp3 off if you don't want to listen to 40 minutes of Bemidji sports. Then use your favorite audio program to advance straight to the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X