New Hampshire @ Massachusetts 11/13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hampshire @ Massachusetts 11/13-14

Empty net! Empty net! Still an empty net! Still an empty net!
    #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Mosrite View Post
      Unless Foster breaks his leg in practice this week AND DiGirolamo stands on his head, Umile's modus operandi is to continue to keep Foster in net...just like he's done with every other senior netminder over the last 20 years.
      How about Kevin Regan's sophomore year, when he basically split the time in half with Jeff Pietresiak, who was a senior. Id be surprised to see Foster in both games this weekend, especially given his recent results. (Wisconsin and Lowell)
      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Unless Foster breaks his leg in practice this week AND DiGirolamo stands on his head, Umile's modus operandi is to continue to keep Foster in net...just like he's done with every other senior netminder over the last 20 years.
        I'm old:

I remember Ty Conklin replacing Sean Matile in 1999. Or was that 1998? See, I'm losing my memory.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          I'm old:

I remember Ty Conklin replacing Sean Matile in 1999. Or was that 1998? See, I'm losing my memory.
          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Except (In my time): Larochelle (96/97), Matille (98/99), Carney (01/02), Pietrasiak (04/05).... So yeah... not really accurate. Conklin (00/01) Ayers (03/04) and Regan (07/08) are the only three and they.... were pretty dang good.

I think if there was a viable alternative at this point we'd have seen it, which falls on the shoulders of the staff for not having a viable backup to Foster, but that said, if the Defense and PK are going to struggle to get the puck out of the zone and keep the puck away from the net, it doesn't matter who is in net...

Comment

My earlier post was more tongue in cheek....

My point is that Umile tends to play his seniors, if they're healthy and capable of doing the job. The netminder's position has been Foster's to lose for the past couple of seasons, and to Wildshawn's point there really isn't a viable candidate to take that starting role away from Foster right now.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Umile went with a rotation this weekend, especially if Friday night turns into another disaster.
              sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                Still more in common then UNH has with class.
                Bah! UNH has more genuine class than Alec Guinness!
                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                  Still more in common then UNH has with class.
                  hehe i needed a good laugh. Three cheers for jjmc

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                    How about Kevin Regan's sophomore year, when he basically split the time in half with Jeff Pietresiak, who was a senior. Id be surprised to see Foster in both games this weekend, especially given his recent results. (Wisconsin and Lowell)
                    I think that Foster will start both games this weekend, but he may not finish them, especially if UMass opens up a four or five goal lead in either game. DiGirolamo has made two such appearances against Wisconsin (12:42 in second game, 2 GA) and Miami (20:00 in first game, 0 GA), with overalls of 3.67 GAA and 0.889 Save% (Foster overalls 4.19 GAA and 0.871 Save%).

The 2009-2010 Cats team is not like the 2001-2002 team in net, when Ayers and Carney alternated starts the entire season, except for a spell in late January - early February when Carney was on the shelf with a concussion. During this time, Tim Collins played 29:22 in the net for the first game of a pair in Orono after Ayers got his wrist tendon slashed, giving up 3 goals in the third (UNH lost 6-3). There was talk of an intramural goalie from one of the dorms on his way to Orono to back up Collins in the second game, but Ayers made history and legend by going 65 minutes with his wrist/hand taped into a reinforced glove to give UNH a 2-2 tie. Later in the post-season, Ayers beat Maine 3-1 for the HE championship, Carney beat Cornell 4-3 in Worcester for a trip to St. Paul, where Ayers mysteriously imploded against Maine giving up six unanswered goals to lose 7-2 in their semi-final FF game.

Of course, there is also little else in common between the UNH 2009-2010 and 2001-2002 teams either, but that is another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I think that Foster will start both games this weekend, but he may not finish them, especially if UMass opens up a four or five goal lead in either game. DiGirolamo has made two such appearances against Wisconsin (12:42 in second game, 2 GA) and Miami (20:00 in first game, 0 GA), with overalls of 3.67 GAA and 0.889 Save% (Foster overalls 4.19 GAA and 0.871 Save%).
                      I'm thinking, and hoping that at least one of the games, probably the first won't even be close. If UMass clicks early, especially on the PP I think they run away with the game in 2nd period and you might see DiGirolamo. That being said, I think if that happens, UNH will come out flying in game 2, and might get the win. Either way I expect game 2 to be much closer.
                      Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

The 2009-2010 Cats team is not like the 2001-2002 team in net, when Ayers and Carney alternated starts the entire season, except for a spell in late January - early February when Carney was on the shelf with a concussion. During this time, Tim Collins played 29:22 in the net for the first game of a pair in Orono after Ayers got his wrist tendon slashed, giving up 3 goals in the third (UNH lost 6-3). There was talk of an intramural goalie from one of the dorms on his way to Orono to back up Collins in the second game, but Ayers made history and legend by going 65 minutes with his wrist/hand taped into a reinforced glove to give UNH a 2-2 tie. Later in the post-season, Ayers beat Maine 3-1 for the HE championship, Carney beat Cornell 4-3 in Worcester for a trip to St. Paul, where Ayers mysteriously imploded against Maine giving up six unanswered goals to lose 7-2 in their semi-final FF game.
                        I gained a lot of respect for Ayers after that. That was a good Maine team.

Of course, there is also little else in common between the UNH 2009-2010 and 2001-2002 teams either
                        I hope we see that this weekend.
                        It's easy to root for a winner...

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
                          I'm thinking, and hoping that at least one of the games, probably the first won't even be close. If UMass clicks early, especially on the PP I think they run away with the game in 2nd period and you might see DiGirolamo. That being said, I think if that happens, UNH will come out flying in game 2, and might get the win. Either way I expect game 2 to be much closer.
                          We've seen this team get dominated in the first game of a pair twice this season, and neither weekend did they come out "flying" the second game. The second game against Miami, they did pick up and even had a 2-goal lead at one point, but couldn't hold it and had to settle for the tie. There's something lacking in this team. They have flashes of that ability to overcome adversity (see last Friday's game against BC), but it's rare, and doesn't quite get them over the top, even when it does show up.

There was talk of an intramural goalie from one of the dorms on his way to Orono to back up Collins in the second game...
                          Club team. Slightly better than intramural (usually).

Originally posted by justinD View Post
                          I hope we see that this weekend.
                          I'm sure. That 01-02 team was scary. I'm still baffled (and depressed) by the loss to Maine in the FF.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            Club team. Slightly better than intramural (usually).
                            The Danimal practiced with the team so he kinda did come up. Did he even dress for a game?
                            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              I'm sure. That 01-02 team was scary. I'm still baffled (and depressed) by the loss to Maine in the FF.
                              You beens baffle et depress pour de laste decade? Wow who new dat?

Comment

Foster great performance... reminds me of Ben Blood

Comment

Working...
                                X