Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Originally posted by Back2BackU-MnPride2002 View Post
    And while perusing the thread I decided to try out this rep thing that I really didn't understand, apparently? My first rep was positive and when I tried repping the same person later, was told I couldn't until I spread more rep or something like that, and I remembered reading some poster post something about needing to spread more rep, so it just seemed like it wasn't a big deal. But apparently it was. For anyone I neg repped, I'm sorry. Didn't know it was against the unwritten rules to neg rep someone, or that it was such a big deal. Apparently it is, and I'll be much more careful in the future.

So question? I don't want to derail this topic again, so where can I go to find out more about this rep thing, the rules, and all of that?
    Neg repping is fine for most people, because they get balanced out by positive reputation.

It is very helpful in the instances someone like you comes to the board, we have a way of identifying morons, trolls and people that are full of it.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Well done. 69 posts in and you're in the running for one of the dumbest things ever posted on the board. There are plenty of Canadians (et al) who play hockey to have filled every single roster spot on every NCAA team ever. And those schools would have gone on to win one NCAA title per year, and each conference would have still awarded one conference title per year - exactly the same success rate that teams have had WITH Americans on board. With the same rate of success, why would they have dropped hockey? Colleges were playing hockey for 60+ years before Minnesota dreamed up its in-state policy - or does UMinn somehow get retroactive credit for that, too? If 1980 hadn't happened, the other 40+ schools playing college hockey would have merrily continued on recruiting players from all over, and college hockey would have been just fine.
      I don't know, LF - Mrs. Dubber has a point. If it weren't for Minnesota hockey, we might all be speaking Russian now. Or worse - Québecois French.
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Dubbers/back2back have their moments, but Lynah and Kepler (when he was around) react to, "Minnesota" live Pavlov.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
          I don't know, LF - Mrs. Dubber has a point. If it weren't for Minnesota hockey, we might all be speaking Russian now. Or worse - Québecois French.
          That reminds me of an argument that goes on in our house. We have an ancestor from Quebec, so my son wants to say that he's part French Canadian.

There's no French Canadian or even Canadian when it comes to race or nationality. If you're French Canadian, you're French.

I'm not German - American. I'm an American with German ancestry.

Thoughts?

I will concede though that there is a subset race of Americans called Minnesotan-Americans.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

If Waldo were a meritorious thought, Dubber's stuff on this page alone would keep us all searching at least until UND takes home the big one in April.

Comment

Well done. 69 posts in and you're in the running for one of the dumbest things ever posted on the board. There are plenty of Canadians (et al) who play hockey to have filled every single roster spot on every NCAA team ever. And those schools would have gone on to win one NCAA title per year, and each conference would have still awarded one conference title per year - exactly the same success rate that teams have had WITH Americans on board. With the same rate of success, why would they have dropped hockey? Colleges were playing hockey for 60+ years before Minnesota dreamed up its in-state policy - or does UMinn somehow get retroactive credit for that, too? If 1980 hadn't happened, the other 40+ schools playing college hockey would have merrily continued on recruiting players from all over, and college hockey would have been just fine.

WOW?! Really. Well, thankfully the HOCKEY Hall of Fame, and the US Hockey Hall of Fame, and the Olympic Hall of Fame and the NHL all disagree with you.

Minnesota has MORE HOCKEY Hall of Famers than any other college, more US Hockey Hall of Famers than any other college, more Olympic Hall of Famers than any other college, and last I checked, has sent MORE players to the NHL than any other college.

And what you called this "dreamed up in-state policy", first of all wasn't invented by Doug Woog, its been the "general" school policy from the beginning of its existence and only reinforced by John Mariucci who predates Woog by decades, so yes, it can absolutely can be retroactively accredited to the University of Minnesota, because UMn is whats called a PUBLIC University. STATE TAX DOLLARS are used to support it and its mission. It has branch offices all over the state. UMn-Mpls is the Main school, but is part of a larger system, including UM-Duluth, UM-Crookston, etc.. All of these schools see as part of their mission, to give opportunities to MINNESOTA RESIDENTS to get a higher education.

UMn sees it as part of its role in society, to contribute to the economy of the state of Minnesota, to the improvement of living conditions and life in general of Minnesota residents. Minnesota residents get something called INSTATE tuition rates that are much more affordable than those from other states.

What school is it btw, that you support?! How is it that you don't understand this concept of what a PUBLIC University's mission is???

So from the FOUNDING of the Univ of Minnesota, back in 18xx whatever, its "general" policy has ALWAYS BEEN to provide opportunities for Minnesota residents first and foremost, but never exclusively. Doug Woog tried that, but only because the growth of high school hockey in Minnesota was so widespread that he thought he could pull it off. No harm, no foul in trying.

Comment

Must be something in the water over there across the Mississippi and St. Croix...

Comment

Neg repping is fine for most people, because they get balanced out by positive reputation.

It is very helpful in the instances someone like you comes to the board, we have a way of identifying morons, trolls and people that are full of it.

I know your type Tippsy, you make a lot of noise and when someone pulls out the facts to refute you, you run off like a little girl.

Comment

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Comment

I know your type Tippsy, you make a lot of noise and when someone pulls out the facts to refute you, you run off like a little girl.
                      ...or like Jan.

Comment

To help put things in perspective, there are more hockey players from Canada named "Moose" in the NHL Hall of Fame than there are college graduates from Minnesota in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Comment

Maybe you should learn how to quote posts properly so I can see their entire post and see who said it...if you had not mentioned Tippsy I'd have no idea who you're talking to...just a thought.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

<--- I'm a convert

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
                            Last edited by UncleRay; 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                              To help put things in perspective, there are more hockey players from Canada named "Moose" in the NHL Hall of Fame than there are college graduates from Minnesota in the NHL Hall of Fame.
                              Hell, there are more left-handed lawnmower throwers in the NHL Hall of Fame than there are college graduates from Minnesota in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Thanks to a certain program.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                                There's no such thing as the "NHL Hall of Fame."
                                Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                                "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Working...
                                X