Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Long story longer, we will just have to wait and see. But for you to say there is ZERO chance that the NCHC tournament outdraws the B1G is a load of bull.
    If what you are saying is true why did the people at the Xcel Energy Center want to negiotate with the Big Ten first before the nWCHA and the other league?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I still like the idea of the campus playoffs better, but that's most likely never coming back. What I don't understand is how nobody from Wisconsin or OSU spoke up about their arenas not being available the first time around when the conference decided on campus site playoffs.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        I never claimed to be an expert and your comment about "whether I went to the games or not"... What the hell? This isn't a hypothesis... I was at those games.

Its nearly impossible for a team hours away from a school without as big of an undergrad and alum base to outdraw the host school, and hats off for UND for almost doing it, but I don't believe they do. First, when the two are playing (which they did this year and I witnessed) I believe there was a slight edge in maroon and gold than green and black. Second, the Gophers bring casual fans; fans that dont even wear maroon and gold just street clothes, bc if you see someone walking around not supporting a team you probably assume Gopher fan (or neutral). But I can't imagine any UND fans showing up not wearing UND... Same for SCSU, MTU, UW, etc.
        I think that a big part of it is that for the F5 many of the local fans (who are predominately Gopher fans) sell off or give away the tickets to the games that do not include their team. In general, plenty of tickets to the non-gopher games available on the street for below face value (I'm sure that is helped by the fact that they are also afternoon or Thursday games).

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          If what you are saying is true why did the people at the Xcel Energy Center want to negiotate with the Big Ten first before the nWCHA and the other league?
          I don't know. But it may be that, just like most people this country, they don't follow college hockey closely. They see the Big Ten and assume that it will draw more than the other two conferences because it has the big-name schools. Most people assume that. It wouldn't shock me if it did. At the same time, it wouldn't shock me if the NCHC had better attendance.

I was trying to be a gadfly when I made my comment. I wasn't making any guarantees. But I do think the Gopher fans have been given far too much credit for how many fans they draw to the X. Just one man's opinion.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I never claimed to be an expert and your comment about "whether I went to the games or not"... What the hell? This isn't a hypothesis... I was at those games.

Its nearly impossible for a team hours away from a school without as big of an undergrad and alum base to outdraw the host school, and hats off for UND for almost doing it, but I don't believe they do. First, when the two are playing (which they did this year and I witnessed) I believe there was a slight edge in maroon and gold than green and black. Second, the Gophers bring casual fans; fans that dont even wear maroon and gold just street clothes, bc if you see someone walking around not supporting a team you probably assume Gopher fan (or neutral). But I can't imagine any UND fans showing up not wearing UND... Same for SCSU, MTU, UW, etc.
            You said there is ZERO chance. You must have some expert knowledge that makes you so certain. Also I said "whether you went to it or not" because I didn't know if you were at the games. I meant exactly what I said. Nothing more.

Again, agree to disagree whether UND outdraws MN. But YOU are the one assuming Gopher fan when you see street clothes. I have talked to plenty of the people there in plain clothes and a lot of them are just hockey fans in general, won the tickets, got tickets from their work, etc. I also go to the F5 with people that I went to SCSU with that wear their jersey when SCSU plays, and when they aren't playing just wear normal clothes.
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              I still like the idea of the campus playoffs better, but that's most likely never coming back. What I don't understand is how nobody from Wisconsin or OSU spoke up about their arenas not being available the first time around when the conference decided on campus site playoffs.
              The issue of OSU's arena not being available for first round due to the University signing a long term contract to host the state high school wrestling tournament has been beat to death on our threads and after awhile you get tired of bringing it up plus it's embarrassing as hell that Ohio State considers the money they get from it more important than their own collegiate team.

Comment

And I can't tell you that there is ZERO chance that RPI will outdraw Wisconsin next year for season attendance, but its pretty **** unlikely.

You realize that we're not going to ever settle this right? We'll never know what percentage of fans will be from what fanbase for certainty, I'm just saying if I were hoping for attendance, I'd rather have the Gophers at the X than UND, and I'd rather have Wisconsin than us and Duluth. You can disagree if you want; you seem to quite often, ad naseum, with everyone, but I don't see how you can't see that the Big 10 is likely to get better attendance numbers than the NCHC if all other things are equal (in a year where MN and UW are terrible, maybe then they'd be surpassed by NCHC people).
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  The issue of OSU's arena not being available for first round due to the University signing a long term contract to host the state high school wrestling tournament has been beat to death on our threads and after awhile you get tired of bringing it up plus it's embarrassing as hell that Ohio State considers the money they get from it more important than their own collegiate team.
                  Simple solution: Win more games. Dont finish in that position. Why would the scool forego the revenue from the wrestling tourney in hopes that the hockey team plays home in round one. The simple reason why there was a conflict was an underachieving team. Maybe when you average gets above one butt for every three empty seats, you'll have an argument.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

And I can't tell you that there is ZERO chance that RPI will outdraw Wisconsin next year for season attendance, but its pretty **** unlikely.

