UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Certainly interesting, so can we declare UAH has won the 2012 coaching change competition? Snuck out of left field...
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      What happen to Luongo?
      Resigned, according to the press release.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Do I have information? Yep. Do I have speculation? Yep. Do I know more than I should? Yep. Do I want to know more? Of course.

Am I saying **** on USCHO? Nope.

I hate to see Lou go. We have a new coach. We can love the former and follow the latter. I suggest that we make that happen.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

The story is also at
          http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ngo_out_as.php

Comment

Geoff,

Wow! Big Change!

Without breaking confidences and sharing too much..... would it be fair to say that by hiring someone of the new coach's crudentials, there is some relative comfort in the program's future viability and gaining acceptance into a conference?

I only met Coach Luongo once, but he seemed like a great person and a great hockey guy! Best of luck to him!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger #2 View Post
              Without breaking confidences and sharing too much..... would it be fair to say that by hiring someone of the new coach's crudentials, there is some relative comfort in the program's future viability and gaining acceptance into a conference?
              That's the message that it sends to me.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                That's the message that it sends to me.

GFM
                it says to me that UAH is trying to make a statement that they are invested and aren't going anywhere. It's similar to what Western Michigan did highering Murray and pressing for the NCHC.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Being in retail for 35 years, when someone "resigns" they usually do so to take another job, I didn't see another job mentioned. That being said, Coach Luongo told me he would find away to get me to the first game, if I could go. I am a season ticket holder! First game is approximately 4 weeks after total hip replacement, I suppose the new coach won't honor this and I noticed $1000 donations for the old Blue Line Club doesn't hold the same water as the "new" Charger Club does. Can someone tell me, if I'm wrong, but things do not look so wonderful, kind of wavering on my next donation........

Comment

The continued involvement of New Jersey Devils President/CEO/General Manager, Lou Lamoriello, is the most encouraging aspect to me.

“During my 30-plus year association with Kurt Kleinendorst, I have been fortunate to watch him develop as a student-athlete, player, scout and coach at various levels,” said New Jersey Devils President/CEO/General Manager Lou Lamoriello. “There is no question in my mind that Kurt will be a decided asset to the University of Alabama-Huntsville hockey team both on and off the ice, and help UAH in their pursuit of a major Division I hockey conference affiliation.”

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/...ackground.html

"Altenkirch came to know Lamoriello while serving as president at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark. Altenkirch was appointed chair of a nonprofit corporation created by the City of Newark to manage the finances in building a new arena for Lamoriello's hockey team."

I'd be nice if we could get a little more help from Nashville and Tampa Bay. Here's a story I missed seeing last year from Nashville.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=608176

Comment

When your old coach departing and your new coach being hired is in the same press release, I'm guessing the previous coach knew he was on the way out. It would seem very cold of UAH to send someone packing with no notice after what the program has been through in the last 12 months. You don't find a coach overnight so this process has been underway for a while.

I think this is great for UAH and speak VOLUMES about their desire to remain a D-I team. This type of talent behind the bench does not come cheap and clearly UAH has opened up the wallet and gone "all-in" for D-I hockey in the South, even without a conference home. Good for UAH to stick with it. I now wonder if this announcement is timed to coordinate with the WCHA visit next month. I'm starting to get the feeling like the WCHA gave UAH a "to-do" list and the next time we get together we want to see some things checked off the list.

Show financial committment to future of the program via coaching staff... Check.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        When your old coach departing and your new coach being hired is in the same press release, I'm guessing the previous coach knew he was on the way out. It would seem very cold of UAH to send someone packing with no notice after what the program has been through in the last 12 months. You don't find a coach overnight so this process has been underway for a while.

I think this is great for UAH and speak VOLUMES about their desire to remain a D-I team. This type of talent behind the bench does not come cheap and clearly UAH has opened up the wallet and gone "all-in" for D-I hockey in the South, even without a conference home. Good for UAH to stick with it. I now wonder if this announcement is timed to coordinate with the WCHA visit next month. I'm starting to get the feeling like the WCHA gave UAH a "to-do" list and the next time we get together we want to see some things checked off the list.

Show financial committment to future of the program via coaching staff... Check.

Ryan J
                        There is also the possibility that Coach Luongo has something else lined up and agreed to stay until a new coach could be found. Also, I highly doubt that changing coaches was on some sort of WCHA check list.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

But, it could have been on a Lou Lamoriello "advice" list.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Also, I highly doubt that changing coaches was on some sort of WCHA check list.
                            No, changing coaches per se wouldn't be on such a list, but can be pretty sure that the UAH administration's support of/committment to the program is (it was on the CCHAs). One of the better ways they can show that is by bringing a "name" coach, which I think they've done.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                              No, changing coaches per se wouldn't be on such a list, but can be pretty sure that the UAH administration's support of/committment to the program is (it was on the CCHAs). One of the better ways they can show that is by bringing a "name" coach, which I think they've done.
                              Whatever the case, Kleinendorst is a good selection!
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan J
                                Or.....a DI league has privately signaled to UAH that they will be admitted next year and UAH is reacting by bringing in a top coach.
                                After almost killing the program, it seems odd that they would bring in a top level coach as part of a do-to list that might get them into a league.
                                I'd be surprised if there wasn't some more tangible assurances that prompted the action.

Comment

Working...
                                X