Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
    WOW?! Really. Well, thankfully the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, and the US Hockey Hall of Fame, and the Olympic Hall of Fame and the NHL all disagree with you.
    These organizations have gone on record saying, "College hockey would have folded if Minnesota had recruited from out of state?" 'Cause all I'm saying is that it wouldn't have (folded).

Minnesota has MORE HOCKEY Hall of Famers than any other college, more US Hockey Hall of Famers than any other college, more Olympic Hall of Famers than any other college, and last I checked, has sent MORE players to the NHL than any other college.
    Want a cookie?

And what you called this "dreamed up in-state policy", first of all wasn't invented by Doug Woog, its been the "general" school policy from the beginning of its existence and only reinforced by John Mariucci who predates Woog by decades, so yes, it can absolutely can be retroactively accredited to the University of Minnesota, because UMn is whats called a PUBLIC University. STATE TAX DOLLARS are used to support it and its mission. It has branch offices all over the state. UMn-Mpls is the Main school, but is part of a larger system, including UM-Duluth, UM-Crookston, etc.. All of these schools see as part of their mission, to give opportunities to MINNESOTA RESIDENTS to get a higher education.
    I never said anything about Woog. It turns out that I knew all of this, because, you see, some of us care and know about all of college hockey, not just our own provincial little school.

UMn sees it as part of its role in society, to contribute to the economy of the state of Minnesota, to the improvement of living conditions and life in general of Minnesota residents. Minnesota residents get something called INSTATE tuition rates that are much more affordable than those from other states.
    Just like every other state school - so what?

What school is it btw, that you support?! How is it that you don't understand this concept of what a PUBLIC University's mission is???
    Anyone who actually cares about college hockey as much as you claim to would be able to figure that out from my user name. BTW, both my parents and numerous other relatives have UMTC degrees, so my disagreement has nothing to do with ignorance - I'm well aware of the school and its mission. I just believe that college hockey would not be in any danger of folding if 59 schools were recruiting from all over instead of a measly 58.
    Last edited by LynahFan; 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I know your type Tippsy, you make a lot of noise and when someone pulls out the facts to refute you, you run off like a little girl.
      Why do Minnesota fans have such a tough time spelling?

Yeah, you have shown in your short time on this forum, you are all about the facts. Like when you decided to say Miami is the worst #3 seed in the history of the rankings.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
        There's no such thing as the "NHL Hall of Fame."
        That sounds like a fact. Pride guy would never refer to something that isn't a fact.
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
          Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          That sounds like a fact. Pride guy would never refer to something that isn't a fact.
          All this time Dubber thought "Hall of Farmers" was "Hall of Famers."

Now the whole Minnesota thing is beginning to make sense.

Comment

So from the FOUNDING of the Univ of Minnesota, back in 18xx whatever, its "general" policy has ALWAYS BEEN to provide opportunities for Minnesota residents first and foremost, but never exclusively. Doug Woog tried that, but only because the growth of high school hockey in Minnesota was so widespread that he thought he could pull it off. No harm, no foul in trying.
            So based on this post I would assume this policy should be across the board at Minnesota for all 23 of it's NCAA sports?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

These organizations have gone on record saying, "College hockey would have folded if Minnesota had recruited from out of state?" 'Cause all I'm saying is that it wouldn't have (folded).

Well, first of all, actions speak louder than words, and Minnesota players and coaches having been honored by all of those Halls of Fame and given so many more opportunities to play for the US in the Olympics and in the NHL shows what the hockey world thinks of Minnesota's contributions to American hockey. Whether some individual college hockey fans don't care to recognize Minnesota the same way is up to them. Do whatever you wish, I don't care. I care 1 million times more what the NHL & USA Hockey think.

Comment

So based on this post I would assume this policy should be across the board at Minnesota for all 23 of it's NCAA sports?

Shirtless Guy --

Yes, that is basically, for the most part, absolutely correct. It is basically the same policy across the board for all 23 of UMn's NCAA sports.

There may be one or two exceptions, but off the top of my head I can't think of what team that would be?!

