Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Some quick thoughts and notes before the trip to the North Country this weekend.

Comment

I wasn't able to watch Brown's 3-2 victory of Clarkson tonight, but it looks like Borelli had another strong night and it's good to see Jacobsen get back to his scoring ways that have been missing all season. If there was ANY doubt about Borelli being the starter going forward, it's been erased. He still hasn't allowed more than two goals in a game and has a 3-1-3 record. Sorry, Marco.

Comment

Another point of importance: we were perfect (1-1, but still) on the power play, and gave up precisely ZERO shorthanded opportunities. That's right- a Brown hockey team didn't take a penalty throughout the course of a 60 minute game. And we won. Shocking, I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
          Another point of importance: we were perfect (1-1, but still) on the power play, and gave up precisely ZERO shorthanded opportunities. That's right- a Brown hockey team didn't take a penalty throughout the course of a 60 minute game. And we won. Shocking, I know.
          Brown didn't take many penalties at the UConn tournament either. They had one in the third that led to a PP goal for Minnesota State, but against AIC I can't recall any. Truthfully, the Bears can't afford too many penalties, particularly by their D-men, considering their lack of depth.

I'm curious if they rolled out six D and all four lines in the third period, or if there was a shortened bench. Either way, I'm hoping to catch some of tomorrow's game from afar, even though that means listening to the SLU call. May have to be LiveStats!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            I watched the game over the internet and the zero penalties on Brown and only one on Clarkson was a farce. But I will say, for once the officials called a game consistently through out, they basically called nothing. Granted there were not a lot of plays that called for penalties.

Borelli played well for Brown but the first Clarkson goal was definitely a sieve shot from the circle that went in off his glove.

Last but not least Brown scored the game winner late in period 2 when they made a late line change and then the officials do not allow Clarkson (the home team) the last change. Not saying it would have made a difference but there is no way the officials should have not allowed Clarkson to make the last line change and put fresh players on the ice to counter Browns fresh players.

It was a good win for Brown and they deserved the win. Congrats.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Bad news:

Though we already knew Marco was out with injury, Matt Wahl will be out 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury, according to a report this week in the Projo.

Who steps up? Is this is the proverbial straw? How much adversity can this team take? On the cusp of contending for home playoffs, as usual, but it's going to be a matter of points - and the Bears need wins to contend. Otherwise, it's another swing on the road.

On a positive note, Matt Lorito keeps filling the goal. Hope he can stay healthy!

Who is next to play D? Siers? Drolet? Senecal? Robertson or bust for 51 minutes a game?!
              Last edited by BrunoFan00; 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                Bad news:

Though we already knew Marco was out with injury, Matt Wahl will be out 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury, according to a report this week in the Projo.

Who steps up? Is this is the proverbial straw? How much adversity can this team take? On the cusp of contending for home playoffs, as usual, but it's going to be a matter of points - and the Bears need wins to contend. Otherwise, it's another swing on the road.

On a positive note, Matt Lorito keeps filling the goal. Hope he can stay healthy!

Who is next to play D? Siers? Drolet? Senecal? Robertson or bust for 51 minutes a game?!
                If they don't move Drolet back, Whittet might need to come out of retirement and play himself. Or they'll have to dip onto the club team like they did with the goalie situation. This is bad.

Robertson is almost assuredly going to be an iron man and quadruple shift from here on out. Maybe when Marco is healthy, they can take the third goalie and skate him as a defensemen. It worked for the Mighty Ducks in D3 - you know, the one where Gordon Bombay wasn't the coach.
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Some thoughts on what could be an incredibly brutal stretch, especially considering our key injuries.

Comment

Mark Divver reported on Twitter that Crowley could be out this weekend, and that Borelli has missed the past two practices with the flu.

Clearly, we've somehow invoked the wrath of the hockey gods, and they're not taking it easy on us.

Comment

Big weekend coming up. Time to break the Dartmouth w streak? Outplay Harvard again but win? The injury report does not bode well. How much time can Robertson realistically log? But even with all of the injuries Brown has had, Brendan has had the team in every game except PC. I see a W over Harvard and as well a W over Dartmouth. Interestingly, Ken Schott has Brown over Harvard but a 4-2 L against Dartmouth. He surely is aware of the injuries but obviously sees something in Brown.
                      http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...12-13-week-15/

Comment

Jesus. This is just absurd now.

Borelli is out tonight with the flu, so Marco DeFilippo will be essentially playing through the pain of whatever knee injury he has sustained so that we don't have to start our club team third-stringer. Chris Zaires is out for the game because of a lower body injury that occurred in practice yesterday. Crowley will play, contrary to previous information, but will do so battling an upper body injury.

We could be in heaps of trouble against a really terrific Dartmouth team.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          Jesus. This is just absurd now.

Borelli is out tonight with the flu, so Marco DeFilippo will be essentially playing through the pain of whatever knee injury he has sustained so that we don't have to start our club team third-stringer. Chris Zaires is out for the game because of a lower body injury that occurred in practice yesterday. Crowley will play, contrary to previous information, but will do so battling an upper body injury.

