X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kdiff77
    replied
    Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

PC brought in Alex Beaudry in the middle of the season a few years ago, and he essentially did the same thing as the UConn kid you mentioned. I really don't think Whittet has any plans to bring on another goaltender, or if he does, he's been very quiet about it. Borelli looked good against Union and RPI, but we don't yet know if he's the answer for the full season. DeFilippo appears lost right now, but if he can regain his confidence, we have a very good netminder right there.

As for the recruited goalie you mentioned- I would hope they end up recruiting a second goalie to join him. Borelli graduates this year, and DeFilippo will be a senior next year, along with Joe Mello. However, I doubt Mello is viewed as a viable Division 1 goaltender, because he played for the Brown club team for two years. If possible, I would think Whittet would look to find a better option for a third-string goaltender.

Speaking of third-string goalies, that's exactly what Borelli was prior to this season. And now he's poised to be our starter for the foreseeable future. Yikes.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied

My last point (now that I'm not on my mobile phone internet and can actually type without fat fingering everything. Guarantee there's some spelling issues cmoing yuor wya -- see what I did there??)...

Brown only has two defensemen recruited for next season - Cameron Romoff of Portland (EJHL) and Aleksi Rossi of Waterloo (USHL). Both are due to arrive at Brown next year and are not future recruits. That means next year Brown will have a full complement of D skaters. They also have a goalie in Tyler Steel out of the BCHL and a future recruit for 2014 in the form of Conor Maher. SO the future is very bright. I've followed Maher for a while since he's out of Marshfield, and he's developed into a very solid netminder. So while this year things look bleak, the future is very bright.

My guess is that Brown is looking inwards to determine if a converted forward will take over on the third pairing or if it'll be Tang. My guess is that they'll try Tang, but he will only shine if he has a chance to move the puck. If the Brown system keeps him planted at the blue line, then he's going to fail. When I saw him in the EJ's, he was great when allowed to make creative moves and flow the puck. He failed when he planted himself at the blue line.

What Brown can do is convert a forward back and see who wants it badly. If someone is going to put in the effort, then said person will earn the right to set foot on the ice. Brown has absolutely nothing to lose by doing this. It might help too to get some forwards exposed to the defensemen mentality. Maybe those guys on the third line who are struggling to crack the top six get a shot in this regard. They're going to have to get very creative in the way they approach the games since a straight up approach from here on out isn't going to work.

Brown essentially has to patchwork the rest of the year, and like BrunoFan00 said - if anything happens to Wahl or Robertson, this defense automatically becomes "cardiac arrest." IMHO - if anything happens to either one of those guys, then the season is, for all intents and purposes, over defensively and Brown will have the worst unit in the country. Crowley as a senior should be much better than he is, and the adventures in netminding that a nightly basis gives makes things tough.

I've seen worse. UConn one year was positively horrible defensively, but they recruited a goalie who stepped in for teh 2nd half of the year. It cost Garrett Bartus an entire year of eligibility, but his ability to stop 40 pucks per night earned him stripes and he's now one of the better goalies in the AHA. It's a shame he lost that year because I was really excited to see him a) not play a year and then b) redshirt so he'd be a senior when UConn left for Hockey East. And their defense gave up 45 shots per game that year. I doubt Brown could do something like this because of admissions - highly doubt you're getting a mid-year call up out of anybody (is that even possible?). Or at least one that Northeastern won't go and recruit on you during the first half of the year (hehehehehe).

It's doable but the entire playbook goes out the window now. It's like running a football offense - when your offensive line is turrible, you rebuild into a split veer option that doesn't get your QB killed. Brown's going to need to make a radical change to keep their goalies from getting killed every night.

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
    Taki Pantziris has left the team to play junior hockey in Canada.

The 6th defenseman is sophomore Greg Tang. I don't believe he's ever dressed for a regular season game.
    Tang was an all star in the EJHL. Very fast. Puck moving dman who is much in line with guys like Grzelcyk from Bu and Weinstein from Bentley. Not sure how he will translate to college though but he has an agile style that's atypical of your stereotypical dman

Leave a comment:

• Humanoid
    replied
    Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    Humanoid, do you know that the HE format is changing for a fact, or is that your own speculation? Even if it is just speculation, it does seem very likely to be the case. Why else would Boston College, a team that could literally schedule anyone in the country, specifically want to play against a team that hasn't finished higher than 9th in the ECAC in almost a decade?

With regard to York: he is truly the classiest act in all of college hockey. I've always pulled for BU and rooted pretty heavily against BC, but if anyone is going to succeed at BC, there's no one I'd rather have do it than Jerry York.

The changing format heading into next year with the addition of ND is fact. They will switch to playing each team twice in home-home format. So a BC-BU weekend will feature one game at BC and one game at BU. the exceptions are trips to Vermont, Notre Dame, and Maine.

It takes a format where they played the 9 other schools 3 times (for 27 conference games) and makes it so they'll play each of the 10 other schools twice (for 20). That's factual.

I'm not sure what's happening when UConn goes. They haven't announced that. Also not sure why BC would come to brown. Everything I said was speculatory

Leave a comment:

• Brown09
    replied

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    On a dimmer note, Divver also tweeted that Taki Pantziris has left Brown because he was unhappy with his role. Divver says we're now down to just 6 defensemen, but by my calculation, it's 5 (Robertson, Wahl, Crowley, Pfeil, De Concylis).
    Taki Pantziris has left the team to play junior hockey in Canada.

The 6th defenseman is sophomore Greg Tang. I don't believe he's ever dressed for a regular season game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X