Comment

Why do Minnesota fans have such a tough time spelling?

Yeah, you have shown in your short time on this forum, you are all about the facts. Like when you decided to say Miami is the worst #3 seed in the history of the rankings.

EXACTLY!!! First of all, in the very same post I stated that maybe that was a little bit of an exaggeration, and yes, THE VERY SAME POST. But I then proceeded to provide plenty of evidence and facts to back up that statement, all of which you never responded to. Because you can't, really. Because I was right, basically.

Comment

Shirtless Guy --

Yes, that is basically, for the most part, absolutely correct. It is basically the same policy across the board for all 23 of UMn's NCAA sports.

There may be one or two exceptions, but off the top of my head I can't think of what team that would be?!
                    Minnesota has 23 NCAA sports and only 8 of them have more Minnesotans than non-Minnesotans
                    Only two have 75% or greater amount of Minnesotans than non-Minnesotans...Men's Hockey and Women's Soccer.
                    Overall there are more non-Minnesotans among all Women on D1 rosters 178 vs 154
                    AND more non-Minnesotans among all Men on D1 rosters 226 vs 180
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post

Nitpicker?

Yeah, doesn't surprise me. People without substance behind their bs, usually fall back on other tactics to attack the person whose opinion they hate. They nitpick spelling or minor errors, or they resort to name calling, etc..

All out of the weakness of their argument.

Comment

EXACTLY!!! First of all, in the very same post I stated that maybe that was a little bit of an exaggeration, and yes, THE VERY SAME POST. But I then proceeded to provide plenty of evidence and facts to back up that statement, all of which you never responded to. Because you can't, really. Because I was right, basically.
                        I didn't respond because the Miami fans had requested that we not completely derail their thread. It is called etiquette. They started the thread to talk about their upcoming series. You came in and basically blew that plan out of the water.

Was this one of your "facts" to back up your statement?
                        LOL, Miami is no worse a #3 than the Gophers are a #2, eh?!

WOW, and all because the RPI, a rating system respected by about 5% of sports fans, says so, eh?!

Comment

And Tipsy, that Miami that you were defending? LOL, their fans used the weakness of SCSU's ooc accomplishments as an example to try to prove my remarks about the CCHA to be bs.

Nice of them eh?! LOL

Comment

Minnesota has 23 NCAA sports and only 8 of them have more Minnesotans than non-Minnesotans
                            Only two have 75% or greater amount of Minnesotans than non-Minnesotans...Men's Hockey and Women's Soccer.
                            Overall there are more non-Minnesotans among all Women on D1 rosters 178 vs 154
                            AND more non-Minnesotans among all Men on D1 rosters 226 vs 180

As has been said many times before, it is a "general rule".

When local talent can not fill up over 50% of a teams roster, yes, of course they go elsewhere to find that talent. And the more girls and boys that choose to play hockey, the fewer that are playing other sports.

But those ratios are not that far from being at 50%. I'm guessing the football team throws the mens stats way off.

And I still would be willing to bet those ratios are much higher than the average college out there.

Comment

And Tipsy, that Miami that you were defending? LOL, their fans used the weakness of SCSU's ooc accomplishments as an example to try to prove my remarks about the CCHA to be bs.

Nice of them eh?! LOL
                              St. Cloud State's out of conference performance WAS weak. What am I gonna say? It isn't true? That is obviously why we are 12th in the PWR and Minnesota is in 2nd.

Comment

Well, first of all, actions speak louder than words, and Minnesota players and coaches having been honored by all of those Halls of Fame and given so many more opportunities to play for the US in the Olympics and in the NHL shows what the hockey world thinks of Minnesota's contributions to American hockey.
                                Nobody is disputing Minnesota's contribution to American hockey.

What I *am* disputing is whether it was all that significant for NCAA hockey, which has a long history of doing just fine with ~50 teams who recruit from all over. Yet, according to you, the whole enterprise would have fallen apart if one more school (a whopping 2% more!) had decided to do exactly the same thing that everyone else was already doing.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X