Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAA @ UW.. Will Sarah Palin be in attendance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA @ UW.. Will Sarah Palin be in attendance?

Originally posted by drewski192 View Post

On another note, I think the badgers have the look of a potential championship team. I don't remember ever seeing a Badger hockey team - or at least a Mike Eaves team - that's this fast and that could get up and down the ice and transition as well as they do. Predicting another dominating game tonight.
    Congrats badgers on the sweep. My prediction of law of averages fell flat
    , maybe we'll return the favor someday.

I guess it's possible you guys have a potential championship team but I wouldn't take it to heart yet, Michigan dominated us and they have split and lost 4 in a row so...

Your last championship team in 2006? was fast. about 1 step faster against us that year. this team I would maybe rank it 1/8 step faster or just put it as team speed.

Comment

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
      Once again, though, our PP was atrocious. We were 0/6 I think before Geoffrion went nuts and got a double minor. There is too much passing around the point with defensemen making drives to the net. They need to get more penetration because all of the slap shots end up getting blocked or saved. Not to mention that we gave up another shorty. Grrrr.
      Wasn't at Saturday's game. Had a wedding to go to. Hope my friend who got the tickets likes the ice cream.

Caught the end of the tape delay broadcast. Turned it on just as UAA was scoring their shorty. The announcers were describing a stupid shot the Badger made that lead to it (paraphrasing: "You don't take that shot. It went right into the defender and bounced back and that lead to the shorty"). My question: Who was the shooter? Brendan Smith? I know he was on the ice at the time.
      Last edited by RedFreak; 11-16-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

PB - he was great on the radio years ago. He called the game at a great pace like he was an auctionier. I think doing play by play on tv vs the radio would be a totally different approach. That being said, he has maybe lost a step, but in my eye's he's still doing fine. I grew up with him and Howie on the radio/PBS so I'm probably not the most objective.

Here's a trivia question. Years ago, UW hockey games were broadcast on 2 different Madison radio stations with 2 different sets of guys calling the games. PB and Howie called the games on 1310 WIBA. Who called the games on 1070 WTSO? I know MCR, Joey V, Carter, Gandalf and 60min Solovett know the answer...anyone else?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Here's a trivia question. Years ago, UW hockey games were broadcast on 2 different Madison radio stations with 2 different sets of guys calling the games. PB and Howie called the games on 1310 WIBA. Who called the games on 1070 WTSO? I know MCR, Joey V, Carter, Gandalf and 60min Solovett know the answer...anyone else?
          Jack Swanson, at least for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
            Jack Swanson, at least for awhile.
            Who did the color?

Comment

Who did the color?
              You got me there, though I have a feeling it's going to be a Duh! {slaps forehead} moment when the answer is revealed.

I'm going to guess Bill Brophy.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFreak View Post
                Wasn't at Saturday's game. Had a wedding to go to. Hope my friend who got the tickets likes the ice cream.

Caught the end of the tape delay broadcast. Turned it on just as UAA was scoring their shorty. The announcers were describing a stupid shot the Badger made that lead to it (paraphrasing: "You don't take that shot. It went right into the defender and bounced back and that lead to the shorty"). My question: Who was the shooter? Brendan Smith? I know he was on the ice at the time.
                No it was a forward i think, maybe Craig Smith
                The Quest For 7

Comment

I would guess Brophy too. I actually remember Swanson and Broph most from my childhood, since I was 7 during the 1990 title run and it was my first real memory of Badger hockey. Swanson moved on shortly after that, didn't he?

I heard him calling a D3 women's game a year or two ago on FSN, that was odd.

Comment

PB - he was great on the radio years ago. He called the game at a great pace like he was an auctionier. I think doing play by play on tv vs the radio would be a totally different approach. That being said, he has maybe lost a step, but in my eye's he's still doing fine. I grew up with him and Howie on the radio/PBS so I'm probably not the most objective.

Good call Tim. PB was on the RADIO for years...he was the man. On TV you can't make **** up, like some WCHA refs in the past . I think that NORMALLY, the TV guys are very fair. Andringa never holds back to rip a Badger, or give the opposition some props. Posick & Cerniglia are good about that on the radio as well.

Regarding your trivia, I too first thought of Bill Brophy with Jack Swanson. Chris Moore, who is now with FOX Sports Radio also did some Badger Hockey in the 80's. Remember his impersonation of Québécois goalie DuFrane? Does anybody remember Mike Lucas doing color? Edit: i just remembered Chuck Kaiton did some work in the early 80's maybe?

Here's some MCR media trivia that a few of you should know; what 2 very early Badger play-by-play men are still doing NHL pbp? What TV station did one of them work for in Madison? Only locals will know that one!
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: UAA @ UW.. Will Sarah Palin be in attendance?

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Here's some MCR media trivia that a few of you should know; what 2 very early Badger play-by-play men are still doing NHL pbp? What TV station did one of them work for in Madison? Only locals will know that one!
                      Bob Miller is one of them.

Comment

Ding ding ding!!!! He has been with the LA Kings for 36 years. He was the sports director for WKOW channel 27.

NEXT?
                        Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Does anybody remember Mike Lucas doing color?
                          Yes. I don't remember wher, when, or for how long, but I do remember suffering through radio broadcasts with Lucas doing color.

Comment

Does anybody remember Mike Lucas doing color?
                            That's who I had in mind for the answer to my color man trivia question.

Comment

Working...
                            X