NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

are you belittling the fact that Michigan Tech uses Michigan athletes? How dare you! You don't think its important for Michigan Tech to use Michigan Athletes?

To be honest, I just don't care enough to look up numbers for other schools, so I chose Michigan Tech...

I'm not belittling anything. I honestly think its great that MT recruits primarily Michigan athletes. I simply asked the question, how many sports does it compete at the Div 1 level, and what is the ratio in those those sports, as compared to the sports that are not Div 1.

It's simply an issue of different dynamics for Div 1 than Div 2. And again, different dynamics from both Div 1 and 2 to Div 3.

comparing Apples to Oranges to Grapes.

Find me an apple to compare my apple with. Know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
      No, I wouldn't. Tennis is NOT a big sport in Minnesota. For one the weather here makes it difficult for Minnesotans in sports like Tennis and Golf to have huge success.
      Never heard of indoor tennis? Even us Mainers have that.
      Gymnastics as a high school sport, at least from my out-state perspective, doesn't exist, at all. So that one doesn't shock me. Swimming & Diving? Well, like I said, they make exceptions when the state alone can not supply enough quality athletes to put forward a highly competitive team.
      It shocks me. I thought the whole premise of the greatness of the Minnesota high school hockey system was because the vaunted U of MN only recruited local players. That that attracted the local lads and they all began skating around on frozen ponds with sticks and discs of vulcanized rubber in the hopes of one day landing a prized scholarship to pull on the sweater with the big maroon M that strikes so much fear in the hearts of college hockey players everywhere. (College hockey players everywhere who apparently owe their scholarships to the same fact that the vaunted U of MN only recruits local lads.) So with the same logic, all the vaunted U of MN has to do to build a killer swimming and diving program in local high schools - and across the entirety of the USofA, mind you, before the whole sport ceases to exist altogether - is to stock their own team with local kids exclusively.

edit: note how I kept what was relevant in your quote, deleted what I didn't need, yet kept your username and the USCHO tags so that other readers can click on that and be taken to your entire quote.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Men's Gymnastics, which to be fair isn't at all surprising. Men's swimming and diving is at <19%, Men's tennis is at ~22%

Men's Gymnastics, eh?! Figures.

An example of the balance I am talking about, can be seen with Women's soccer. We had a coach who recruited as many of the top Minnesotans she could, but brought in good players from Iowa and Illinois and Wisconsin, and we had one of our best seasons yet. Team was about 60% Minnesotan? Now its at 85% Minnesotan and they are struggling.

Needs a better balance.

On the other side of the coin, the VB team is 33% Minnesotan and regularly gets to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 and also the FF and Championship game even.

I think that 33% should be the low end, personally, and then a very high rate of success should be expected.

The Women's hockey team's low wnd should be higher, at 50%, and its at 12 out of 22 right now, just about 55%, but at the same time, while its maybe just a bit below where I think it should be? That very high rate of success thing can't go any higher. And like I said, 9 of their next 11 recruits are Minnesota girls, and they'll be replacing 7 out of staters and 4 Minnesotans. So that ratio will improve and be right about at that 70% you mentioned.

Comment

I'm not belittling anything. I honestly think its great that MT recruits primarily Michigan athletes. I simply asked the question, how many sports does it compete at the Div 1 level, and what is the ratio in those those sports, as compared to the sports that are not Div 1.

It's simply an issue of different dynamics for Div 1 than Div 2. And again, different dynamics from both Div 1 and 2 to Div 3.

comparing Apples to Oranges to Grapes.

Find me an apple to compare my apple with. Know what I mean?
          Apples to Apples
          Minnesota to Wisconsin
          Total Athletes: 738 to 800
          Percent In-State: 45.3% to 44.8%
          Percent Men In-State: 44.3% to 43.3%
          Percent Women In-State: 46.4% to 46.2%

Considering the numbers we're talking about, Wisconsin has more opportunities for in-state athletes 358 to 334 and the percentages are not significantly different.
          Therefore, based on this years data, Minnesota does not not focus more on in-state athletes more than Wisconsin in documented significant way.
          How's that?
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So with the same logic, all the vaunted U of MN has to do to build a killer swimming and diving program in local high schools - and across the entirety of the USofA, mind you, before the whole sport ceases to exist altogether - is to stock their own team with local kids exclusively.

edit: note how I kept what was relevant in your quote, deleted what I didn't need, yet kept your username and the USCHO tags so that other readers can click on that and be taken to your entire quote.

