Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    I hope the Big mistake tourneys match the current CCHA tourney attendance at the Joe.
    At the Xcel it likely will not be like the CCHA tourney attendance.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Undertow View Post
      The paradigm of college hockey is about to shift so radically that we simply can't know exactly how things are going to change. Predicting future attendance would involve far more variables than just "this team brought x number of fans last year, therefore they will or won't show up well in the future." Fanbases are not necessarily static. The rearrangement of conferences will not only change the actual opponents that teams play, but it will change the mindset of the fans of the teams themselves.

This will probably be felt most acutely in the WCHA. Teams like Northern Michigan not only draw more fans to games against teams like Michigan due to the name of the opponent, but the fans get the benefit of following a team that plays in a major conference against that kind of team.

Ten years ago I went to a Michigan-Ferris game in Big Rapids. Everyone was looking forward to seeing their team take on the big winged helmets; UM and MSU are by far their biggest draws. Funny thing, though: The D-2 football team was holding a fundraising raffle to get fans excited about the team and make money. The grand prize? Season football tickets--to your choice of Michigan or Michigan State football.

How will Mankato, Northern, Ferris, and others respond to playing in a "minor" league without the big boys to take their shots against? Maybe it will have no effect. Maybe not. It's impossible to predict.

In similar fashion the B1G has the possibility of enhancing the relevance of its constituents hockey teams within their own fan bases. MSU could see a resurgence to its always-sold-out days of yore; OSU fans may start buying more season tickets and "casual" fans may start following the scores and standings more closely. Who knows? Not any of us.

It is overly simplistic to say "NoDak had almost as many fans at the X as Minnesota did, therefore the NCHC will probably draw as well as Minnesota." It may well be true, it may be false. But we can't possibly have any idea what conference tournaments will be like in a year or two. For all we know the conference tournament concept may wane and collapse as people vote against them with their wallets; or both the B1G and NCHC tournaments become such smashing successes that tv networks start paying to televise them as NCAA basketball counter programming.

Who knows? Not us.
      The casual fan of college hockey will likely believe the Big Ten is the only major conference and they likely will believe everybody else to be minor.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Simple solution: Win more games. Dont finish in that position. Why would the scool forego the revenue from the wrestling tourney in hopes that the hockey team plays home in round one. The simple reason why there was a conflict was an underachieving team. Maybe when you average gets above one butt for every three empty seats, you'll have an argument.
        I can see how you have that perspective from the outside but mind you OSU used to average 6500 a game in earlier years, as good as Michigan draws at home. We've sold out all 17,500 seats on rare occasion, 10,000 for a game against Michigan this last season so yes, when things are good we can sell seats but they never had the intention of giving hockey a chance to show if they could draw well as they signed that deal with the devil almost as soon as the mortar was dry at the Schottenstein Center - for a period of 10 years! And a couple of years ago the bast*rds renewed the contract!

Comment

Casual hockey fans in America exist as a number low enough that they would qualify for endangered species status. Casual college hockey fans skip right past that stage and exist on a level on par with the Yeti, Chupacabra and Loch Ness Monster, where you may hear a 4th hand reference that someone claims to have met one.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            Casual hockey fans in America exist as a number low enough that they would qualify for endangered species status. Casual college hockey fans skip right past that stage and exist on a level on par with the Yeti, Chupacabra and Loch Ness Monster, where you may hear a 4th hand reference that someone claims to have met one.
            Generally speaking, very true. But casual college hockey fans are much rarer some places than others. I know quite a few people who will go to a Gopher game every now and then, but don't follow the team that closely during the season. It's more of a social outing for them. Then there are the types that only go to games in the postseason when the team is playing well. I have a few friends who are like this. Bigger college bouncy ball fans that jump on the hockey wagon when the team is playing well.
            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 04-21-2012, 11:47 AM.
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              I think it depends on region but I know a lot who don't root for anyone but the Wild or not even them, just like hockey, and when they go to a game have an absolute blast.
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I can see how you have that perspective from the outside but mind you OSU used to average 6500 a game in earlier years, as good as Michigan draws at home. We've sold out all 17,500 seats on rare occasion, 10,000 for a game against Michigan this last season so yes, when things are good we can sell seats but they never had the intention of giving hockey a chance to show if they could draw well as they signed that deal with the devil almost as soon as the mortar was dry at the Schottenstein Center - for a period of 10 years! And a couple of years ago the bast*rds renewed the contract!
                I'm well aware of what they have drawn on occasion. But again, the bottom line is that if you don't like playing in the practice rink, win more games, earn a bye. Now with the Big Ten, there won't be any conflict.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I'm well aware of what they have drawn on occasion. But again, the bottom line is that if you don't like playing in the practice rink, win more games, earn a bye. Now with the Big Ten, there won't be any conflict.
                  How won't there be a conflict? The selection of the X and the Joe only have to do with the finals, not the rounds leading up to it. Now if the Big Ten dictates to OSU that unlike the CCHA they won't tolerate us hosting a playoff round in a substandard facility and from this point on it's a no-no then that would be the first bit of news about the new conference that would make me happy.

