Announced: UConn to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Announced: UConn to Hockey East

If Uconn gets someone like Jim Calhoun to run the hockey program like Calhoun has run the basketball program, Uconn will compete for the Hockey East championship with in five years.

I hope they play all the Hockey East games in Hartford even after they upgade the on campus rink. The collage hockey fan base is in Hartford,New Haven and Fairfield counties, not Storrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt75 View Post
      I hope they play all the Hockey East games in Hartford even after they upgade the on campus rink. The collage hockey fan base is in Hartford,New Haven and Fairfield counties, not Storrs.
      College hockey is nothing without student support and the atmosphere the students create. And they will have *no* student support if UConn (a school of drunken idiots if there ever was one) makes their students take a bus to Hartford during prime party hours of Friday and Saturday nights.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        College hockey is nothing without student support and the atmosphere the students create. And they will have *no* student support if UConn (a school of drunken idiots if there ever was one) makes their students take a bus to Hartford during prime party hours of Friday and Saturday nights.
        Quite a broad brush there my friend, painting the entire student population like that. I am sure BC has it's share of drunks , they are just in the myriad of bars they can sneak into. They have actually done a good job of cracking down on the spring weekend mess. I am looking forward to another improved program in our State and hope to see some local kids on the team in the future. As far as the tourney between CT schools is concerned, it seems like a longshot.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
          Ask UML how bad UConn was without scholarships last year. Then project forward two years to when they will have 18. I would not scratch your head too hard. And besides, as the man said, this was not done for the short term.
          Ok, even with the long term. Ohio State has been in the CCHA (and has a helluva better name, tradition in sports than UConn) and they are barely a blip on the radar. UConn to Hockey East is a disaster (short and long term). They should have come to the ECAC where they could have had some sort of reasonable success.
          Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
            Ok, even with the long term. Ohio State has been in the CCHA (and has a helluva better name, tradition in sports than UConn) and they are barely a blip on the radar. UConn to Hockey East is a disaster (short and long term). They should have come to the ECAC where they could have had some sort of reasonable success.
            Sometimes it's not about "what will give the team the best shot for success?", it's about the institutions a team wants to be associated with.

Since you brought them up, Ohio State didn't leave the CCHA for the Big Ten because they think they'll be better at hockey as a result, but because the other Big Ten teams are teams which Ohio State is associated with both athletically and academically in other realms. Ohio State has more in common with, say, Minnesota or Wisconsin, than they do with Bowling Green or Miami. Ohio State hockey would have actually been better off, in terms of their long-term success, by not aligning with the Big Ten; the fact that they didn't suggests that "realistic chance of success" wasn't the only reason they made the move.

Consider UConn and Hockey East in the same light.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Ask UML how bad UConn was without scholarships last year. Then project forward two years to when they will have 18. I would not scratch your head too hard. And besides, as the man said, this was not done for the short term.
              I believe the answer from Lowell would be "thanks for the Holiday Classic trophy".
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Onion Man, never thought of the UConn comparison to Ohio State. I like it...makes sense to me. UConn is a premier program in college basketball, but they aren't in football and won't become one in football. I don't see it happening in hockey either.

Comment

Ohio State has made it to the Frozen4 and also to the NCAA field another 5 times losing in the first round in close games except one big loss to BU the year BU won it all. I'm not so sure that UConn could be expected to go that far. UNH has accomplished more than OSU by far and still has not won it all. UMass may be a better indicator with fewer NCAA bids but at least a win in round 1 and they have a quality on campus rink. Nobody is saying UConn will never make it to the NCAA's but to consistently make it and to go far in it is another story. The state of Connecticut is rather similar to Ohio when it comes to hockey and Miami has had recent success so there is a possibility of some success but continued success and great success are unlikely given the other powerhouses in states like Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Colorado and North Dakota.

Comment

Someone mentioned the easily stimulated animosity between BC and UConn fans. In hockey, that is just not the case. I know of no UConn hockey fan who does not hold BC in awe in men's hockey.
                    With ND and UConn entering HE someone needs to draw up a welcome flyer with need to know items.

Like :

A.) BC has animosity with everyone. Including UConn... everyone...

B.) You can hold BC's program in awe, just never ever ever admit to it.

C.) Never go to the bathroom with HokeyDad and if you see his candy van coming down the street run... run like you never have before

D.) Pay no attention to Nick Papagorgio, sooner or later you will curse his name, so just neg rep him now and get it over with. That way by the time you really want to do it you will have spread some rep around.

E.) BU is merely the rejects that couldn't get into BC (or at least according to BC fans)

F.) BC is not actually in Boston

G.) BU used to be in Vermont

H.) Vermont is a state (the one between New Hampshire and New York)

I.) Umile holds the patent for turtle necks

J.) Timmay !!!!!

K.) UMLGoon is gone... at least until UML has 38 seniors on it's roster again

L.) MC sells out almost every home game so expect a romping crowd of 250 when you visit.

M.) NU isn't so bad, especially now that you don't have to worry about Cronin beating up your players anymore.

N) BU loses at least one player a year because JaPa has a senior moment and tosses em
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Not bad JC. I'm surprised you got all the way through to N in the alphabet without making a mistake.
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Onion Man, never thought of the UConn comparison to Ohio State. I like it...makes sense to me. UConn is a premier program in college basketball, but they aren't in football and won't become one in football. I don't see it happening in hockey either.
                        Oh well, then. I guess we should reconsider...JD doesn't see UCoonn becoming a premier hockey program...why didn't you say something BEFORE the decision was made??? Then everyone would have had the benefit of your, um, well, not really your analysis...I guess it would be your feelings...

Comment

Pretty funny, jcarter7669! Any more roadmap stuff you think of in the next two years, please pass it along. We newbies will appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                            Oh well, then. I guess we should reconsider...JD doesn't see UCoonn becoming a premier hockey program...why didn't you say something BEFORE the decision was made??? Then everyone would have had the benefit of your, um, well, not really your analysis...I guess it would be your feelings...
                            Relax, Jimbo. No need to get your Husky panties in a bunch. Just gave my opinion on a message board. I didn't say UConn shouldn't proceed anyway. And you think I'm the only one who thinks UConn won't eventually become a premier college hockey program? Get real.

Comment

Pretty funny, jcarter7669! Any more roadmap stuff you think of in the next two years, please pass it along. We newbies will appreciate it.
                              O. Don't expect to find humans in the stands at Mullins, more like zombies.

P. Lowell thinks Hockey East is more fixed than the Pacquiao-Bradley fight.

Q. Northeastern has huge rivalries with BU and BC. Northeastern is the only one who thinks this is the case.

R. No one really has anything to say about Providence.

S. Freddy Meyer is a hack.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                O. Don't expect to find humans in the stands at Mullins, more like zombies.

P. Lowell thinks Hockey East is more fixed than the Pacquiao-Bradley fight.

Q. Northeastern has huge rivalries with BU and BC. Northeastern is the only one who thinks this is the case.

R. No one really has anything to say about Providence.

S. Freddy Meyer is a hack.
                                Ice hockey is a team sport played on ice, in which skaters use wooden or composite sticks to shoot a hard rubber puck into their opponent's net.

Comment

Working...
                                X