Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debunking the Myth – Who you play has a huge impact on attendance

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Nonsense. Put UND in Atlantic Hockey, so that your home games against UMinn, UW, DU, and CC are replaced by AIC, Sacred Heart, and Canisius. UND's attendance would drop through the floor, even as their win percentage went through the roof. Then, after about 3 seasons, get a non-conference game against UMinn, and I guarantee that the attendance would be way above that season's average. It absolutely matters who you play - even at UND.
    Did you come to Grand Forks and take a Poll?
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
      Are you the guy that also ran the numbers and invented Moneyball?
      References to movies that you attend and/or watch are lost on me.

The NCHC was founded because 8 schools believed that planing name brand opponents on a consistent basis mattered.
      Whut?!?!?!?

DU's attendance numbers are available for anyone. When and if anyone does they'll see that "playing brand name opponents" resulted in insignificant differences. So what dumbasses (i.e... Gwoz and Faison) do without looking at real numbers is their problem. DU won't see ANY significant change in their attendance from the WCHA to the Butt-Hurt League they formed.

Comment

Man it will be nice when UAA folds their program. Who will be blamed though? The Alaska regents? Gwoz and Faison? Everyone and anyone who isn't associated with UAA? I can't wait to find out.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
          I think the point is this: there is nothing else to do in town.

Not being a smart ***, but one of the big issues organizations/schools have to market against is competition for the consumer's disposable income. I doubt UND faces much competition.
          This.

Of course people there will always be a large crowd for the UND games. North Dakota has no professional sports teams. They also don't have a whole lot to do outside of sports. On a Friday and Saturday night, UND hockey games are like the Super Bowl to North Dakotans.
          "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            DU won't see ANY significant change in their attendance from the WCHA to the Butt-Hurt League they formed.
            I agree - but you're asking the wrong question. You're just replacing big-name opponents with other big name opponents.

The more interesting question to ask is: what would have happened to DU's attendance if they'd stayed in the new WCHA? Ponder that for a couple minutes and THEN tell me that the opponents don't matter.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I agree - but you're asking the wrong question. You're just replacing big-name opponents with other big name opponents.

The more interesting question to ask is: what would have happened to DU's attendance if they'd stayed in the new WCHA? Ponder that for a couple minutes and THEN tell me that the opponents don't matter.
              Here's a ditty I wrote specific to discussions about attendance at UAA. There actually isn't a huge amount of study regarding this but I managed to find some relevant links and have quoted/linked them in the post. I don't want to tout it as some sort of comprehensive look but I did put about 6 hours of research into it.

As to what would have happened ... the status quo would have happened. DU doesn't market it's team worth a crap. They're in a city with a million-plus inhabitants and cannot consistently sell-out their arena? Even with national championships? Their attendance issues have nothing to do with opponent ... weather is a bigger factor across the board in all spectator sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Man it will be nice when UAA folds their program. Who will be blamed though? The Alaska regents? Gwoz and Faison? Everyone and anyone who isn't associated with UAA? I can't wait to find out.

Comment

Not only does who you play have an impact, but who you are impacts attendance as well. Duh.

Comment

Thinking isn't his strong suit.

Comment

Thinking isn't his strong suit.
                      A marketing/business grad saying that I have problems thinking is hilarious.

Comment

The NCHC was founded because 8 schools believed that planing name brand opponents on a consistent basis mattered.
                        No, the NCHC was founded because:
                        -Five schools felt that they shouldn't have to fly into Green Bay and bus the four hours North to Houghton
                        -Five schools felt they were "bankrolling" the "lesser" schools by participating in the league championship when the "lesser" schools repeatedly missed out.
                        -Five schools felt using the B1G conference as a scapegoat would cover their true intent.
                        -The sixth school came along because it didn't want to be the flag bearer for a "much weakened" conference when Notre Dame left for wherever their dart landed.
                        -The seventh and eighth schools were only invited because the other six wanted to have a pair of whipping boys so the teams didn't just play .500 hockey and hurt their PWR. Because the seventh and eighth teams have ONE NCAA tournament win in their combined history.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          No, the NCHC was founded because:
                          -Five schools felt that they shouldn't have to fly into Green Bay and bus the four hours North to Houghton
                          -Five schools felt they were "bankrolling" the "lesser" schools by participating in the league championship when the "lesser" schools repeatedly missed out.
                          -Five schools felt using the B1G conference as a scapegoat would cover their true intent.
                          -The sixth school came along because it didn't want to be the flag bearer for a "much weakened" conference when Notre Dame left for wherever their dart landed.
                          -The seventh and eighth schools were only invited because the other six wanted to have a pair of whipping boys so the teams didn't just play .500 hockey and hurt their PWR. Because the seventh and eighth teams have ONE NCAA tournament win in their combined history.
                          Pointless. Damien typically just makes ridiculous assertions and is incapable of defending them.

Comment

Originally posted by crossjcek View Post
                            Many of the season ticket holders I talked to said that with the realignment looming PLUS this years schedule is why they did not renew their tickets. So why pay for this year and next when you don't like the schedule this year and won't like it in a couple of years. These are not my feelings but from some I have talked to.
                            That just sounds ignorant. I understand if the team isn't performing well, the best way for fans to explain their displeasure is to not buy tickets... but to blatantly say "well, I don't like who the opponents are this season, and I really will miss them in a few years..." just, wow.

I know there is some allure to who you play, but isn't the home team who you're really there to support as a season ticket holder? As a Wings fan in Chicago, I have season tickets to the AHL Chicago Wolves because I became a fan of their team, not because they play the Grand Rapids Griffins four times a year.
                            Last edited by aparch; 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Nonsense. Put UND in Atlantic Hockey, so that your home games against UMinn, UW, DU, and CC are replaced by AIC, Sacred Heart, and Canisius. UND's attendance would drop through the floor, even as their win percentage went through the roof. Then, after about 3 seasons, get a non-conference game against UMinn, and I guarantee that the attendance would be way above that season's average. It absolutely matters who you play - even at UND.
                              UND has sold out games against lesser knowns UManitoba, Cornell, Harvard, RMU and Canisus at the REA in the past. There is not a lot to do on a cold winters night in Grand Forks, ND.
                              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                              Eric's Twitter
                              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                                UND has sold out games against lesser knowns UManitoba, Cornell, Harvard, RMU and Canisus at the REA in the past. There is not a lot to do on a cold winters night in Grand Forks, ND.
                                Congrats on reading the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X