Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2012-2013:Climbing the ECAC Ladder

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
    Tough loss on Widman. Anyone at Bright see the injury? Is it too late for a redshirt? Ugh.
    Shouldn't be too late. I think that as long as you've played less than 20% of either the regular season or total amount of games you could possibly play, then you can still redshirt. 4/29 or 4/31 is less than 20%. I don't know how Ivy rules work tho.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
      Shouldn't be too late. I think that as long as you've played less than 20% of either the regular season or total amount of games you could possibly play, then you can still redshirt. 4/29 or 4/31 is less than 20%. I don't know how Ivy rules work tho.
      I would imagine he'd redshirt. I have a feeling, though, the stupid Ivy rules will somehow screw him.
      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

http://brownhockeyblog.blogspot.com/

Here are my week 2 thoughts. Preview of this weekend's game to come later in the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
          I would imagine he'd redshirt. I have a feeling, though, the stupid Ivy rules will somehow screw him.
          The Ivy League provides for a maximum of five consecutive years of eligibility counting from the day a student matriculates. However, before discussing the allegedly "stupid Ivy rules," consider whether you'd be willing to pay an additional $60,000 for your own son to play hockey at Brown for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
            I believe Widman is out for the year. Not sure about Lappin.
            Both Nate Widman and Kyle Quick are allegedly out for the year. Lappin may be back this weekend to play against his father's Alma Mater.

Comment

That's the first I am hearing of the Quick injury being that significant, which makes that another tough loss. That would leave Brown with only the six defensemen. Not a good situation. I'm wondering if we may see the McMonagle - that is, a forward who can serve the team better on the blue line being moved back.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                That's the first I am hearing of the Quick injury being that significant, which makes that another tough loss. That would leave Brown with only the six defensemen. Not a good situation. I'm wondering if we may see the McMonagle - that is, a forward who can serve the team better on the blue line being moved back.
                Actually, without Widman and Quick, Brown would have seven able-bodied defensemen. Let's not forget that Greg Tang (5) is primarily a defenseman. Tang played well in the practice game against Harvard. I'd never seen him play before, but he semed to skate and pass well, and I also liked that whenever he had the opportunity to take a shot from the point, he did it. Division I coaches are understandbly biased towards bigger defensemen, but I don't think we should dismiss Tang prematurely, and certainly not because of his size.

The injuries open up an opportunity for Pantziris to prove that he belongs. He came to Brown with great credentials but had a problem cracking the lineup last year.

Last Saturday I was impressed by the assurance with which defensemen Brandon Pfeil and Taki Pantziris moved the puck against Dartmouth. Both also have a good shot from the point. I wonder how much difference they might make to Brown's struggling power play.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                  Last Saturday I was impressed by the assurance with which defensemen Brandon Pfeil and Taki Pantziris moved the puck against Dartmouth. Both also have a good shot from the point. I wonder how much difference they might make to Brown's struggling power play.
                  Certainly Matt Wahl and Dennis Robertson aren't doing anything for the power play though hell will freeze over before the coaching staff takes them off the PP. Teams seem to know that if pressured at the point, Robertson will cough up the puck, resulting in a short-handed opportunity. Robertson isn't shooting enough, either. Maybe a return to the umbrella power play will free Robertson to shoot more.

Comment

Any comments from those attending the weekend games? From afar, it seems that Bruno is more than a work in progress and has the potential to move up the standings. marco seems to be getting better with more game experience.

Comment

This season is going to be frustrating. I think they have the talent to contend but can't seem to find the guy who scores the big goal in the end to get the win.
                      Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                        Any comments from those attending the weekend games? From afar, it seems that Bruno is more than a work in progress and has the potential to move up the standings. marco seems to be getting better with more game experience.
                        On the positive side:
                        1. This group of guys is persistent and never gives up.
                        2. The coaches have made a few adjustments to the power play, which are beginning to show results.
                        3. The PK appears to be solid.
                        4. Mike Juola's play has taken a quantum leap as his skating has improved. Juola could always handle the puck. Now, he also seems to be moving much better. If he gets untracked, it'll be a plus for Brown, particularly on the power play. He was a big point getter (mainly assists) in juniors.
                        5. Dennis Robertson had an outstanding game on Saturday afternoon after a somewhat shaky performance on Friday evening, when he perhaps tried to do too much. Robertson is an excellent captain, with a great sense of priorities: with Robertson its always about the team, not about himself. His strong leadership bodes well for the Bears.
                        6. Matt Harlow looks considerably stronger than a year ago. As he's gotten stronger, his terrific skills are becoming more and more evident.
                        7. Defensemen Brandon Pfeil (freshman) and Taki Pantziris (sophomore) are beginning to show that they belong.
                        8. And, last but not least, I couldn't be happier to have Matt Lorito on our side.

Comment

Check out my thoughts from this past weekend! Feel free (nay, encouraged!) to comment if you so please.

Euler, I agree with all of your points. There's a bright future for the hockey team on College Hill. We just don't know how soon the future will come.

Comment

Injuries, speculation, and a welcome to new goaltender Joe Mello.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

Injuries, speculation, and a welcome to new goaltender Joe Mello.
                              Good post as usual on the blog. Having some trouble posting to it so I will respond here.

The three defensive pairings you have appear to be working well. Each of the pairs are complementing the other. I would just like to see more scoring from Robertson and Wahl who are capable of doing that. From the disallowed goal. Robertson's hard shot has regained the accuracy he had his first year. Euler mentioned Greg Tang as an addition. I would rather see him take some shifts than moving a forward. Size does not bother me as Brown has had some solid Ds of his stature starting with Jummy Anderson in the early'90s. If a forward is to be moved, I would suggest Siers do to his size and strength but not sure about his mobility.

Next 3 games should show a lot about this team. Last year when Brown went to its non-league schedule was about the time when the wheels fell off. I don't see brendan allowing that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                                Euler mentioned Greg Tang as an addition. I would rather see him take some shifts than moving a forward.
                                He's listed as a forward on the roster. I had thought he was a defenseman, but upon reviewing the roster, saw an "F" next to his name. Puzzling.

Comment

Working...
                                X