Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

A TEAM LEADERSHIP COUNCIL? What's THAT?

For the sake of conversation, I can't resist posting this story about a peculiar institution at Bowdoin College: the "Leadership Council," comprised of the hockey captains, five additional players, and Assistant Coach Jamie Dumont, who advise Head Coach Terry Meagher on a number of matters, including, evidently, goaltender selection. The Meagher brothers starred on those great Boston University teams in the 1970s. What's the connection to Brown? Terry had an amazing game against Brown in the 1976 ECAC finals, and his brother Rick scored the winning goal against Brown in the 1975 ECAC semifinals, which featured one of the greatest displays of goaltending in a Brown uniform by Kevin McCabe. It's also been rumored that Terry was considered for the Brown head coaching job in the 1980s. Terry Meagher's cerebral approach to hockey is raher unique, and he isn't afraid to try new ideas, whether it's a three-back system or a council of team advisors. He must be doing something right. 498 career wins, two NESCAC championships and three trips to the NCAA tournament over the past four years, a consistently exciting (for this Bowdoin alumnus sometimes a bit TOO exciting), highly offensive product on the ice.

It's a short article and worthwhile reading.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/so...013-03-06.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
      Harry Z's latest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...games/1960579/

On my way to Providence yesterday, I was listening to the Flyers' game on NHL radio network. When Harry made the hit, the announcer said it was the hardest check he had seen in a long time. He added that it did not appear to be a dirty one.

When the suspension is over, I am looking forward to Volpatti v. Harry Z on March 31 on TV.
      Hope he's not on the path to becoming another Matt Cooke. I'm surprised that the players or teams themselves don't police players like this out of the league who are always one shift away from ending someone's career.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
        So there's two message boards floating around that I was really enjoying but they died off. One was about the Mt. Rushmore of a program and who would be on it.

Is there any doubt that Brendan Whittet gets on that after this season? Even if Brown goes two and out against Clarkson, he's gotten more out of this team than ever thought possible. Remember that this team, BEFORE injuries and BEFORE the season started (back when Roy was supposed to still be coming to Brown) was a UNANIMOUS choice to finish dead last.

Yann Danis, Brendan Whittet, Damian Prescott and Steve King.

If anyone says Roger Grillo, you're get a size 13 Humanoid boot in your you knows.
        Must be a 90's grad with this list! Let's chalk up the very premature addition of Brendan to this list to the blinding euphoria of Brown getting a home playoff series!

Comment

Less than 24 hours to get your picks in: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2013
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
            Must be a 90's grad with this list! Let's chalk up the very premature addition of Brendan to this list to the blinding euphoria of Brown getting a home playoff series!
            Yeah, I'm not certain that Whittet gets on the list just yet. I'm not ready to anoint a coach who has brought the Bears to one ECAC Final Four and a 7th place finish ahead of a Fullerton or Toomey, and certainly not above Danis, Bennett, Bennett. Prescott had two good years, definitely not in my top five, never mind top four.

Comment

Great news for Borelli, Lorito and Robertson as well as Brown!!

http://www.brownbears.com/sports/m-h...20130307h5wff7

Comment

Taking a break from snowshoveling, I was on the Web and noted that Mark Divver is reporting Hathaway will be playing tonight. Great news. it will be interesting to see now Brendan's lines for this weekend. They all played well against Colgate.

Comment

There's no chance the game will be postponed because of snow, is there? I don't know how the streets are around Meehan but certain areas got about a foot and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunofan View Post
                    Hope he's not on the path to becoming another Matt Cooke. I'm surprised that the players or teams themselves don't police players like this out of the league who are always one shift away from ending someone's career.
                    Here's my Matt Cooke story:

My first full time job out of college, I was working for a local manufacturer of window treatments. We dealt with vendors from all over Canada and USA. One time, a woman from western Canada called me up to complain that her customer didn't think that his room darkening shades were dark enough. I told that I'll see what I can do with them as far as remaking them, but then she told me that her customer was world famous hack hockey player Matt Cooke of the Canucks. Then I told her that I wasn't a fan of his and he should worry about scoring goals instead of his sleep patterns.
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Harry Z allowed to play in the AHL (sent down today).... http://theahl.com/ahl-rules-on-zolni...bility-p182437
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                        Harry Z allowed to play in the AHL (sent down today).... http://theahl.com/ahl-rules-on-zolni...bility-p182437
                        Does that mean that he can play in the AHL while the Flyers play their next four games, then be called up and resume playing, or do the four games apply to ones the team plays while he's on the NHL roster?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          There's no chance the game will be postponed because of snow, is there? I don't know how the streets are around Meehan but certain areas got about a foot and a half.
                          I was in Massachusetts for the last two days and didn't realize how little snow Rhode Island got! There's nothing on the roads at all and maybe a couple inches on lawns. In MA, it's an absolute blizzard- probably close to two feet.

Comment

Some quick thoughts:

-Brown by no means played 100% tonight, but still managed to win. Sometimes, you gotta win ugly in the playoffs.
                            -Greg Lewis looked like a freshman tonight. Lorito's goal was one he should have had, and he left pucks bouncing around in front of his crease all night. Brown just wasn't in the right places to cash in. He seemed visibly rattled by a group of guys who stood above the net and heckled him all game (strange, considering he's played in far more daunting venues than a mostly-empty Meehan).
                            -What a pitiful turnout. This is the opposite of what Whittet wanted. There was a big basketball game next door, but this is the PLAYOFFS! That should usurp a meaningless game against a former league power in which neither team is in the running for the Ivy League title, shouldn't it? There were probably a hundred or so students and half the band (the other half was at the Pizz), which is pathetic considering Brown was GIVING AWAY 200 free tickets to students. The storm probably kept the locals away (you know Rhode Islanders: if the ground is wet, they hole up and watch TV), but there is no excuse for the poor student attendance.
                            -The defense, as a unit, played its best game of the season. Clarkson only had a couple of truly good chances, and when he needed to, Borelli bailed out his defenders. The Knights took 31 shots, sure, but most of them were low-percentage or low quality.
                            -Both teams seemed content to play a mind-numbing, conservative, low-risk type of game. Brown began playing the neutral zone trap as soon as we scored, and Clarkson took its sweet time trying to move the puck up the ice. Boring, but evidently effective from our perspective.
                            -Who would have guessed these were two of the worst power plays in the league? Brown scored a PP goal in the first, and both teams had some great chances on power plays in the second period (not so much in the third), including a shot by Pfeil (I think) that trickled between Lewis's legs and was cleared by a defenseman before a Brown stick got to it.

Unfortunately, I'll be in New York for a conference until Tuesday, so I won't be able to make the next game (or two, depending on tomorrow's result). But I'll hopefully be watching from my hotel room. Someone needs to yell at Joe McDonald (who was incredibly bad tonight- always in the way, never made the right call, ugh) in my stead. That Roy guy was probably even worse.

Comment

Atta boy, Bruno!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                Atta boy, Bruno!
                                Great win for you guys, as well! I can't believe the Friars might finish first in HE so soon into Leaman's tenure.

Comment

Working...
                                X