Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Announced: UConn to Hockey East

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
    Speaking as a bandie-turned-season ticket holder (who's thus never missed a Rentschler game):

1) The sightlines are pretty good from anywhere in the stadium. I have tickets in section 209 in this map (basically over the visitor's tunnel), and I have a near-perfect view of everything. I've watched games from every corner, including in the blue chairbacks, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. The stadium's still pretty new, so amenities are more or less up to date.
    2) The concourse is, depending on your POV, either perfectly designed, or stupidly designed, for watching the game while not at your seat. The semi-urban legend around this is that one of the stadium designers stated he hated the idea of having to miss the action while standing in line for concessions, or try and watch it on an in-stadium TV. Accordingly, there's a solid 8 feet of difference between the upper and lower bowls (concourse is at ground level). If the weather isn't ideal, though, expect those concourse areas to be jammed full. On rainy days, you have the "empty seat, full concourse" anomaly in full effect.
    3) In-stadium beer prices range from an arm to a leg. If you don't mind blowing 10 bucks on a Sam Adams or similar level of brew, there's a pretty good selection around the stadium, but...$10 a cup. In-stadium concessions are more reasonably priced than the beer, but they're still concession stand food. This leads me to (4).
    4) The tailgating scene is quite good (or, at least MOST visiting fans will cop to, Boston College excepted*). There's no amenities near the stadium to speak of (in contrast to what you would expect at UMass, where the Amherst downtown is a short walk through campus from the stadium; it's not even on campus, but in a confluence of residential, commercial and industrial space in suburban Hartford), so the best advice is show up 3-4 hours before the game starts (gates only open 4 hours before game time), grill some meat and drink some beers.
    4a) No charcoal grills allowed. Only propane and propane accessories.
    4b) Be prepared for a decent walk. Some visiting fans swear by various off-field lots (which are typically a few bucks cheaper, albeit a longer walk to and from the stadium; Syracuse likes the Aero Club), but in all likelihood, you'll have to park in the red lots for game day, and depending on when you show, it can be a haul. Not as bad as it used to be when you used to park and tailgate only on the old runways, but my crew and I used to do something called the "two beer walk" from the Red lots. The reason it's "used to" is because we're one beer away from the stadium now.
    5) Although it's not on campus, its accessibility can't be beat, as it's simple to get to the major Hartford highways (84, 91, Rt 2). That being said...get into the stadium early if you can. It's a Thursday night game, and you'll want to avoid having to deal with commuter traffic if at all possible, not to mention the crush of people who couldn't get off work but are still going to the game.
    6) As you might expect from a late August game, it can still be quite hot. Sunscreen is a must if you're at all likely to burn, and the silver benches don't exactly dissipate heat or sunlight well either. I can also say...it hasn't failed to be sunny and cloudless in (essentially) ten years of home openers (even last year after the tropical storm).

*I expect one or more of them to stop by in short order and tell you to expect to have beer thrown at you and sworn at by drunken louts, as if that's what every UConn fan will do to you, based on the sum total of one game in 2003 (year included just in case the timing of such incidences wasn't at all clear), so I'm going to beat them to it. Except I don't agree that there'll be any incidences, much less that it will be inevitable.
    Originally posted by Jim View Post
    I second everything that Dobbs says. I've been to a few stadiums around the country and the sight lines at Rentschler are as good as you'll find. The tailgating, while not SEC level, is very good, too. We've parked in the red lot most of the time, and the walk is no worse than what I experienced other places. Certainly no worse than walking from say the Law School lot to Alumni Stadium at BC, if you've ever done that. It is a fun experience, and you'll definitely get the big time football feel.

Is it possible that you'll run into a couple of drunken louts? Sure. 99% of the people are fans and are perfectly respectful. Many will even offer you a beer or whatever they are grilling. The other 1% are likely to be A. College kids; B.Under age; C. drunk. Same as at any event like this. Why we even ran into that at of all places BC. I know they don't admit to having drunken louts, but walking past the townhouses with my 9 year old back in 2004, a drunk lad decided it would be fun to throw a beer at 9 year old girl because she was wearing a UConn hat. Alas he was too drunk to throw it accurately and hit the 3rd member of our group, a BC alumnus...I think the BC Alumni fund saw a reduction in donations that year...
    Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
    You will be right near the Blue Point Beer stand very near the scoreboard. Bring your ID no matter how old you look, try the Toasted Lager on tap, only one to a customer, unfortunately. The sausage, onions, and peppers right next to them are great.

