X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gfmorris
    replied
    Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

This is fun. I wish that I were at home so I could just sit in Spragins Hall eight hours a day. I have access to WiFi on Student5. I'd just run a webcam.

I will say this: it's Bob Altenkirch's hire. If Bob wants to bump up the budget for any coach, much less George Gwozdecky, then he's going to do it and find the donors later. He did that with reinstating the program, he did that with hiring Kurt Kleinendorst, and he could very easily do that with this hire, whomever it is. If he's going to upgrade the training facilities — which needs doing — before having donor commitments to do so, then he'll do it. UAH hockey is going from a program that has been under-funded to one that is becoming well-funded. We're finally asking our donors to step up their giving, and I hope that they're doing so.

GFM <— BLC figurehead who hasn't seen the giving for this year.

Leave a comment:

• huskyfan
    replied

( jaw drop )

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Wouldn't that be ironic.
    That he might be back in the WCHA, or that they said Gwoz would be on the "short" list?

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    USCHO just posted an article saying Gwoz was on campus today, and while it is not known if he has interviewed, it appears he is on the short list of candidates.
    Wouldn't that be ironic.

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

While we're at it,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkS3Hjcz0Gw

One thought is that he could be hired in a one-year mode with the intent of grooming Gavin for another year.

Piling on,
    http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19693322
    "It's one of those losses that will stick around for quite a while," said DU coach George Gwozdecky, whose short-handed team blew a 2-0 lead.
    Last edited by tnlong; 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

Following-up GFM's comment,
    http://whnt.com/2013/06/19/national-...s-for-uah-job/
    Last edited by tnlong; 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Keep in mind, Gwoz is getting paid by DU for another year. He can sit on the sidelines, if he so chooses, and wait for the right opportunity. There will be more job openings next year.
    That's an interesting thought. KK was probably intended to be a one-year hire. He did his job by lending credibility to UAH getting into the WCHA. Getting Gwoz as a one-year hire might not be a bad idea if DU is supplementing most of his salary. His contract with DU probably guarantees an amount this year minus whatever other income he receives. It might be an interesting match, even if it is only for one year.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    Will anybody else give him that kind of money though? I think hiring him is what their program needs, a big name, with a great reputation to get the program back on the right path. UAH has had a lot of damage done(canceling the program, un-canceling the program, independent, multiple coaches, and so forth) and this will be a solid start to rebuilding.
    Keep in mind, Gwoz is getting paid by DU for another year. He can sit on the sidelines, if he so chooses, and wait for the right opportunity. There will be more job openings next year.

Leave a comment:

• thebrain
    replied

Will UAH spend the big bucks to get him? My best guess is a base of $300k plus incentives, camps up to an additional $200k. He was clearing north of $400k at DU with everything. Pretty much money was the issue as to why DU made the change. My guess is road trips would also have to become flights and not bus trips and the overall budget would need to be increased significantly. Don't know anything about UAH's facilities but he had some of the best at DU especially for weight and off-ice training. If UAH is truly serious about raising the program to be a truly national D1 competitor, then he is your man.
    Will anybody else give him that kind of money though? I think hiring him is what their program needs, a big name, with a great reputation to get the program back on the right path. UAH has had a lot of damage done(canceling the program, un-canceling the program, independent, multiple coaches, and so forth) and this will be a solid start to rebuilding.

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
    Honestly.. if Gwoz is interested, why bother with other candidates? As much as I hate the dasher dancer, he's a ****ed good coach and should be the number one choice.
    Will UAH spend the big bucks to get him? My best guess is a base of $300k plus incentives, camps up to an additional $200k. He was clearing north of $400k at DU with everything. Pretty much money was the issue as to why DU made the change. My guess is road trips would also have to become flights and not bus trips and the overall budget would need to be increased significantly. Don't know anything about UAH's facilities but he had some of the best at DU especially for weight and off-ice training.
    My biggest concern would be whether Gwozdecky would stick around for a while. This hire will be our fourth coach in seven years, so we need some stability at the coaching position. If UAH somehow did hire him, it wouldn't do much good if he starts looking at the first Big Ten or NCHC job that becomes available. If UAH is willing to put up the resources, and if Gwozdecky is willing to put in the time long term, then wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied
    Will UAH spend the big bucks to get him? My best guess is a base of $300k plus incentives, camps up to an additional $200k. He was clearing north of $400k at DU with everything. Pretty much money was the issue as to why DU made the change. My guess is road trips would also have to become flights and not bus trips and the overall budget would need to be increased significantly. Don't know anything about UAH's facilities but he had some of the best at DU especially for weight and off-ice training. If UAH is truly serious about raising the program to be a truly national D1 competitor, then he is your man.
    Last edited by du78; 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stuckinwi
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    They're basing the report largely based on WHNT's coverage. I'd love to know who tipped Edward Egros off about that one. It wasn't me, I swear.

I haven't heard anything about who else might have applied, though, past names that have either been discussed or are obvious.

GFM
    Honestly.. if Gwoz is interested, why bother with other candidates? As much as I hate the dasher dancer, he's a ****ed good coach and should be the number one choice.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    USCHO just posted an article saying Gwoz was on campus today, and while it is not known if he has interviewed, it appears he is on the short list of candidates.
    They're basing the report largely based on WHNT's coverage. I'd love to know who tipped Edward Egros off about that one. It wasn't me, I swear.

I haven't heard anything about who else might have applied, though, past names that have either been discussed or are obvious.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Yeah, Mark and I traded emails about that when I emailed him about one of the candidates. I enjoy talking about all things Huntsville with him.

GFM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X