Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by dondowski60 View Post
    Being in retail for 35 years, when someone "resigns" they usually do so to take another job, I didn't see another job mentioned. That being said, Coach Luongo told me he would find away to get me to the first game, if I could go. I am a season ticket holder! First game is approximately 4 weeks after total hip replacement, I suppose the new coach won't honor this and I noticed $1000 donations for the old Blue Line Club doesn't hold the same water as the "new" Charger Club does. Can someone tell me, if I'm wrong, but things do not look so wonderful, kind of wavering on my next donation........
    Let me know how I can help. 256-527-8152 [oh shut up, my phone number is terribly easy to find on the Internet].

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I will post my (mildly informed) speculation this week. I'm still making sure that what I think happened makes sense. I'm pretty sure that I'm right. I'm also sure that I may ruffle a few feathers, but ... ehhhhh, okay.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
        Or.....a DI league has privately signaled to UAH that they will be admitted next year and UAH is reacting by bringing in a top coach.
        After almost killing the program, it seems odd that they would bring in a top level coach as part of a do-to list that might get them into a league.
        I'd be surprised if there wasn't some more tangible assurances that prompted the action.
        Actually, when you have an opening, you try to get the best candidate possible. I wouldn't read anything into or even waste the time to speculate. One could just as easily speculate that Luongo isnt seeing much progress in conference talks, and wants to go somewhere that he knows he'll be in 2 or 3 years and is seeking other spots, Kleinendorst, after moving out of Bingo sees an opportunity to have team to coach for the next year or two and have an up close look at a lot of college players while he waits for the next call from the AHL. That scenario is every bit as plausible as any of the others presented, and likely about as accurate. Nothing more that speculation from an outside source with no inside info. The only one on this board who will come remotely close will be Geof.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

My only question to that. is why hire someone when you know they are only going to stay a year or two. It is terrible for the players to have to change coaches, philosophies and styles every other year, not to mention what kind of effect that has on recruiting. Somehow I don't think a lot of you care much about the players. At least it doesn't look that way to me!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            When your old coach departing and your new coach being hired is in the same press release, I'm guessing the previous coach knew he was on the way out. It would seem very cold of UAH to send someone packing with no notice after what the program has been through in the last 12 months. You don't find a coach overnight so this process has been underway for a while.
            Ryan J
            Considering Luongo sent out an email to Blue Line Club members about seeing them at the coaches luncheon and games next week about an hour before the press release came out, I don't think he had any idea he was on the way out.

College athletics is a tough business sometimes. Luongo inherited a mess that was turned into an even bigger mess by Portera last fall. He deserves better but fate can be cruel so many times. That aside, what a hire. Here's hoping he can get the players to buy in, get his assistants in place, woo the WCHA committee and get on the recruiting trail.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Actually, when you have an opening, you try to get the best candidate possible. I wouldn't read anything into or even waste the time to speculate. One could just as easily speculate that Luongo isnt seeing much progress in conference talks, and wants to go somewhere that he knows he'll be in 2 or 3 years and is seeking other spots, Kleinendorst, after moving out of Bingo sees an opportunity to have team to coach for the next year or two and have an up close look at a lot of college players while he waits for the next call from the AHL. That scenario is every bit as plausible as any of the others presented, and likely about as accurate. Nothing more that speculation from an outside source with no inside info. The only one on this board who will come remotely close will be Geof.
              I've decided that what I have to say on the subject needs to come after a conversation with Lou. I'm hoping to have beer with him and some of my alumni guys on Thursday night. If ever a man needed to be bought a beer, it is Christopher J. Luongo.

I'll probably run what I have to say past the captains, too. I do not want to blindside our players. They're understandably upset and I'm working to make sure that they know that I've got the best interests of the program at heart.