I like to park at the Aircraft Club, entrance on the north side of Silver Lane just east of the junction of the I-84 off ramp and Silver Lane. The vibe there is a bit more mellow and the rules a bit more relaxed with real rest room facilities. Quick exit too. May park in the Blue lot this year though as it will be free. I upgraded, but went down to two tix from four. Btw, Silver Lane got its name in the Revolutionary War when Rochambeau's troops marched through on the way to NY and paid for all supplies in silver.

I have never seen the type of behavior that went on when BC was in the BE. Mostly it's just fans of opposing teams being critical of their own teams and commiserating, even when things are going well.

Dobbs, how come you know you are in 209? They are reseating this year and tix are not out yet.
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna share it on the UMass board.
    #NewMass

Comment

Less than four weeks to go before we kick off a new U-rivalry. Let's do this: bragging rights will be determined by the aggregate score of the football game and the hockey game. Seven points in football will equate to one hockey goal. Fractional points will count. Losers from the previous year buy a round for the winners the next time the two football teams meet. Does that sound equitable?

Who's in?

Bring it on, Minutemen!! We are waiting for you!!

Comment

Less than four weeks to go before we kick off a new U-rivalry. Let's do this: bragging rights will be determined by the aggregate score of the football game and the hockey game. Seven points in football will equate to one hockey goal. Fractional points will count. Losers from the previous year buy a round for the winners the next time the two football teams meet. Does that sound equitable?

Who's in?

Bring it on, Minutemen!! We are waiting for you!!
        I am in.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I thought this was a hockey thread, not a rugby site.
          Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
          Speaking as a bandie-turned-season ticket holder (who's thus never missed a Rentschler game):

1) The sightlines are pretty good from anywhere in the stadium. I have tickets in section 209 in this map (basically over the visitor's tunnel), and I have a near-perfect view of everything. I've watched games from every corner, including in the blue chairbacks, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. The stadium's still pretty new, so amenities are more or less up to date.
          2) The concourse is, depending on your POV, either perfectly designed, or stupidly designed, for watching the game while not at your seat. The semi-urban legend around this is that one of the stadium designers stated he hated the idea of having to miss the action while standing in line for concessions, or try and watch it on an in-stadium TV. Accordingly, there's a solid 8 feet of difference between the upper and lower bowls (concourse is at ground level). If the weather isn't ideal, though, expect those concourse areas to be jammed full. On rainy days, you have the "empty seat, full concourse" anomaly in full effect.
          3) In-stadium beer prices range from an arm to a leg. If you don't mind blowing 10 bucks on a Sam Adams or similar level of brew, there's a pretty good selection around the stadium, but...$10 a cup. In-stadium concessions are more reasonably priced than the beer, but they're still concession stand food. This leads me to (4).
          4) The tailgating scene is quite good (or, at least MOST visiting fans will cop to, Boston College excepted*). There's no amenities near the stadium to speak of (in contrast to what you would expect at UMass, where the Amherst downtown is a short walk through campus from the stadium; it's not even on campus, but in a confluence of residential, commercial and industrial space in suburban Hartford), so the best advice is show up 3-4 hours before the game starts (gates only open 4 hours before game time), grill some meat and drink some beers.
          4a) No charcoal grills allowed. Only propane and propane accessories.
          4b) Be prepared for a decent walk. Some visiting fans swear by various off-field lots (which are typically a few bucks cheaper, albeit a longer walk to and from the stadium; Syracuse likes the Aero Club), but in all likelihood, you'll have to park in the red lots for game day, and depending on when you show, it can be a haul. Not as bad as it used to be when you used to park and tailgate only on the old runways, but my crew and I used to do something called the "two beer walk" from the Red lots. The reason it's "used to" is because we're one beer away from the stadium now.
          5) Although it's not on campus, its accessibility can't be beat, as it's simple to get to the major Hartford highways (84, 91, Rt 2). That being said...get into the stadium early if you can. It's a Thursday night game, and you'll want to avoid having to deal with commuter traffic if at all possible, not to mention the crush of people who couldn't get off work but are still going to the game.
          6) As you might expect from a late August game, it can still be quite hot. Sunscreen is a must if you're at all likely to burn, and the silver benches don't exactly dissipate heat or sunlight well either. I can also say...it hasn't failed to be sunny and cloudless in (essentially) ten years of home openers (even last year after the tropical storm).

