X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• du78
    replied
    Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Congrats to Mike, he should bring success to the program.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Worked out well for him, not getting the UAA job. I see the situation up in Anchorage as being a bigger mess than in Huntsville, even with all of the trials and tribulations that Huntsville has had in the last several seasons.
    Solid hire for UAH. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
    Worked out well for him, not getting the UAA job. I see the situation up in Anchorage as being a bigger mess than in Huntsville, even with all of the trials and tribulations that Huntsville has had in the last several seasons.

Leave a comment:

• UAHStatman
    replied

It's Mike Corbett:
    http://www.uahchargers.com/news/2013...708135216.aspx

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Dave, where have you heard that Derek Schooley has interest in the UAH position? Did I miss it here? If he got the job, I'd be very glad that our relationship has improved greatly over the years.

GFM <— happy with the other names he's hearing that haven't been mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• XYZ
    replied

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    I would put my money on seaturtle on this one. Just sayin'.....
    Seaturtle is correct.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Have a safe and happy 4th Charger fans! Can't wait to get there this season! Looking forward to seeing so many old friends in the state I still consider my second home!
    I walked all over SW DC yesterday. It was hot. I'm tired and sunburned, but it was something that I dared not miss.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Have a safe and happy 4th Charger fans! Can't wait to get there this season! Looking forward to seeing so many old friends in the state I still consider my second home!

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    He has. I have that both from Dr. Altenkirch and Lance himself. I've published all that I think is necessary from Bob's email on the linked post.

GFM <— has said all he's going to say on the subject until a new coach is hired.
    Of the applicants I've seen confirmed, he's as good as anyone.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Has Lance applied? He's a good guy and has been working for a coach I have a tremendous amount of respect for, both professionally and personally. They've done some outstanding recruiting to get guys like Taranto, Beck, Morely, Kunyk & Keeney to come up there for sure.
    He has. I have that both from Dr. Altenkirch and Lance himself. I've published all that I think is necessary from Bob's email on the linked post.

GFM <— has said all he's going to say on the subject until a new coach is hired.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by tnlong View Post
    Lance is a GREAT assistant coach. He and Gavin would make an unbeatable pair of assistants. They both have the needed enthusiasm and work ethic. The head coach position requires a skill set that neither may have quite yet. What do you do about "continuity" if whoever is chosen has a 20% win percentage in their third year here? What if that's Lance?
    After 11 years as a D-1 Assistant and at 41 years of age, how much more seasoning does he need to develop his skill set? As far as wins and losses go, it will take time. Playing a full D-1 schedule this year, it wouldn't be a shock to see a total similar to last year. They are probably 2 years away from making the playoffs and likely 4-5 away from hoping for home ice if all goes well. This won't happen overnight. Whomever get selected needs a minimum five year deal like Thomas got at UAA. Take a look at the records of Chris Bergeron at BG and Mel Pearson at Tech. On the surface, neither shows anything to write home about. But both have their programs in a much better position than when they took over. MTU should be a favorite for a top 4 finish in the league, and if BG's young goaltenders have success, they could be in the mix for a home bid as well. Patience and commitment are critical.

Leave a comment:

• tnlong
    replied

Lance is a GREAT assistant coach. He and Gavin would make an unbeatable pair of assistants. They both have the needed enthusiasm and work ethic. The head coach position requires a skill set that neither may have quite yet. What do you do about "continuity" if whoever is chosen has a 20% win percentage in their third year here? What if that's Lance?

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Dr. Altenkirch replied when I emailed him this. [Quickly, and in his clear writing style. I really admire the guy. He even responded to my follow-up that didn't require one.] I get the sense that Lance won't be the guy but that he and the powers that be — as well as the candidates — know that we really need continuity.

GFM
    Has Lance applied? He's a good guy and has been working for a coach I have a tremendous amount of respect for, both professionally and personally. They've done some outstanding recruiting to get guys like Taranto, Beck, Morely, Kunyk & Keeney to come up there for sure.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Dr. Altenkirch replied when I emailed him this. [Quickly, and in his clear writing style. I really admire the guy. He even responded to my follow-up that didn't require one.] I get the sense that Lance won't be the guy but that he and the powers that be — as well as the candidates — know that we really need continuity.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• GetOutDaKitchin
    replied

Great editorial from the UAH hockey crew. Lance West is my favorite to be the next head coach. Hope we hear something soon.

I was wondering if anyone had any player/recruiting related news. Here's what I believe the roster to look like including recruits:

Forwards (16)
    Vanderlugt
    Webley
    Allan
    Reid
    Prince
    Pierce
    Brears
    Geoffrion
    Kendra
    Salhany
    Clowes
    Broberg
    Marooney
    McKenna
    Fletcher
    Carlson (could be forward or defenseman)

Defensemen (8)
    Strukoff
    Koshey
    Misuraca
    White
    Reinhardt
    Hickey
    Hagen
    Schools

Goalies (3)
    Gruehl
    LaRose
    Groh

That being said, will someone with some knowledge about our team give me a rundown on our realistic chances this year? I like the numbers we've brought in. Will create a lot of competition. No one really stands out in the recruiting class, but I think Salhany and LaRose have the potential to really make some noise. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X