Sorry UncleRay - You have to forgive me, everything I know about surfing the internet and using a laptop has been completely and totally self taught. And it was only a few weeks ago that I was rewriting people's quotes by hand. I still listen to cassette tapes and watch vcr movies. lol

And if Swimming and Diving was a big revenue sport, and/OR the kind of sport that kids throughout the world wanted nothing more than to play and be the best at, you might be right and Minnesota could probably just do that.

In Minnesota, Wrestling is that kind of sport. We like it here in Minnesota, and UMn was very influential in the growth of the sport in the state, not as much as it was with hockey, but it was, and UMn followed the pattern of Minnesota hockey to a point, and has grown and become successful, and kids DO grow up wanting to be wrestlers now, like Brock Lesnar.

Women's BB and hockey and VB followed similar paths as well. Although women's bb was already developed throughout the state when the Varsity program started at Minnesota. But the team had its most success when it kept local stars home, and same with VB and women's hockey.

But outside of Cfb, Cbb, cBb, Wr on the mens side and VB, wbb, wSoc and wHy on the women's side, what other sports could really fit the bill?!

Rowing?! Is that what you grew up wanting to be, a big college Rowing star????

Comment

[
              QUOTE]Apples to Apples
              Minnesota to Wisconsin
              Total Athletes: 738 to 800
              Percent In-State: 45.3% to 44.8%
              Percent Men In-State: 44.3% to 43.3%
              Percent Women In-State: 46.4% to 46.2%

Considering the numbers we're talking about, Wisconsin has more opportunities for in-state athletes 358 to 334 and the percentages are not significantly different.
              Therefore, based on this years data, Minnesota does not not focus more on in-state athletes more than Wisconsin in documented significant way.
              How's that? [/QUOTE

Because Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is a PUBLIC University that probably feels a responsibility to the residents of the state who pay taxes that support the school.

Another reason is Wisconsin has a larger population with which to work with. And Marquette is only competitive with them when it comes to recruits in basketball, nothing else.

Wisconsin is also of the same Midwestern mindset. My guess is Iowa's numbers aren't that much lower. Although Iowa's population probably forces them to look elsewhere far more.

Oh, and finally, one other obvious reason, and this goes for any non-revenue sport at any school. Some of these sports have a very limited operating budget and so not a lot of money to spend on recruiting athletes from all over the country or the world. So its only natural to look in your backyard first.

Look, I'm NOT dissing schools who look elsewhere, some schools are forced to do so, including in some sports, Minnesota. This isn't a deal where there has to be a negative to balance out the positive. It's simply that in the sport of hockey, Minnesota has earned a positive mark, and hence why they have received more of the Hall of Fame accolades and invites to play for the Olympic team and to coach the Olympic team than other schools.
              Last edited by Back2BackU-MnPride2002; 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

And if Swimming and Diving was a big revenue sport, and/OR the kind of sport that kids throughout the world wanted nothing more than to play and be the best at, you might be right and Minnesota could probably just do that.
                Ummm, you don't really want to compare the number of kids worldwide involved in liquid water sports versus those in frozen water sports, do you??? I don't need to do a two-minute search to know that that won't even be close. So, in true jdubber fashion, start backpedaling, mom.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

There's no way this guy isn't JDUBBs, but either way you guys just keep getting sucked into arguing with them both. There's that whole saying, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"...

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    There's no way this guy isn't JDUBBs, but either way you guys just keep getting sucked into arguing with them both. There's that whole saying, "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"...
                    It is, and he has a woody I can see from my back deck

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Does anyone know who JWUBBS really is?
                      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight with all your might!
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      We are out to win your fame,
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                        Does anyone know who JWUBBS really is?
                        I don't, but can't be that hard to find in Minnesota. Now if he was from Wisconsin, with our much larger population it would be nearly impossible.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                          It is, and he has a woody I can see from my back deck
                          Which poster?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Must be something in the water over there across the Mississippi and St. Croix...
                            Actually when you cross the St. Croix you're doing fine. It's once you cross the Mississippi that things start to go off.
                            Bugs Bunny - 96
                            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Ummm, you don't really want to compare the number of kids worldwide involved in liquid water sports versus those in frozen water sports, do you??? I don't need to do a two-minute search to know that that won't even be close. So, in true jdubber fashion, start backpedaling, mom.

UncleRay -- And you are going to tell me that those water sports draw more fans than ice hockey?!

Or that water sports actually can generate enough revenue to pay for themselves or sometimes make their school money?!

There are a lot more people that bowl or play darts, too, but neither sport would make a college any money. Neither sport is the kind that has kids growing up dreaming to become just like those who participate in at the pro level.

Comment

Come on Slap Shot, I thought you were smarter than that? But maybe not?

Comment

Working...
                                X