Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New WCHA 2, The Electric Boogaloo (2013-14)

Facked?
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

No, "FACKED." As in Forward-Arrayed Central Kinetic Energy Defense. What rock do you hide under??
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
        No, "FACKED." As in Forward-Arrayed Central Kinetic Energy Defense. What rock do you hide under??
        Would this be a follow on to the direct energy weapons of the 90's?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          I don't think any TV networks are knocking on the WCHA's door asking to televise the championship games. If anything, it's going to require the WCHA using some of that playoff money and put it towards buying air time from a regional sports-net. And, if they're going to do that, then buying time for two days worth of games (neutral site, win or go home format) is much easier to sell than a day or two for three weeks (on-campus tourney rounds).

The B1G Network will take care of their own broadcast, potentially working with FSN-North and FSN-Detroit to simulcast the games. Both networks have alternate Plus stations, which could be home to the NCHC and/or WCHA.

Other options would be to approach other midwestern Regional Sports Nets to see if air time would be available. FS-Wisconsin, FS-Midwest, and FS-Ohio are options. Potentially CSN-Chicago, Comcast Chicago 100, or Comcast Michigan 900 also.

I'm like you though, and don't know much more than just taking some wild-a** guesses at what is available. That's up to the WCHA subcommittee on that topic to hammer out. I'd say that it's a much safer bet that a high-speed high-quality internet stream will be available before a TV package is created. And, a streaming package is much more readily accessible to kids and prospects across the globe than a local/regional TV package is. It's much easier to direct a recruit to the university's website where they can watch the game on their computer or smart phone.

Plus, there isn't international broadcast licensing rights to contend with, if the WCHA produces and supplies the product themselves on their website.
          I agree, I think the key is streaming. Not only for playoffs but for the entire season. Count me one of the new age people that has dropped cable and gone to free over the air/ roku setup. I think a wcha channel on the Internet with quality streaming would be a huge recruiting and marketing tool. As for the cost of the channel, hard to say. But you could never recoup the investment so you might as well think about it as a loss and give it away ( I agree completely with UAAfanblog on this topic). All these schools are going to have to get creative and figure out how to maximize revenue a d make the commitment to the betterment of the league by losing money on a tv streaming site.

As for the tourney, I think that it needs to be distributed evenly... That is benefit of being in a league.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmaxim23 View Post
            I agree, I think the key is streaming. Not only for playoffs but for the entire season. Count me one of the new age people that has dropped cable and gone to free over the air/ roku setup. I think a wcha channel on the Internet with quality streaming would be a huge recruiting and marketing tool. As for the cost of the channel, hard to say.
            IF ... every school already streams their games on something like that horrid AmericaOne outfit then they already have the necessary gear. After that it's just a matter of using one of the many free streaming providers like UStream, JustinTV or Veetle et al. I'd think all the athletic departments would be able to integrate this into what they already do without much cost other than the manhours. And you don't have to ask viewers to buy some external gear like Roku or whatever.
            Last edited by uaafanblog; 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              And you don't have to ask viewers to buy some external gear like Roku or whatever.
              Here's what I just love. Ignorance. There is nothing on Roku that isn't available elsewhere online. I.E., Netflix, Amazon Streaming, MLB.tv, etc. Let's just say that the nWCHA creates an internet "channel." Making it available on Roku doesn't mean that it isn't available on the web too. See, if you happen to subscribe to Netflix, and want to sit in front of your TV rather than your computer, you can either get a computer that plugs in to your TV (which not all do), get the converter that allows you to do that, or get a Roku. That's all Roku is! There is nothing Roku exclusive (and a nWCHA "channel" wouldn't be exclusive either), since Roku doesn't host online video - rather it's like iTunes. They take what's already online and provide a common distribution point. Anyone who has podcasted knows that you still have to get your feed online before iTunes will distribute it.
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                Here's what I just love. Ignorance. There is nothing on Roku that isn't available elsewhere online. I.E., Netflix, Amazon Streaming, MLB.tv, etc. Let's just say that the nWCHA creates an internet "channel." Making it available on Roku doesn't mean that it isn't available on the web too. See, if you happen to subscribe to Netflix, and want to sit in front of your TV rather than your computer, you can either get a computer that plugs in to your TV (which not all do), get the converter that allows you to do that, or get a Roku. That's all Roku is! There is nothing Roku exclusive (and a nWCHA "channel" wouldn't be exclusive either), since Roku doesn't host online video - rather it's like iTunes. They take what's already online and provide a common distribution point. Anyone who has podcasted knows that you still have to get your feed online before iTunes will distribute it.
                OMFG ... I didn't know how "Roku" works. Fooking shoot me now.

GFY ...

Comment

OMFG ... I didn't know how "Roku" works. Fooking shoot me now.

GFY ...
                  Well stop acting like an arrogant know-it-all and maybe ignorance would be a valid excuse...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

If games are only streaming online, I'll never watch a game.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Would this be a follow on to the direct energy weapons of the 90's?
                      No, it's a follow-up.
                      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        If games are only streaming online, I'll never watch a game.
                        If games were only streamed online... I'd actually be able to watch more than two tech games on TV a year. The biggest issue is quality. It needs to not suck like it currently does.
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Well stop acting like an arrogant know-it-all and maybe ignorance would be a valid excuse...
                          Cos expressing what I think and contributing my viewpoint is arrogant. And YOU are saying that? Funny stuff.

No doubt I can be a prime dick. In this situation though there was no dickishness involved from me. Just a yoni who disagrees with many things I've had to say over time and has never (until I provided the opening now with my blatant ignorance of Roku ... ) been able to provide any sort of effective counter. She should stick to radio.

Comment

Cos expressing what I think and contributing my viewpoint is arrogant. And YOU are saying that? Funny stuff.

No doubt I can be a prime dick. In this situation though there was no dickishness involved from me. Just a yoni who disagrees with many things I've had to say over time and has never (until I provided the opening now with my blatant ignorance of Roku ... ) been able to provide any sort of effective counter. She should stick to radio.
                            point taken, the roku is a wonderfully inexpensive way to get high quality streaming video on to your HD tv. It's small enough that you can take it with you when you're out of town and stream from a hotel room. The only problem I have encountered with it, is that it doesn't have a web browser like a ps3 so when a hotel has ethostream or something similar, you can't accept the terms to connect to their internet...very annoying that way. Honestly, a roku channel is a great idea. It's why I choose mlb.tv or mlb extra innings.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

As long as its online, I don't care how people get it. Most of the schools have some sort of streaming already so there shouldn't be a big start up cost. If they can stream HD to a central web page, say the new up to date WCHA website, then it would be easy to locate on the web for watching games. With that, if its available on the web then someone should create an App or link to Roku so that a preson can easily watch it on the TV if they have a roku. No Roku, then connect your laptop into your tv, or watch it on your computer. Again, as long as they put a quality product out there, the delivery methods will catch up...

Comment

I can only ask why is LSSU even in this conference if they put those kind of numbers up for a home playoff series? Not to mentionFerris Wheel and that pathetic turnout or NMU and it's crap numbers.

And why wouldn't Bemidji sell out a playoff series? And if Tech and Northern were having a playoff series at the Mac and not sell it out then Tech should drop hockey too.
                                Maybe if your team would host a first round playoff series for the first time in it's WCHA history, you'd realize that it's a different situation than trying to sell season tickets. For the CCHA schools, having the university spring break during the first round of playoffs also puts a big damper on ticket sales.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X