Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
    Don't make uninformed assumptions that cast aspersions on the reputations of these people!

First of all, that quote should not be attributed to SkinsFan09. It was either Mr. Yeti, who runs the very informative "Black and Blue" blog that covers the Lincoln Stars and was possibly repeated by Mr. McMahon who blogs about the Merrimack team.

Mr. Yeti is personally acquainted the players in Lincoln. By May 2012, there were three Lincoln players who were committed to NU for this season and one for next season.. For all you or I know, there might have been a comment made over beers that that led him to suspect that Roy might reconsider his plans.

Despite your anger and disappointment, is it conceivable to you that Roy, and the three recruit pals, might have heard that NU had two scholarship players turn pro in late spring? Perhaps, at the urging of his friends, Roy may have made a call to the coach who recruited him two years earlier, at which time he inquired about NU situation and their possible interest in him. That is the proper "etiquette" when someone wants to decommit and go elsewhere.

I don't know how this all came about, but I do know that it's foolish to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts. It's even more foolish to share such conclusions.
    Nice try, but self-serving and totally unconvincing.

If our assumptions are incorrect, it's up to the NU coaching staff and the Roy family to clarify these matters. It doesn't help that less than two weeks before "decommitting," Kevin Roy stated in an interview that he was definitely attending Brown.

What's angering Brown fans is not that Kevin Roy "decommitted." It has happened to Brown before. What's disappointing is the seemingly unethical manner in which it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown09 View Post
      What's angering Brown fans is not that Kevin Roy "decommitted." It has happened to Brown before. What's disappointing is the seemingly unethical manner in which it was done.
      I'll agree with you that his decommitment was certainly not graceful. Some things require a major act of diplomacy in order to make them minimally palatable. We should know more by the end of this week. USHR, if you subscribe, will probably have a lot to say on the subject. The author was incensed about the way the family/boys handled their end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

Despite your anger and disappointment, is it conceivable to you that Roy, and the three recruit pals, might have heard that NU had two scholarship players turn pro in late spring? Perhaps, at the urging of his friends, Roy may have made a call to the coach who recruited him two years earlier, at which time he might have inquired about NU situation and their possible interest in him. That is the proper "etiquette" when someone wants to decommit and go elsewhere.
        Quick question:

How much is plane fare to Fantasyland?

Follow-up question:

Are the hotel rates reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
          Quick question:

How much is plane fare to Fantasyland?

Follow-up question:

Are the hotel rates reasonable?
          Providence is only an hour's drive from Boston.

Why would anyone want to stay overnight?

Comment

Here's something I posted to the Northeastern thread in response to a post from a Brown fan. Probably worth copying to the Brown thread:

"All I can say is that I sympathize, and agree with your characterization of the very late date at which Brown was notified of the change of heart. The circumstances are different but the end result is almost the same as what Northeastern went through last season when it had to endure key recruiting losses at a late date. It didn't feel any better for for us then than it does for you now. Unfortunately, the recruiting landscape has changed dramatically in recent years, what with players being courted at very early ages, the emergence of the legalized fraud known as "family advisors," the propensity of some NHL teams to steer young draftees away from college hockey and, of course, the pernicious influence of $$$$. It is what it is."

Hope your guys can rise above the setback.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Here's something I posted to the Northeastern thread in response to a post from a Brown fan. Probably worth copying to the Brown thread:

"All I can say is that I sympathize, and agree with your characterization of the very late date at which Brown was notified of the change of heart. The circumstances are different but the end result is almost the same as what Northeastern went through last season when it had to endure key recruiting losses at a late date. It didn't feel any better for for us then than it does for you now. Unfortunately, the recruiting landscape has changed dramatically in recent years, what with players being courted at very early ages, the emergence of the legalized fraud known as "family advisors," the propensity of some NHL teams to steer young draftees away from college hockey and, of course, the pernicious influence of $$$$. It is what it is."

