Your program's Mount Rushmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your program's Mount Rushmore

I would add a few names to the Wisconsin list as I believe the Top 3 are locks with Badger Bob, Mark Johnson and Eaves. But while I think Howard is defintely deserving of a spot you could add:

Marc Behrend 49-8-3 Career Recrod and twice the NCAA Tourney Most Outstanding Player
    Chris Chelios - Almost more so for his after college resume, which was also pretty strong for 2 seasons
    Theren Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      No need for a Wisconsin poll. There are maybe a half dozen players that would be worthy candidates, but two of them turned into pretty good coaches (and are also all-time top scorers to boot). We're set at our four.

Robbie Earle thinks he should be considered!

As far as Mark Johnson, are we giving him credit for what he did as a Badger player or all the other stuff also? I love what he's done with the women's program and of course he was the top scorer in 1980, pro career etc, but does that make him a top 4 for the Badger men's hockey program? I'm not saying that he isn't, but I guess I wonder about the criteria. What they did while at UW, for UW, or what they did in their lifetime in hockey?

Again, not saying that he shouldn't be and it's hard to find other players from different eras that were as good. Just wonder about everyone on our Mt. coming out of the 70's when so much good happened afterwards. But, a Mt. Rushmore is probably a tribute to those who set the stage for what followed.

Badger Bob - first on the list and obvious choice

Eaves - From that era, he probably edges Mark Johnson and then you have his title as HC. He's up there.

Bill Howard? Yeah I know. Goaltender U and all that, but I wonder about this selection. I think there are several players and Sauer that could edge Howie.

Okay, so add Barry Alvarez to our list.
      Last edited by Gurtholfin; 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Since no one appears to be stepping up for Holy Cross:
        Paul Pearl has been their coach for 17 years, shepherded the program from Independent status into the MAAC/AHA and won 2 regular season crowns, three tournaments and two NCAA appearances.
        Tyler McGregor was their leading scorer in the 2005-6 season and averaged almost a point per game for his career.
        Their arena is named for Rev. Francis J. Hart who was in charge of the intramural sports program for more than 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
          For Princeton
          Hobey Baker
          Hobey Baker
          Hobey Baker
          and
          Hobey Baker
          Show a little love for Syl Apps III.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I will add Tyler Euverman, Dave Burkholder, Peter Bournazakis, Steve Toll, and Jerry Galway to RIT's list of nominees.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Michigan- Red Berenson, Vic Heyliger, Brendan Morrison and Marty Turco.
              ---
              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
              19 Conference Championships
              10 Conference Tournament Championships
              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

For Yale:
                Keith Allain
                Tim Taylor
                Randy Wood
                Bob Brooke

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Robbie Earle thinks he should be considered!

As far as Mark Johnson, are we giving him credit for what he did as a Badger player or all the other stuff also? I love what he's done with the women's program and of course he was the top scorer in 1980, pro career etc, but does that make him a top 4 for the Badger men's hockey program? I'm not saying that he isn't, but I guess I wonder about the criteria. What they did while at UW, for UW, or what they did in their lifetime in hockey?

Again, not saying that he shouldn't be and it's hard to find other players from different eras that were as good. Just wonder about everyone on our Mt. coming out of the 70's when so much good happened afterwards. But, a Mt. Rushmore is probably a tribute to those who set the stage for what followed.

Badger Bob - first on the list and obvious choice

Eaves - From that era, he probably edges Mark Johnson and then you have his title as HC. He's up there.

Bill Howard? Yeah I know. Goaltender U and all that, but I wonder about this selection. I think there are several players and Sauer that could edge Howie.

Okay, so add Barry Alvarez to our list.
                  I don't see Eaves over Johnson in any way for playing days. Remember his numbers compared to Eaves were in 3 years compared to Eaves full 4 years. Yet he still scored 31 more goals and only 11 less points. He never scored less then 80 points in a season and average over 2 points per game and one goal per game in his career. I do think Eaves is also a lock. I think your point of what the criteria is affects someone like Chelios more, as if it's his UW career then he would not be a selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgers1 View Post
                    I don't see Eaves over Johnson in any way for playing days. Remember his numbers compared to Eaves were in 3 years compared to Eaves full 4 years. Yet he still scored 31 more goals and only 11 less points. He never scored less then 80 points in a season and average over 2 points per game and one goal per game in his career. I do think Eaves is also a lock. I think your point of what the criteria is affects someone like Chelios more, as if it's his UW career then he would not be a selection.
                    After more reflection, I agree that MJ deserves a bust.