We could be in heaps of trouble against a really terrific Dartmouth team.
                          I think Brown is showing some extreme resilience the likes of which we've never seen. Yes, they lost last night, but I think when you look at this team, Brendan is doing his best job of coaching these guys up that any of us might see in recent past or future history. He has virtually no skaters left that are healthy, and he's getting the most out of his team. Consider this:

1) Before the season started, this team was supposed to have Wonder Boy playing alongside Quick, Lidman, and Baby Wonder Boy in net. They were supposed to enter the season with 3 goalies, a solid slate of defense, and at least three lines of decent skaters. Brandon Pfeil was maybe going to crack the second d-pairing, but for the most part he would be expected to play third pairing or just sit back and cycle in when needed, otherwise playing in a rotation with Panziris and Crowley or De Concilis. Because of everything that's happened, Pfeil is a top pairing guy because Wahl is out. The fact that Brown's defense is as patchworked as it is means they have to play completely disciplined and not make ANY mistakes. At some point, the lack of horses haunts them, but the fact that they're not as bad as some of the results plaguing teams like AIC or Alabama-Huntsville is a testament to the coaches coaching the players they brought in.

2) If anyone's worried about playing time, I don't think they have to worry about it anymore.

3) How's this for stats - against Dartmouth, Brown took 2 minor penalties. Against SLU, they took 6. Against Clarkson - zero. In all three games, the other team has been penalized more than Brown. That's some MAJOR discipline that not only do they not take DUMB penalties, they simply don't take any penalties. Does that mean Bruno's playing ultra-conservative? Probably. I'm willing to bet there are a couple bangers on this team that can't bang because they can't run the risk of a penalty. But the adjustment in play is, for what it's worth, pretty good.

4) When I think of Brown this year, I think of Jack Lengyll's theory regarding Marshall football when he was training a bunch of freshmen, basketball players, baseball players, and never-would-be's on his football team. Obviously I'm not comparing Brown's injuries to the tragedy of the Marshall plane crash, but this is what I mean. When Coach Lengyll asssembled his team, he wanted to run the offense of the times - a Power I, 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense. He realized that his offensive linemen could be manhandled by the coaching staff and realized the Power I wasn't going to work. The movie We are Marshall depicts something that actually happened - he took his playbook and stood in front of a chalk board and said, "Well Power I - can't run it, can't do it. Gotta change our thinking" and drops the playbook in the trash. He goes up to WVU and learns an entire new offense over 2 days. I'm willing to bet Brendan Whittet looked at his team, took his playbook, put it in drawer of his desk, and said, "Ok. Now what." It's tough to do, and Brown's going to LOSE A LOT. But at the same time, the fact that they're competitive is a testament to how hard this team is working to begin with.
                          Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Humanoid, I completely agree with everything you said. This team has been remarkably steady in the face of almost comical amounts of adversity and injuries.

As for last night's game: typical Brown-Dartmouth. We can never seem to beat the Green. Marco DeFilippo proved beyond all doubt that he'll never be a starter-quality (though he deserves props for playing through the knee injury). The offense was definitely missing Chris Zaires, and the defense showed how perilously thin it is at the moment.

With that said, we can beat Harvard this afternoon. They're nothing special, and we should have at least tied them in Cambridge.

Comment

Kick start my heart is back! Time to step it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                                Humanoid, I completely agree with everything you said. This team has been remarkably steady in the face of almost comical amounts of adversity and injuries.

As for last night's game: typical Brown-Dartmouth. We can never seem to beat the Green. Marco DeFilippo proved beyond all doubt that he'll never be a starter-quality (though he deserves props for playing through the knee injury). The offense was definitely missing Chris Zaires, and the defense showed how perilously thin it is at the moment.

With that said, we can beat Harvard this afternoon. They're nothing special, and we should have at least tied them in Cambridge.
                                Some thoughts after this weekend:

1. Very proud that Brendan Whittet is our coach. This team has bought in, hook, line and sinker. They outskated Dartmouth for long periods of the game, and two mistakes cost them the game, as the Bears beat themselves. To bounce back against Harvard and dominate the Crimson was impressive. I like that this team has not used the "if only we had..." as an excuse, whether related to injury, defection, etc.

2. I've sang his praises before, but Jeffrey Ryan was awesome this weekend, terrific tonight with an absolute laser beam of a shot and great, consistent energy.

3. Matt Lorito is making everyone around him better,

4. Brandon Pfeil has made the transition from would-be 5th defenseman to top pairing guy seamlessly. He is playing with a ton of confidence and gave the Bears terrific shifts down the stretch, particularly after it looked like Robertson got a stinger after crashing into the boards.

5. Mark Naclerio is getting better every week.

On to Cornell and Colgate. I'm refusing to get too high after today, but in front of a great crowd, the Bears were completely dominant.

Comment

Working...
                                X