Hope your guys can rise above the setback.
              Rest assured that the NHL team involved did not tell him anything. Wagner from Colgate did just fine playing in that league and in a million years they wouldnt tell him what to do. 4th Round pick is not as important to them as you might think. We are not talking Chris Kreider here..... Even with him they didnt pressure him to do anything

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                Rest assured that the NHL team involved did not tell him anything. Wagner from Colgate did just fine playing in that league and in a million years they wouldnt tell him what to do. 4th Round pick is not as important to them as you might think. We are not talking Chris Kreider here..... Even with him they didnt pressure him to do anything
                My post said some NHL teams, which is a generalization that I agree does not apply in the Roy bros case and did not mean to imply. But it's pretty well known that some NHL teams are fine with the NCAA route while others are not, and that is why it's a factor in the changed recruiting landscape.
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  My post said some NHL teams, which is a generalization that I agree does not apply in the Roy bros case and did not mean to imply. But it's pretty well known that some NHL teams are fine with the NCAA route while others are not, and that is why it's a factor in the changed recruiting landscape.
                  NP

Not in todays world would any of the teams tell a 4th rd pick to go to NU over Brown. I also don't believe any of them would tell a 4th rd pick to go MJ over D 1. Not being negative but he didnt go until 4th rd for a reason. Many from USHL went far earlier

Comment

And what was the reason IYHO?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                      NP

Not in todays world would any of the teams tell a 4th rd pick to go to NU over Brown. I also don't believe any of them would tell a 4th rd pick to go MJ over D 1. Not being negative but he didnt go until 4th rd for a reason. Many from USHL went far earlier
                      It's a 4-letter word called SIZE. Talented players who are small are always overlooked. Look at Gaudreau. Theo Fleury fell to 166th overall. He worked out well no? And he is obviously better than Roy.

Marty St. Louis went undrafted for God's sake. All because he was small. Teams realized they were dumb after he made a fool of the NCAA in the mid-90s. And he went on to win a Hart Trophy.

NHL scouts freak out if a player is small.
                      Last edited by SkinsFan09; 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Ken Schott reporting the ECAC tourney is headed back to L Placid in 2014. Presser next Tuesday. https://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Ken Schott reporting the ECAC tourney is headed back to L Placid in 2014. Presser next Tuesday. https://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/
                          Announced through college hockey news as well. This is great news.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ake_placid.php
                          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by ECAC Hockey Blog View Post
                            Hello Brown Fans,

First off, I hope you are all having great summers and are getting ready for the hockey season to start back up.

I'm writing on this thread is that it currently looks like I won't have the necessary time to run my blog (www.ecachockeyblog.blogspot.com) this season. I've been trying to think of ideas of how to keep the blog running, while not putting as much time into it as usual, but still keep it relevant to the college hockey community. So, I came up with this idea of a blog network. If you're not 100% sure what a blog network is check out SB Nation. I feel this could be the only way for my blog to survive, but at the same time could benefit ECAC Hockey fans and the blogging community.

I'm hoping to find a blogger for each of the ECAC teams to create the network. Currently, bloggers from Quinnipiac and Union have committed to the network (and possibly Clarkson & Colgate soon). From what I can tell, there isn't an active Brown Hockey blog, so I'm writing here to see if anyone has any interest in doing so. I can always help with getting the blog off the ground.

If you have any interest or questions, please email me at ecachockeyblog@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time, and good luck to the Bears this season.
                            Hey guys,

I've decided to collaborate with this project, and start a Brown hockey blog. I just got it up and running, so there's just a "Welcome" post up right now, but I just wanted to let the regulars on this thread know that I'll be posting a lot during the regular season this year, and will probably do some previews and other content in the next couple months. I'm super excited, as this project will provide a new spark to what is already my favorite time of the year- hockey season. I'd love any feedback you be willing to share once I get the ball rolling. Here is the link:

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

My intent is to provide a place for all of us to discuss Brown hockey, not just for me to write about it, so I'm hoping you guys will check the blog every now and then and participate. I'll post links here occasionally as well.

Comment

On another note, I'm glad the ECAC Tournament is finally back where it belongs. I would have loved to see them try it in Providence, but I think we all know Lake Placid is the rightful home for the Final Four.

Comment

Great call putting the ECAC tournament back in Lake Placid. Just a fantastic place and a great weekend location. Lake Placid Brewery is just awesome.
                                Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X