Comment

How won't there be a conflict? The selection of the X and the Joe only have to do with the finals, not the rounds leading up to it. Now if the Big Ten dictates to OSU that unlike the CCHA they won't tolerate us hosting a playoff round in a substandard facility and from this point on it's a no-no then that would be the first bit of news about the new conference that would make me happy.
                    If you read the article, all six teams will compete in the Big Ten tourney on one weekend. On the Thursdays #3 will play #, 6 and #4 will play #5. On the Fridays, #1 & #2 play the winners from Thursday, with the Friday winners playing for the title on Saturday. Those tournaments are scheduled for the third weekend of March. There are no earlier rounds. Since there are no Big Ten playoffs on the first weekend of March, there is no chance for conflict.

http://www.uscho.com/2012/04/19/big-...-paul-detroit/
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

If you read the article, all six teams will compete in the Big Ten tourney on one weekend. On the Thursdays #3 will play #, 6 and #4 will play #5. On the Fridays, #1 & #2 play the winners from Thursday, with the Friday winners playing for the title on Saturday. Those tournaments are scheduled for the third weekend of March. There are no earlier rounds. Since there are no Big Ten playoffs on the first weekend of March, there is no chance for conflict.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.
                      I hope you understand how touchy a subject that first round issue has been for us here. As far as the university was concerned it was never about how well our team could or should draw being a reason for signing that contract, it was always about them putting a high school event ahead of their own team solely for the money because hockey had always been a low priority sport for them!

Comment

I can't help but wonder if this format may backfire on them. When the CCHA used to have their "Super Six" finals at the Joe those Thursday games were to a mostly vacant arena which is why they went to a 4 team 2 day final.

Comment

Thanks, I was not aware of that.
                          I hope you understand how touchy a subject that first round issue has been for us here. As far as the university was concerned it was never about how well our team could or should draw being a reason for signing that contract, it was always about them putting a high school event ahead of their own team solely for the money because hockey had always been a low priority sport for them!
                          That's certainly understood. I know it has been frustrating for the fans.

Comment

I can't help but wonder if this format may backfire on them. When the CCHA used to have their "Super Six" finals at the Joe those Thursday games were to a mostly vacant arena which is why they went to a 4 team 2 day final.
                            One thing the three day tourney assures is that Michigan and Michigan State will play in Detroit, and Minnesota will play in St Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              One thing the three day tourney assures is that Michigan and Michigan State will play in Detroit, and Minnesota will play in St Paul.
                              Yeah, but some may only go if their team makes it to Friday (the local fans) so now a #3 or #4 team is one bad day on Thursday away from elimination, and one neutral ice
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                                Yeah, but some may only go if their team makes it to Friday (the local fans) so now a #3 or #4 team is one bad day on Thursday away from elimination, and one neutral ice
                                How much that matters depends on how many ticket packages they sell ahead of time. It is what "saved" the F5 attendance in the years that MN didn't make the tournament. If rotating the tournament hurts the package sales because buying/renewing the package becomes a less automatic purchase then having the local team flame out might really impact paid attendance. Another issue is what happens if the local team get seeded into the Thursday and/or Friday afternoon games. Say what you want about the unfairness of the the "Minnesota always gets the primetime game" it made it very easy for locals to buy tickets and know that they won't have to use vacation to watch the Gopher's play in the afternoon or eat the cost of the tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X