Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Playoff hockey at it's best. How is our series with Cornell any different than yours with RPI? We all know that the ECAC playoffs are never anything like the regular season. Teams get hot, cool off, come out of nowhere, or disappear. It's why they play the games.
    Brown wasn't supposed to win that series, and Brunonians even said that they didn't believe they could really win that series without the right amount of luck. We were simply hoping and praying that the week off stunted RPI's momentum while Brown's roll through the last week or so did vice-versa.

Games that, at the time, meant nothing in terms of the big picture

Then Rand really isn't that great of a coach. Based off what you said about the playoffs, you'd think he'd have put his foot on the gas pedal full bore to keep his team sharp. Easing up then taking the week off knowing some team would come to Hamden fired up and pistol hot? If we know that, I'm betting Coach Pecknold was like that. No game means nothing in terms of the big picture because the playoffs are so much of a crapshoot. You have to make sure your team is getting hot. And like we said after the game against Brown, some of Qpac's players are products of the system. In that case, because they're products of the system, if the system starts to fail, then the team isn't that great. Solid system, but if he pulled off the gas pedal down the stretch, then that's a gross miscalculation based on what we said about teams disappearing, getting hot, and cooling off.

Yes, we've been solid all season, but hardly unbeatable. We had our share of puck luck along the way and way too many close games for my liking (last night being the best example of that).
    From November 6 to February 15th, Quinnipiac lost zero games. That's pretty unbeatable. Unbeatability = Talent + Puck luck.

Winning does that, especially to the casual fans. Take a close look... there's been a lot of bravado here over the past few weeks (and I don't mean that in a bad way).
    Ok I'll agree with you on this one. But I'll do it through this lens - Brown's fans have been starved for success for years and years and years. We've been saying all along the same thing - that if this ride is ending at some point, we've already gotten so much out of this team. We don't sit back and walk around thumping our chest about this team winning a championship. We wholly believe that they could simply lose each game; this is still the team selected to finish 12th. There's nothing left to prove on this year for Brown; they've become relevant under the most dire of circumstances. It's a very different type of bravado. We believe that Brown very easily could lose this game on Friday, but oh, what a ride it was. Some (not all) of the Qpac fans are walking around like winning has become a birthright because they're Qpac. Not all of them, but the ones that do make the experience interminable, and for their sake, a slice of humble pie would be great.

Please note that Brown doesn't have casual fans....they barely have fans, period.

Seems that sentence could easily be re-written with Whittet's name.
    Again, I agree. But Pecknold has a great system in place, and Whittet has made chicken salad out of pig turds. Given the circumstances, if you gave Whittet the Qpac roster and Pecknold the Brown roster, I believe Quinnipiac wouldn't have had that letdown and Brown would've folded up tent halfway through the season. Very different animals. Jack Parker actually coveredt his when talking about Yale when he almost took that job in his presser for retirement. I'm sure Pecknold is thrilled he didn't take the UMass job.

Again, we're looking at it as saying, "Brown very easily would've lost 25 games and been the next coming of Sacred Heart and we wouldn't have blamed them." Instead, this is what we got. You really have to marvel at it; bear in mind that I'm only a casual Brown supporter. I wish we had this type of result up at Bentley where the team went 1-10-2 down the stretch when the roof was falling in.

Save that for Friday night!
    See you there!! All this aside, you're probably one of the classier posters out there, and I love it when you interact with us. The banter makes the week go by faster, and in the end, you're not Harvard or Yale
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

I love beating RPI because their fans get super butthurt and start whining about "thugs" and "goons" and refuse to accept the loss as anything but a product of said thuggery.

To paraphrase Mike Rubin after the Clarkson series: Brown's heading to Atlantic City, and RPI is staying right in Troy. And that's all that actually matters.

I'm glad we don't have to face Dartmouth or Cornell in AC. They honestly worry me more than the three teams who made it.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        I love beating RPI because their fans get super butthurt and start whining about "thugs" and "goons" and refuse to accept the loss as anything but a product of said thuggery.

To paraphrase Mike Rubin after the Clarkson series: Brown's heading to Atlantic City, and RPI is staying right in Troy. And that's all that actually matters.

