UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Since we're killing another month and two days: the new hotness around here is the Mount Rushmore of your program. I may have mentioned it in the old thread, but it's a fun game to play: who are the four Chargers that define the program?

I have to take Jared Ross, Scott Munroe, and Cam Talbot in order from the D-I days; I can't really think of anyone from the current era that comes close to those guys, and those scorers who do benefitted from Jared being their center (Bushey, Funk, Zirnis). Dropping back to the older days, I think you have to go Mario Mazzuca, who is still the school's scoring leader (or was the last time I looked at him v. Roscoe; I have had a few drinks since then, and all the good stats work that Jamie Gilliam and Michael Napier did is lost to the wind with the new UAHChargers.com).

I'm waiting for someone to tell me that you can't have two goalies. I'm also waiting for someone to tell me that you take Talbot over Munroe, at which point I will smack you with a trout, even if 'bot's backing up Henrik Lundqvist in 13-14 (not unreasonable).

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Since we're killing another month and two days: the new hotness around here is the Mount Rushmore of your program. I may have mentioned it in the old thread, but it's a fun game to play: who are the four Chargers that define the program?

I have to take Jared Ross, Scott Munroe, and Cam Talbot in order from the D-I days; I can't really think of anyone from the current era that comes close to those guys, and those scorers who do benefitted from Jared being their center (Bushey, Funk, Zirnis). Dropping back to the older days, I think you have to go Mario Mazzuca, who is still the school's scoring leader (or was the last time I looked at him v. Roscoe; I have had a few drinks since then, and all the good stats work that Jamie Gilliam and Michael Napier did is lost to the wind with the new UAHChargers.com).

I'm waiting for someone to tell me that you can't have two goalies. I'm also waiting for someone to tell me that you take Talbot over Munroe, at which point I will smack you with a trout, even if 'bot's backing up Henrik Lundqvist in 13-14 (not unreasonable).

GFM
      Mazzuca's still the all-time leading goal scorer with 95 goals (and the single-season holder with 35). You could make the case for Tony Guzzo, who was the center on Mazzuca's line (his career 118 assists and 179 points are both school records).

But if I were to add a star from the D-II days -- and at the risk of having three goalies -- it'd be Derek Puppa. He became the face of those mid-'90s teams (his mug was on billboards around town). I wish I had more to go on statistically besides his school record 65 wins (because I'm no fan of win-loss records for individuals in team sports), but it's hard when, as you said, the current record book isn't online.

There are some records on the UAH hockey Wikipedia page. They haven't been updated in three years, although I'd say if there were any updates, they certainly wouldn't be on offense.
      Michael Napier - UAH '97
      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
        There are some records on the UAH hockey Wikipedia page. They haven't been updated in three years, although I'd say if there were any updates, they certainly wouldn't be on offense.
        :sad trombone: None of the records you had on there would've been touched by Talbot's junior year, even if he was wicked unbelievable down the stretch.

I need to see if Taylor still has all the old files. If he does, we should gussy them up for uahhockey.com.

Anyone want to donate $1000 so we can put uahhockey.com on a dasher board?

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Separate post: had a meeting with the usual regulars [Douglas and his wife, Ragland, Butler, Bowen, coaches, me] tonight, talking about the Blue Line Club and season tickets. STs are $100ea / 80ea (student) reserved for the ten home games in 2012-13. Blue Line Club breakdowns are unchanged, although we're working on a UAH Student and Kids Club pricing structure. We need to build the BLC long-term, and this is our way to do that. We've talked about it in the past, but it's going to happen now.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

That decision would have to be made above the hockey level. The only idea that I see is an exception for teams more than X miles from more than one other program in any sport, which would let lacrosse grow in the South, for example. That would imply that the NCAA cares about growing regional sports, which I rather doubt that it does.

Also, I'm not convinced that it would bring teams to Huntsville. The closest analog that we have is UAA and UA when they were independent programs in the 1990s, but then there were more independents in those days (Army and Air Force, with some overlap with Notre Dame) and more games overall being played. I don't think that it's a very good analog to the current games played / OOC available / two independent world. GFM
            Thanks for your response Geof - I think with the right situation that UAH could again be a successful hockey program and I would much rather see it thrive than go by the way side.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Found a good article about the upcoming season on a website I usually check out for Bentley coverage. It goes into some detail about UAH. It also mentions directly the ACHA conference they might be geographically suited for in D3 ACHA.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...of-discontent/
              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                Found a good article about the upcoming season on a website I usually check out for Bentley coverage. It goes into some detail about UAH. It also mentions directly the ACHA conference they might be geographically suited for in D3 ACHA.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...of-discontent/
                That writer, like many others, seems to like to ignore the fact that anyone with anything to do with the SEC ACHA conference are on record saying there is no place for UAH, nor will there be. People who are trying to somehow justify in their own mind that it's ok for UAH to drop from DI because they have this convienent SEC club conference to fall back on are only fooling themselves. IMHO, if UAH has to drop DI hockey, there will be no hockey at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                  That writer, like many others, seems to like to ignore the fact that anyone with anything to do with the SEC ACHA conference are on record saying there is no place for UAH, nor will there be. People who are trying to somehow justify in their own mind that it's ok for UAH to drop from DI because they have this convienent SEC club conference to fall back on are only fooling themselves. IMHO, if UAH has to drop DI hockey, there will be no hockey at all.
                  I agree quite strongly. I would not attend club games. I would not give money to a club program. I would delete everything on Facebook. I know, because I was ready to do this back after last October happened.

And then last December happened.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                    Has the NCAA and college hockey looked into giving team that travel to UAH an extra two games like with the two Alaska Schools?
                    I'm not sure if that would be plausible, but I do think that adjusting the 48 hour rule would be very beneficial. Base allowable departure time upon mileage, say 48 hours + one more hour for every 50 miles over 500. So for Northern Michigan to bus to Huntsville, instead of being allowed at 8 pm ET Wednesday for a 7 PM CT Friday game, they could leave at 11 am ET on Wednesday and get a good solid day of travel in.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 09-20-2012, 12:20 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I agree quite strongly. I would not attend club games. I would not give money to a club program. I would delete everything on Facebook. I know, because I was ready to do this back after last October happened.

And then last December happened.

GFM
                      We do not intend to attend the 10/6 & 10/7 games against UA. Attendance might be used as a revenue test to see if UAH can make money playing club hockey against local opponents. Nothing good can come out of it for UAH. Blue-White games would be much more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                        We do not intend to attend the 10/6 & 10/7 games against UA. Attendance might be used as a revenue test to see if UAH can make money playing club hockey against local opponents. Nothing good can come out of it for UAH. Blue-White games would be much more useful.
                        I strongly hope that you'll reconsider, Terry. We get a much better value out of the gate receipts this year, and any attendance at any game helps to sell us to the WCHA or Atlantic Hockey. It's very, very clear from last fall that club hockey is a non-starter at UAH: we will either stay varsity or drop the sport entirely.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Oh, we've already paid for the tickets as part of our season tickets. We'll probably give them to some friends to use as general admission tickets for the Mankato series.

T

Comment

Another trip to Wisconsin is reportedly on the 2013-14 schedule (assuming there will be one):
                            http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...a4bcf887a.html
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

New head coach

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...t_river_sports

Comment

What happen to Luongo?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X