Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    Huh? I don't get how the AHA schedule is insular, nor do I think that would prevent UAH from getting "road guarantee games". If anything would prevent games it would be travel costs to and from AHA to almost anywhere else.
    Are y'all not still playing 28 league games?

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Are y'all not still playing 28 league games?

GFM
      27. But there's only one league playing less (the ECAC), and several playing more (WCHA and CCHA).

So while, yes, the schedule is insular, so is everybody else's.
      UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

I really hope this program survives and the WCHA accepts UAH as their tenth team. It will be interesting to see how playing 'Bama will prepare the team before facing Mankato the following weekend.

Not a hater, but I wouldn't be surprised if D3 Adrian takes one (or both) of their games scheduled against UAH this season.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          27. But there's only one league playing less (the ECAC), and several playing more (WCHA and CCHA).

So while, yes, the schedule is insular, so is everybody else's.
          I guess I'm used to the 20-game CHA and the independent world where we play all the games people will schedule!

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
            I really hope this program survives and the WCHA accepts UAH as their tenth team. It will be interesting to see how playing 'Bama will prepare the team before facing Mankato the following weekend.
            Not the ideal team to play, but I suppose it's better than having no games going into Mankato series.

Not a hater, but I wouldn't be surprised if D3 Adrian takes one (or both) of their games scheduled against UAH this season.
            Not likely. Not taking anything away from Adrian who did well last year but they lost so much from that team (bulk of whom started with the program as freshman). There were several UAH players who were considering Adrian had the program not been saved who would have made significant impact.

Comment

I guess I'm used to the 20-game CHA and the independent world where we play all the games people will schedule!

GFM
              Well, in theory, there's good news on the horizon starting next year, as the conference load for most leagues will be dropping precipitously; I can't imagine the Big Whatever playing more than 20 league games, I know Hockey East will be playing 20 and 22 games when Notre Dame and UConn join, respectively, and the NCHC seems to be aiming for a 24 game schedule.

That should, if my calculations are correct (and assumptions about future behaviors of the WCHA and AHA hold firm), increase the number of available non-conference dates by the 2014-15 season by more than 100.

It won't help make teams more willing to travel to Alabama on its own, but it should make the opportunity cost a little lower to do so.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Well, in theory, there's good news on the horizon starting next year, as the conference load for most leagues will be dropping precipitously; I can't imagine the Big Whatever playing more than 20 league games, I know Hockey East will be playing 20 and 22 games when Notre Dame and UConn join, respectively, and the NCHC seems to be aiming for a 24 game schedule.

That should, if my calculations are correct (and assumptions about future behaviors of the WCHA and AHA hold firm), increase the number of available non-conference dates by the 2014-15 season by more than 100.

It won't help make teams more willing to travel to Alabama on its own, but it should make the opportunity cost a little lower to do so.
                The WCHA has already announced that they will continue with their 28 game schedule.
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

We had a decent home slate this year (I won't say who) before Portera hit the program over the head with a 2x4. Mankato was the only team able to return to our home schedule.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

That should, if my calculations are correct (and assumptions about future
                    behaviors of the WCHA and AHA hold firm), increase the number of available non-conference dates by the 2014-15 season by more than 100.

The challenge for an Independent is getting dates after Christmas when teams are locked into conference schedules....on the bright side the WCHA assuming they don't add UAH will have 9 teams...so one should be available every weekend. If they don't want to take a bye week UAH may be the only option.

Regarding playing the Alabama club team...I think it's great as it will demonstrate the clear difference between club and D1 hockey.

Comment

Glad to read about some possible movement for your team. Keeping my fingers crossed up here for you. It's starting to be crunch time. The new wcha will only be better through inclusion of Huntsville. I have a good feeling that after the initial growing pangs of reorganization all will be better for the new system.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                        The challenge for an Independent is getting dates after Christmas when teams are locked into conference schedules....on the bright side the WCHA assuming they don't add UAH will have 9 teams...so one should be available every weekend. If they don't want to take a bye week UAH may be the only option.
                        With the notable exception of Ferris State in 10-11 and Miami in 11-12, that's not mattered to CCHA schools. Can you blame them, really? Bring in UAH and your guys may overlook it and get edged by a hungry team; travel to Huntsville and you wear your guys out a bit when you could be at home with a bye weekend. While I would love those schools scheduling us, I don't necessarily fault anyone for taking that bye weekend during conference play.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

FYI, Andrew Creppin isn't back for this year. I understand that all eight recruits came.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

One month and five days until the longest game drought in UAH history ends. It's been a long, long time since mid-February...

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

With the notable exception of Ferris State in 10-11 and Miami in 11-12, that's not mattered to CCHA schools. Can you blame them, really? Bring in UAH and your guys may overlook it and get edged by a hungry team; travel to Huntsville and you wear your guys out a bit when you could be at home with a bye weekend. While I would love those schools scheduling us, I don't necessarily fault anyone for taking that bye weekend during conference play.

GFM
                              Has the NCAA and college hockey looked into giving team that travel to UAH an extra two games like with the two Alaska Schools?
                              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                              Eric's Twitter
                              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                                Has the NCAA and college hockey looked into giving team that travel to UAH an extra two games like with the two Alaska Schools?
                                That decision would have to be made above the hockey level. The only idea that I see is an exception for teams more than X miles from more than one other program in any sport, which would let lacrosse grow in the South, for example. That would imply that the NCAA cares about growing regional sports, which I rather doubt that it does.

Also, I'm not convinced that it would bring teams to Huntsville. The closest analog that we have is UAA and UA when they were independent programs in the 1990s, but then there were more independents in those days (Army and Air Force, with some overlap with Notre Dame) and more games overall being played. I don't think that it's a very good analog to the current games played / OOC available / two independent world.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X