I'm glad we don't have to face Dartmouth or Cornell in AC. They honestly worry me more than the three teams who made it.
        What, you want us to kiss your *** or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          What, you want us to kiss your *** or something?
          No, I want you to be classy and respectful like some of your peers (DrDemento, for example). You've been acting like a little kid since yesterday,

Comment

No, I want you to be classy and respectful like some of your peers (DrDemento, for example). You've been acting like a little kid since yesterday,
            It started a lot earlier than yesterday.
            APBWiki

Comment

Don't forget that any and all RPI losses are also the result of referee thuggery as well

Congratulations, Brown! The rest of the league is proud of you for knocking off an RPI squad that was as unimpressive of a "#2 seed" as I've ever seen. You've got this Cornell fan rooting for you in AC.

Comment

I agree. Those two teams are perennial spoilers for the Bears.

What time is Friday's game? (I know it's the "early one," but when?) I may have to leave work early to catch the stream.

- Darth

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post

What time is Friday's game? (I know it's the "early one," but when?) I may have to leave work early to catch the stream.

- Darth
                  4pm
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by DarthBruno View Post

- Darth
                    Also be aware that the games are televised, assuming you pick up FOX Sports Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Also be aware that the games are televised, assuming you pick up FOX Sports Atlantic.
                      DirecTV, don't let me down now!

Thanks.

- Darth

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                        The quest for a title continues!! Great game for Brown all aroound. Except for the last 4-5 minutes of the second, Bruno dominated the Engineers. RPI except for that short period seemed to be playing more individual hockey than team hockey. Undoubtedly RPI missed the senior leadership of its terrific Dman Baillen and Brown took advantage.

When Brown scored first you could sense it was Brown's night. Even after RPI came back with 2 quick ones, that feeling was not gone. You could tell Brown was not losing any composure. Watching the players come off their shifts, it was a good sign for me that a Brown coach was right with them, apparently with some words of encouragement. I never, never saw that in the Grillo era. But the last two minutes were nonetheless nailbiting times. It took me 15 minutes to get my heartbeat rate down. Thankfully, I only had a 15 minute drive home.

I took my grandkids to the game again and apparently they heard a Brown fan talking about Roy. They asked me about it, and they could not understand why a player would do that, much less leave Brown. They agreed to take up a collection to buy a bus ticket for Roy to AC!!
                        Yeah...Brown really dominated RPI with those 3 shots in the second period and 4 in the third. Brown was actually dominated from the second period on. Give credit to Borelli though, 40 saves kept Brown in it the whole game and without him Brown doesn't win last night.

Comment

Originally posted by NedBraden View Post
                          Yeah...Brown really dominated RPI with those 3 shots in the second period and 4 in the third. Brown was actually dominated from the second period on. Give credit to Borelli though, 40 saves kept Brown in it the whole game and without him Brown doesn't win last night.
                          I will stick by the domination comment. True, Brown had only a handful of shots and RPI had many more, but their shots were the ones Brown wanted them to take, ie, low percentage ones.

Comment

I will stick by the domination comment. True, Brown had only a handful of shots and RPI had many more, but their shots were the ones Brown wanted them to take, ie, low percentage ones.
                            P'TOOO! Sorry I had to spit out those grapes. They tasted sour. That'll teach me to buy produce in Troy, NY.
                            Last edited by Humanoid; 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM.
                            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The last we heard it had something to do with Jon.
                              I ruin everything.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by LynahScott View Post
                                Don't forget that any and all RPI losses are also the result of referee thuggery as well
                                This is unfortunately a deserved comment for may RPI fans. We have many among us who whine about refs. That said... they are sometimes pretty bad. I just don't happen to think that they are necessarily worse for us than for others. It's human nature to remember the bad calls against your own team more I guess. One's impression of whether a call was bad or not though is often a reflection of how much one really knows about hockey to begin with.

Originally posted by LynahScott View Post
                                Congratulations, Brown! The rest of the league is proud of you for knocking off an RPI squad that was as unimpressive of a "#2 seed" as I've ever seen. You've got this Cornell fan rooting for you in AC.
                                Brilliant comment there LS. You managed to insult one team while simultaneously debasing the other's accomplishment.

As for the Brown folks here... congratulations on a hard fought win. I don't think the better team won but that's hockey. We are 2-2-1 on the season. I for one would enjoy a 6th game with Bailen in the lineup for us. There is an infinitessimally small chance for that to happen this year but in reality it won't happen. It would be like finding an actual Sasquatch or a Cornell Alum who was completely free of smugness. I'm still looking for my first.

Best luck in AC.

Comment

Working...
                                X