• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seawolf Fan
    replied
    Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    From what I gather, Corbett is a DU alum and long-time Air Force assistant hungry to be a head coach. Coming from Air Force and Frank Serratore's tutelage, I expect you'd see a very driven guy who believes in team discipline, and scoffs at the term "players' coach".
    Not sure what you mean by "scoffs at the term"players Coach"?
    Personally know two guys that played for him and they say he's definatly a "players coach".
    They won with him in juniors and say he's the best thing since sliced bread.
    They love him and loved playing for him. They say all the guys felt that way.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Where did you get the info that Poapst has applied at UAH? Gwozdecky won 3 regular season, 4 playoff and 2 NCAA titles. He made 14 NCAA appearances and has a .595 career winning percentage. Poapst has a .522 win percentage and missed the playoffs 2 of 3 years as a head coach.
    Why bother responding to Hokydad, Dave? I don't think that anyone takes him seriously. It would be one thing for me to care if he was directly affiliated with our program, but he's not, so whatever.

GFM <— thinks Dave is nicer than he is when it comes to responding to people.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    Poapst is a better coach than Gwoz.
    Where did you get the info that Poapst has applied at UAH? Gwozdecky won 3 regular season, 4 playoff and 2 NCAA titles. He made 14 NCAA appearances and has a .595 career winning percentage. Poapst has a .522 win percentage and missed the playoffs 2 of 3 years as a head coach.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied
    Originally posted by altazo View Post
    Gwoz has D3 coaching roots...
    Poapst is a better coach than Gwoz.

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied

Gwoz has D3 coaching roots...

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Derek Schooley's done good work at RMU having trod the same path. A DU connection helps; one of our current ACs is Gavin Morgan (DU '99), and I'm sure that he bent Gwoz's ear pretty hard about coming to town. Of course, having an opening meant that Gwoz would at least take a look — look how many people we've had contact us.

GFM
    Gwoz wants B1G money , that's been evident since DU fired him. If a wealthy private business school doesn't want to pay what he demands, it's highly unlikely any college hockey school outside of the D1-A football schools would pay him Lucia money.

If you've even entertained Gwoz, you guys will be fine. It says everything about your administrators being serious, and making a good choice, as opposed to UAA farting around for two months, with D3 coaches on the finalists' list. When Tech was looking for a new coach, I knew they were serious when they wined and dined Blais for even more money, after Pearson was in doubt.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    From what I gather, Corbett is a DU alum and long-time Air Force assistant hungry to be a head coach. Coming from Air Force and Frank Serratore's tutelage, I expect you'd see a very driven guy who believes in team discipline, and scoffs at the term "players' coach".
    Derek Schooley's done good work at RMU having trod the same path. A DU connection helps; one of our current ACs is Gavin Morgan (DU '99), and I'm sure that he bent Gwoz's ear pretty hard about coming to town. Of course, having an opening meant that Gwoz would at least take a look — look how many people we've had contact us.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Okay, I am out of the loop because I'm doing an internship in DC instead of sitting in the coffee shop I frequent at home reading up about college hockey four hours a day. Who is this Corbett guy?

GFM <— edging ever closer to going on the record about our HC opening.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Okay, I am out of the loop because I'm doing an internship in DC instead of sitting in the coffee shop I frequent at home reading up about college hockey four hours a day. Who is this Corbett guy?

GFM <— edging ever closer to going on the record about our HC opening.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Has Poapst applied for the UAH position? Has he indicated a desire to be a college head coach? No doubt he would be a good candidate, but if his goal is to work in the NHL, he's a lot closer to it working in the Blackhawks system than he would be in Huntsville.
    He applied. Feels he is a better developer of talent and likes the D1 stability. Type of guy who knows how to build a program and would have ushl kids coming. NHL teams would send players there to develop
    Alum and supporters should be pushing school on this one

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    Steve poapst name in hat now

Colgate captain and graduate
    Echl player and one of only 2 inducted into their development hall of fame
    ahl player and inducted into Portland pirates hall of fame
    NHL player and served as captain for blackhawks
    Ushl gm and coach of year
    Dahl coach past 4 seasons and regarded as one of the top d coaches in country
    Great leader and developer of talent. 2 of last 3 hobey baker winners. Many draft NHL picks. John Moore, oleksiak and many others
    Miller from Yale was his captain and several other hobdy winners
    Nick leddy etc
    Total class act. Great ushl connections and all over

School should go after hard
    Has Poapst applied for the UAH position? Has he indicated a desire to be a college head coach? No doubt he would be a good candidate, but if his goal is to work in the NHL, he's a lot closer to it working in the Blackhawks system than he would be in Huntsville.

Leave a comment:

• Hokydad
    replied
    Steve poapst name in hat now

Colgate captain and graduate
    Echl player and one of only 2 inducted into their development hall of fame
    ahl player and inducted into Portland pirates hall of fame
    NHL player and served as captain for blackhawks
    Ushl gm and coach of year
    Dahl coach past 4 seasons and regarded as one of the top d coaches in country
    Great leader and developer of talent. 2 of last 3 hobey baker winners. Many draft NHL picks. John Moore, oleksiak and many others
    Miller from Yale was his captain and several other hobdy winners
    Nick leddy etc
    Total class act. Great ushl connections and all over

School should go after hard

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    If I had to guess between the two, I'm guessing Eaves. I'm not sure MSU is ready to give up on an alum quite yet.
    Kinda hard to give up on a coach who made the NCAA in his first year. He's got at least 2 more years.

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied

If I had to guess between the two, I'm guessing Eaves. I'm not sure MSU is ready to give up on an alum quite yet.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Gwozdecky's not coming:
    http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...9bb2963f4.html

Well that de-escalated quickly...
    He wants $$$$$$$$$$$Texas, obviously. Not just for his salary, but also program funding.

I mean, if a name program like Maine can't come up with Gwoz's money... *shrug*

My bet is that he replaces either Eaves or Anastos next summer.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 06-21-2013, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X