I was hoping to post something on Friday, but that may be optimistic.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerBlue View Post
                Considering Luongo sent out an email to Blue Line Club members about seeing them at the coaches luncheon and games next week about an hour before the press release came out, I don't think he had any idea he was on the way out.
                He sent me an email at 4:22. I got my first text from our old assistant SID at 5:50. I spent the next hour-and-a-half being glad for the fact that Managerial Grid theory was old hat to me because everyone was pinging me for info that I didn't have. Just crazy.

I talked with Lou at 2:54, before all the emails. I made plans to meet him in the office on Wednesday.

He didn't know. 12 days out from starting the season, and this happens. I have a lot of thoughts about this situation, many of them hopeful, but what still gets me more than 24 hours later is that a good friend lost his job yesterday. That sucks.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

I only knew Coach Luongo for several months, but he semed like a guy who was easy to talk to, but said what he thought on all subjects. I'll miss him, buy him a beer for me, Geoff! That being said, I hope the new coach is more than just a "yes man" to Brophy and the president of the school! I know when Luongo was a coach at Wayne State, he always had those boys ready to play us. They usually beat up on us good! I wish him the best where ever he goes.
                  I just hope this guy stays around longer than a year or two, but listening to his interview on the USCHO story, he is just here to scout college players until he can get back with an AHL team........

Comment

I just hope this guy stays around longer than a year or two, but listening to his interview on the USCHO story, he is just here to scout college players until he can get back with an AHL team........
                    What interview? In what I've seen there is nothing that would even remotely hint at that.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      I've decided that what I have to say on the subject needs to come after a conversation with Lou. I'm hoping to have beer with him and some of my alumni guys on Thursday night. If ever a man needed to be bought a beer, it is Christopher J. Luongo.

I'll probably run what I have to say past the captains, too. I do not want to blindside our players. They're understandably upset and I'm working to make sure that they know that I've got the best interests of the program at heart.

I was hoping to post something on Friday, but that may be optimistic.

GFM
                      It's an odd situation for sure. But better to take time and get it right, than to go about it in a rushed fashion and come up with incorrect or incomplete info. Hope all works out for UAH.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I was wrong, I guess I read something somewhere but it wasn't pertaining to the new coach. I'll just vsit back and see, but different people have different assessments on how the players are taking it. Your assessment was good others have not been. So, we'll just have to see.

Comment

I was wrong, I guess I read something somewhere but it wasn't pertaining to the new coach. I'll just vsit back and see, but different people have different assessments on how the players are taking it. Your assessment was good others have not been. So, we'll just have to see.
                          No problem, thought maybe I had missed an article/interview some place.

Comment

Chris Luongo is a good man - he's always been a class act, and I'm sorry to hear this happened to him. I wish him and UAH well in the future, but this is tough to hear just weeks before the season starts. Hope he lands on his feet soon.

Comment

... I hope the new coach is more than just a "yes man" to Brophy and the president of the school! ...
                              In general, you should either do what your supervisor desires or leave. A couple of exceptions to this include cases where dramatic changes in your organization are occurring and where your administration has sent mixed messages regarding who your supervisor really is. Needless to say, Luongo's situation with Brophy was difficult at best, placing with the president in a difficult situation where he's pretty much obliged to trust Brohpy first. It looks like the new coach will have the president's trust and has the insight and maturity needed to help the president decide if any further action is needed (hint).
                              Last edited by tnlong; 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Iuess it comes down to the good ole boy concept! Brophy and the president are good buddies and we know the new coach knew the president from New Jersey. This is what scares me, though, that they are all good friends what ever the president wants will be like Pharoah...."so let it be written so let it be done"! I hope this isn't the case and I hope they gave Luongo some kind of severance package to give him and his family a chance to find something new without going to the poor house!!!!! One other thing, where Brophy came from there was no hockey team, so I'm sure he didn't know squat about the sport and probably didn't care either. I hate to be down on these two people. Uh your first statement is a little off, you've been with the company 2 years you know what is wanted, but the big boss wants it one way and the second boss wants it the other way. So, you try to keep both happy, YOU DON'T LEAVE. I've been in retail for 35 years and that is not the way it is done!

Comment

Working...
                                X