You realize that we're not going to ever settle this right? We'll never know what percentage of fans will be from what fanbase for certainty, I'm just saying if I were hoping for attendance, I'd rather have the Gophers at the X than UND, and I'd rather have Wisconsin than us and Duluth. You can disagree if you want; you seem to quite often, ad naseum, with everyone, but I don't see how you can't see that the Big 10 is likely to get better attendance numbers than the NCHC if all other things are equal (in a year where MN and UW are terrible, maybe then they'd be surpassed by NCHC people).
                    I think that it is safe to say:
                    1.) That neither the B10 or the NCHC championship will outdraw what the WCHA was getting (at the current ticket prices): They may not even need to open the upper deck.
                    2.) Since they report PAID attendance, selling ticket packages is more important than actually using the tickets.
                    3.) That the NCHC would be more attactive to the X if the attendance was equal because there are NO alcohol sales during the B10 championship.
                    Last edited by Almington; 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      I think that it is safe to say:
                      1.) That neither the B10 or the NCHC championship will outdraw what the WCHA was getting: They may not even need to open the upper deck.
                      2.) Since they report PAID attendance, selling ticket packages is more important than actually using the tickets.
                      3.) That the NCHC would be more attactive to the X if the attendance was equal because there are NO alcohol sales during the B10 championship.
                      I think if the lower the ticket price they could sell out both the B1G and NCHC. The price is just too high for the casual fan IMO.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

The paradigm of college hockey is about to shift so radically that we simply can't know exactly how things are going to change. Predicting future attendance would involve far more variables than just "this team brought x number of fans last year, therefore they will or won't show up well in the future." Fanbases are not necessarily static. The rearrangement of conferences will not only change the actual opponents that teams play, but it will change the mindset of the fans of the teams themselves.

This will probably be felt most acutely in the WCHA. Teams like Northern Michigan not only draw more fans to games against teams like Michigan due to the name of the opponent, but the fans get the benefit of following a team that plays in a major conference against that kind of team.

Ten years ago I went to a Michigan-Ferris game in Big Rapids. Everyone was looking forward to seeing their team take on the big winged helmets; UM and MSU are by far their biggest draws. Funny thing, though: The D-2 football team was holding a fundraising raffle to get fans excited about the team and make money. The grand prize? Season football tickets--to your choice of Michigan or Michigan State football.

How will Mankato, Northern, Ferris, and others respond to playing in a "minor" league without the big boys to take their shots against? Maybe it will have no effect. Maybe not. It's impossible to predict.

In similar fashion the B1G has the possibility of enhancing the relevance of its constituents hockey teams within their own fan bases. MSU could see a resurgence to its always-sold-out days of yore; OSU fans may start buying more season tickets and "casual" fans may start following the scores and standings more closely. Who knows? Not any of us.

It is overly simplistic to say "NoDak had almost as many fans at the X as Minnesota did, therefore the NCHC will probably draw as well as Minnesota." It may well be true, it may be false. But we can't possibly have any idea what conference tournaments will be like in a year or two. For all we know the conference tournament concept may wane and collapse as people vote against them with their wallets; or both the B1G and NCHC tournaments become such smashing successes that tv networks start paying to televise them as NCAA basketball counter programming.

Who knows? Not us.
                        Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          I think if the lower the ticket price they could sell out both the B1G and NCHC. The price is just too high for the casual fan IMO.
                          Fair enough, but would that price maximize the revenue from the event (and how much weight should that have during the decision making process).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                            Fair enough, but would that price maximize the revenue from the event (and how much weight should that have during the decision making process).
                            It depends on how many empty seats there are. I am sure at some point it would be more profitable to sell more at less. What I think they really need to do is tier the prices of tickets.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

You can disagree if you want; you seem to quite often, ad naseum, with everyone,
                              Hold up. Who disagreed with who? YOU were the one who disagreed with ME. Then suggested I must be high.

Secondly, I disagree with everyone? How is that possible? If there is a thread that everyone except one person agrees in (not counting JDUBBS), they are few and far between. I have opinions. I share them. Haven't received much negative rep, so I must no be that abrasive. It is called participating in a discussion. If you don't like it, a message board probably isn't the place for you.

Comment

I hope the Big mistake tourneys match the current CCHA tourney attendance at the Joe.

Comment

Working...
                                X