X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    carltonbarret's post made me curious. The players who entered Cornell in the fall of '66 played 576 games and put up 650 points, good for 0.70 goals and 1.13 points per game - including defensemen (but not goalies). The forwards averaged 1.33 points per game in their 281 games played. They were led by John Hughes (father of Olympic gold medalist figure skater Sarah Hughes) with 151 pts in 78 games (1.94 per game).

Anyone have career numbers for one of your favorite classes?
    McClanahan 121gp, 45g, 63a, 108pts (1980 gold medalist)
    Christoff 117gp, 77g, 82a, 159pts (1980 gold medalist)
    Strobel 120gp, 52g, 54a, 106pts (1980 gold medalist)
    Tim Harrer 157gp, 117g, 84a, 201pts
    Micheletti 127gp, 64g, 84a, 148pts

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied
    Re: Best Recruiting Class All-Time

carltonbarret's post made me curious. The players who entered Cornell in the fall of '66 played 576 games and put up 650 points, good for 0.70 goals and 1.13 points per game - including defensemen (but not goalies). The forwards averaged 1.33 points per game in their 281 games played. They were led by John Hughes (father of Olympic gold medalist figure skater Sarah Hughes) with 151 pts in 78 games (1.94 per game).

Anyone have career numbers for one of your favorite classes?
    Last edited by LynahFan; 04-21-2012, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• carltonbarrett
    replied

If not for injuries and pro defections, BC's 2001 class could have been very, very special. Chuck Kobasew only stayed one year, but what a year he had with a 27-22-49 scoring line and winning the MVP award of both the HE & NCAA tourneys. I could easily have seen him putting up 35+ goals if he returned for his Sophmore year. Ben Eaves seemed to be injured his whole career at BC and not only missed many, many games, but he also played long stretches while seriously injured with knee and rib problems. Even so, he still managed to put up 169 points in his shortened career and could have been BC's best ever had he stayed healthy. Tony Voce was the third forward of this class and was the only one who played close to a full slate of games for all 4 years and put up an impressive 90 goals. On defense, JD Forrest was an elite recruit who played exceptionally well until late in his Sophmore year when he suffered a lacerated wrist/tendon and was just never quite the same. Still had a very good career putting up 98 pts.

Leave a comment:

• FRICKER
    replied

add Maine to the list.............they had something like (30) players stockpiled by Shawn Walsh (including 4 goalies) in their hayday. Maine's abuse was one of the major reasons the NCAA established the Clearing House when they and, I think, Wisconsin were recruiting the same blue chipper. Wisconsin couldn't come close to getting him admitted, while Maine had no problem. When the dust settled, there were two very different grade reports in existance.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    Are you trying to trump your boys?
    It's this "honest discussion" thing that I try to stick to, rather than complete and total boorish homerism. I know it's pretty rare, so it's not completely surprising if if confused you....

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    According to the thread title it is "Best Recruiting Class All-Time." Doesn't say anything about my program. But then, I'm not the dimwit who wrote it.
    Read (I know it's tough) the OP again. You are the dimwit

"What do you think your school's best recruiting class was?"

Not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

According to the thread title it is "Best Recruiting Class All-Time." Doesn't say anything about my program. But then, I'm not the dimwit who wrote it.
    This has always been a tough bar to play.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

The only problem with the Cornell class of '70 is that they only won 1 title in their 3 amazing seasons. Michigan's class of '53 won the NCAA title every year they played...
    Are you trying to trump your boys?

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    The exercise is best recruiting class for the program you follow.

Leave a comment:

• The Exiled One
    replied

Originally posted by css228 View Post
    Maybe, but Dryden is also pretty much indisputably the greatest goaltender to ever put on a pair of pads in a college game.
    The ghost of Frank Brimsek agrees.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

I was going to look up a Maine class or two (Paul Kariya's?) until I read this. Game over. I can't see anybody coming up with a cogent argument against this class in terms of college accomplishments.
    I couldn't find a reference to what Maine's 93-94 record "actually" was (without the forfeits), but in the other 3 seasons that Kariya's class played, they were 103-16-12 (.832), which certainly is not too shabby! Imagine if Kariya *hadn't* left...

The only problem with the Cornell class of '70 is that they only won 1 title in their 3 amazing seasons. Michigan's class of '53 won the NCAA title every year they played...

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    I was going to look up a Maine class or two (Paul Kariya's?) until I read this. Game over. I can't see anybody coming up with a cogent argument against this class in terms of college accomplishments.
    The exercise is best recruiting class for the program you follow.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Well, then. You'll have a hard time finding a better class than the one that entered Cornell in fall of '66. They weren't eligible to play their freshman year, but in their 3 years of eligibility, they went 83-4 (.954). I'm sure this must be the best NCAA record for any individual class.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    no prob, my list is based solely on the amount of individual talent coming to Madison at one time (or in this case two consecutive years), I was too young to assess the 80's talent but do remember watching Richter, Granato's, Mellanby, Ranheim, Tuttle et al.

by no means did this group 90-91 (and 91-92) solidify and play as a team which was quite a shame as they should have won at least 1 NCAA Title. 1992 LSSU title game loss and subsequent melt-down ruined the team. from there forward they played like their were 5 pucks out there at all times.
    I know the feeling. The 1989 loss sticks with me in much the same way.

Leave a comment:

• JDUBBS1280
    replied
    Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
    SCSU recruits in 1998: Scott Meyer, Dean Weasler, Mike Pudlick, Tyler Arnason, Nate DiCasmirro. Later joined by Duvie Westcott.
    Good one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X