Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten officially announces tournament sites

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
    Out of curiosity, how did you pick that rink? My folks are from Merrill so I was surprised to see the link go to a place I've been to.
    That's where I'm from, he was trying to make a joke at my expense.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      You sound sad. Why is any non-Big Ten fan even in this thread? They really have no business even in here. Just sayin.
      Ha! This DIRECTLY relates to where my team's leagues postseason tournament will be located.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
        That's where I'm from, he was trying to make a joke at my expense.
        Trying?
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Trying?
          Does one really have to try?
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Does one really have to try?
            We are talking about Merrill here... or we are talking about Flashy Man here... I do suppose both work...
            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              I think that non Big Ten fans can comment here as long as its not just coming to gripe. And there is ZERO chance UND, SCSU and tUMD would bring more fans to the X than MN and UW
              Frankly those outstate programs will probably be followed a bit less in the cities due to change in conference rivalries. In the end, that's why these big ten programs leaving the WCHA has been a big deal.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

I think that non Big Ten fans can comment here as long as its not just coming to gripe. And there is ZERO chance UND, SCSU and tUMD would bring more fans to the X than MN and UW
                Despite your certainty, judging by the last 7 Final Fives there is definitely a chance.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Frankly those outstate programs will probably be followed a bit less in the cities due to change in conference rivalries. In the end, that's why these big ten programs leaving the WCHA has been a big deal.
                  So even if there is a scheduling agreement where the outstate teams play the Gophers every year, because they aren't in the same conference, fans of those programs will stop following their teams? Absurd.
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                    So even if there is a scheduling agreement where the outstate teams play the Gophers every year, because they aren't in the same conference, fans of those programs will stop following their teams? Absurd.
                    I believe what he is saying is that, unless you are a fan of one of the out of state teams, people in the Twin Cities will follow those programs less. I know I'll be less concerned with what UND is doing as I am now and more concerned with what Michigan is doing than I am now.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      I believe what he is saying is that, unless you are a fan of one of the out of state teams, people in the Twin Cities will follow those programs less. I know I'll be less concerned with what UND is doing as I am now and more concerned with what Michigan is doing than I am now.
                      Correct. Gopher fans will still take note of SCSU's record primarily due to proximity...it will probably be somewhere between MSU and OSU and secondary to MI.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Despite your certainty, judging by the last 7 Final Fives there is definitely a chance.
                        Looks like you started early on 4-20 so best advice I can gice you is to share. MN outdraws UND, as close as UND comes to making this false, its true. It may have not seemed that way bc they took a couple years off and then didn't make the Championship game this past year, UND doesn't bring as many fans when both are playing. And UW outdraws SCSU amd tUMD combined when they're playing. I can't say for a fact but I'd imagine Mich, MSU, OSU and PSU will outdraw CC, DU, WMU, UNO and Miami
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Any chance to rip anything Wisconsin must be taken. Especially when it involves Alvarez.
                          I heard Bo Ryan is going to start helping with retaining hockey recruits as well...

But seriously, I'm suprised no one disucssed this angle - What if two conferences both have their tourneys at the X, but on different weekends. Not every conference starts and ends their playoffs on the same weekend. If the two leagues staggered their playoffs, both might get the same venue if they can keep the Wild on a long road trip for 10 days. The real question would be what % of your attending fans are just casual fans of hockey from the Twin Cities area. If there are two tourneys in town in consecutive weeks, both will take a hit in attendance from this sort of fan. If you think the majority of people attending are just fans of the schools participating, then you could have tourneys there three weeks in a row and it wouldn't make a difference.

Sorry to interject with a serious point for consideration. You can now resume the "your conference sux, mine is better" discussion...
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            Correct. Gopher fans will still take note of SCSU's record primarily due to proximity...it will probably be somewhere between MSU and OSU and secondary to MI.
                            But what does that have to do with the attendance? Or were you referring to the first sentence of Euro's post.

Comment

Looks like you started early on 4-20 so best advice I can gice you is to share. MN outdraws UND, as close as UND comes to making this false, its true. It may have not seemed that way bc they took a couple years off and then didn't make the Championship game this past year, UND doesn't bring as many fans when both are playing. And UW outdraws SCSU amd tUMD combined when they're playing. I can't say for a fact but I'd imagine Mich, MSU, OSU and PSU will outdraw CC, DU, WMU, UNO and Miami
                              I disagree. I don't think that MN outdraws UND. I know you are an expert on the attendance of every game, whether you went to it or not.

Lets suppose that you are right, though. The UND jerseys are still at EVERY game. That affects the attendance of every game. If the Gophers aren't playing in the game, whether it is before or after they are eliminated, they don't have nearly as many fans there. Total tickets purchased by UND fans for the Final Five tournament outnumbers the total number of tickets purchased by MN fans for the tournament.

Also, your "if they are playing" caveat is a bit misleading. There were only 5, now 6 spots in the tournament. There are times when these teams have canceled each other out. Denver and UND make it every year. If Wisconsin is there, that lessens the probability that UMD and SCSU are there and vice versa because there are limited spots.

Long story longer, we will just have to wait and see. But for you to say there is ZERO chance that the NCHC tournament outdraws the B1G is a load of bull.

Comment

I disagree. I don't think that MN outdraws UND. I know you are an expert on the attendance of every game, whether you went to it or not.

Lets suppose that you are right, though. The UND jerseys are still at EVERY game. That affects the attendance of every game. If the Gophers aren't playing in the game, whether it is before or after they are eliminated, they don't have nearly as many fans there. Total tickets purchased by UND fans for the Final Five tournament outnumbers the total number of tickets purchased by MN fans for the tournament.

Also, your "if they are playing" caveat is a bit misleading. There were only 5, now 6 spots in the tournament. There are times when these teams have canceled each other out. Denver and UND make it every year. If Wisconsin is there, that lessens the probability that UMD and SCSU are there and vice versa because there are limited spots.

Long story longer, we will just have to wait and see. But for you to say there is ZERO chance that the NCHC tournament outdraws the B1G is a load of bull.
                                I never claimed to be an expert and your comment about "whether I went to the games or not"... What the hell? This isn't a hypothesis... I was at those games.

Its nearly impossible for a team hours away from a school without as big of an undergrad and alum base to outdraw the host school, and hats off for UND for almost doing it, but I don't believe they do. First, when the two are playing (which they did this year and I witnessed) I believe there was a slight edge in maroon and gold than green and black. Second, the Gophers bring casual fans; fans that dont even wear maroon and gold just street clothes, bc if you see someone walking around not supporting a team you probably assume Gopher fan (or neutral). But I can't imagine any UND fans showing up not wearing UND... Same for SCSU, MTU, UW, etc.
                                Last edited by SCSU Euro; 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM.
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X