I will say however that I wouldn't measure the Eaves v. Johnson debate on scoring alone. Eaves was a 3 time captain and his work ethic from that time is legendary (at least to Eaves). In taking the total of ability and intangibles, I would give Eaves the nod. Snipers are great, captains who can score are often greater (slightly).

Bill Howard though? I guess. Whatever...

It can be hard to compare a four year (or less) player with someone who was around for so long and who helped so many goalies who in turn helped the program.

Comment

Mankato:
                      Don Brose
                      David Backes
                      Steve Carroll
                      Shane Joseph
                      Tom Kern
                      B.J. Abel
                      Pat Carroll
                      Ryan Carter

Hard to pick four. If they must be from the D1 era, though, then that narrows it down some.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Since we are just nominating people, and Butzy is on the list, I say add Aaron Broton as he was the best player on the team the year his brother won the Hobey. (Didn't he have like 72 points as a rookie, and 104 as as a Soph?)

And what about Tim Harrrrrrrrrrrrreeerrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Mike Crowley?

But I'd probably go with the 1st four mentioned.
                        I'd rather we keep the list to 10 or less. I loved Crowley but wouldn't take him over at least 4 others. Tim Harrer had great stats but what % of average fans knew his name before Miracle came out? A. Broten should have got the Hobey but his brother brings the cache. Butsy I'm pretty ok with though getting consideration...

Comment

Now that Minnesota, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence each have 19 nominees, I will be starting their polls in the next few days. The polls will stay open for 35 days. Also, for those of you who have not yet voted for what program you follow, please visit the Polls thread and cast your vote. That way, you will get more say in who makes your program's mount rushmore.

In the poll thread to vote for the players, I will post a brief bio on what I know (or can find out) of the players that have been nominated. Please feel free to add more to these bios.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

RE: Wisconsin

I guess it's up to the indvidual to decide what criteria to use. I'm taking a big picture approach in terms of impact on the program and on hockey in general.

Therefore, I would say:
                            Badger Bob - seems to be little debate

Mike Eaves - contributions as a player are at the top of any list, add in coaching success and he makes the cut

Mark Johnson - certainly contributions as a player - plus the 1980 Olympics, which haven't been mentioned - asst coach for the men and, yes, head coaching success for the women. Taking "Wisconsin hockey" in a broad sense, I think those efforts are suitable for consideration

Bill Howard - If I had to pick a goalie, it would be Behrend or Richter. But given the outstanding lineage of goalies - plus my earliest memories of Badger hockey being Bill Howard and PB on the tape delay - I think he eclipses any individual goalie or other player.
                            St. Norbert College Green Knights
                            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            ---
                            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

I'll add my two cents for BU. I wasn't around during his time, but I'm a little surprised to see Jack O'Callahan mentioned by not just one, but two posters.

In order of slam-dunkness, I would go with:

Jack Parker
                              Rick Meghear (How the bleep do you spell it?)
                              Jack Kelley
                              Chris Drury

The also getting votes would be:

Jack Garrity
                              Mike Eruzione
                              Matt Gilroy

The top four gets you the coach who might be the most obvious pick for this among all schools, the coach who brought the program to greatness, and the dominant player from the two most dominating eras of the program (70's and 90's).
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                Would you add Mike Emrick?
                                OMG, how could I forget Doc?!? He makes those games on NBCSN so enjoyable to watch! They're not quite as good when the other broadcast team does them. Gotta love Doc and Edzo! The only problem is I am not sure who I would remove to put Doc in there. Ron Mason really got Bowling Green's program going in the mid to late 1970's and won a National Title with Michigan State in 1986, Jerry York led Bowling Green to a number of NCAA Tournaments and a National Title in 1984. George McPhee won the Hobey Baker and has been a successful GM for the Washington Capitals for a number of years, and then you have Ken Morrow, a member of the 1980 Miracle On Ice team. Many feel Morrow was the best D-man on that team, then he followed it up with the Islander dynasty by winning four Stanley Cups in a row from the 1979-80 season thru the 1982-83 season. Amazing, no team has come close to winning four cups in a row these days, which actually, is better for the NHL. I love the fact that anyone can win it all, well, except maybe my Blue Jackets (LOL).
                                Last edited by osualum86; 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X