*I expect one or more of them to stop by in short order and tell you to expect to have beer thrown at you and sworn at by drunken louts, as if that's what every UConn fan will do to you, based on the sum total of one game in 2003 (year included just in case the timing of such incidences wasn't at all clear), so I'm going to beat them to it. Except I don't agree that there'll be any incidences, much less that it will be inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by bgtrpi View Post
            At Ripple Pipple Institute they don't know the difference between football and rugby They once had a five year losing streak as I recall. In football that is.

Seriously, the game is eight days away. No other takers from UMass?? Time to step up and represent your school, folks. Seven football points equals one hockey goal. Rules below.

Comment

A question was asked, I answered it.

Thread drift happens, man.
              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Seriously, the game is eight days away. No other takers from UMass?? Time to step up and represent your school, folks. Seven football points equals one hockey goal. Rules below.
                I'll be there, with jjmc. There aren't many UMass fans on this board to begin with, and most of us just lurk. UConn fans, thanks for the advice about the stadium. Never been to Rent, looking forward to seeing it in person.

For the record, I don't like the addition of Notre Dame to HE but adding UConn is a good move (even if means reduction in conference games). Hopefully we'll establish a nice rivalry with you in hockey and football (and, when Calhoon leaves or croaks, whichever comes first, in basketball as well).
                Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Current UCONN Players Harris and Ranallo invited to NHL developmental camps.
                  http://articles.courant.com/2012-08-...onn-head-coach
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    Current UCONN Players Harris and Ranallo invited to NHL developmental camps.
                    http://articles.courant.com/2012-08-...onn-head-coach
                    So I guess that the question is whether or not the current crop of freshmen this year will be good enough to produce a better finish in the AHA than last year. Especially with Schneider gone. At one time last year they were positioned to finish second if they could have taken care of business based on prior form. Instead they imploded at the end while playing the "easier" part of the schedule against eastern teams. A gritty performance was turned in during the tournament, but still the season was not what it could have been. This year is anyone's guess with many observers thinking the results won't be all that great. We shall see. I am hopeful nonetheless.

Comment

At Ripple Pipple Institute they don't know the difference between football and rugby They once had a five year losing streak as I recall. In football that is.

The game you're referring to is an adaptation of rugby and has no resemblance to football. I suppose you refer to football as soccer too.

Comment

The game you're referring to is an adaptation of rugby and has no resemblance to football. I suppose you refer to football as soccer too.
                        It's pretty silly to refer to football as soccer. Football and soccer have pretty much nothing in common, except the New England Football Team shares a stadium with the New England Soccer team. Oh. The Patriots play there too.
                        #NewMass

Comment

You guys in or out?? That's all I want to know.

Current FB line is 21 which means that all you UMass fans have to do is have your hockey team beat UConn by more than three if the football game goes according to form. Gotta think more people than just one in Amherst have some courage.

Comment

You guys in or out?? That's all I want to know.

Current FB line is 21 which means that all you UMass fans have to do is have your hockey team beat UConn by more than three if the football game goes according to form. Gotta think more people than just one in Amherst have some courage.
                            I do not like to bet, plain and simple. It seems like a very fair deal as UMass is upgrading in football and UConn is upgrading in hockey. However, it's just not my thing. I'd be more than happy to stop by your tailgate for a bit if that offer still stands.
                            #NewMass

Comment

Awww ... this isn't really betting. There is no allure of riches or the risk of major loss. This is just bragging rights cemented by deminimus earnest tribute. I absolutely do not gamble either.

Looks like tailgating for us is problematical for this game. Most are headed out on a long weekend or vacation the next day and will be frantically packing rather than hanging out. Happy to meet up under the scoreboard during warm-ups though. Look for the guy with the UConn hockey away sweater (navy) with the number 18 and Krygier on the back.

Comment

Looks like it is time for UMass to exact its revenge soon. Eight goals down is a heck of a hole to start from, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X